Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drinking when flying into Dubai

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not an issue flying to Dubai from London, but I do recall a few years back when flying to Heathrow from Johannesberg via Abu Dhabi on Emirates that just before the plane entered Saudi Arabian air space it was announced there would be no more alcohol served on board as a result.

I’ve flown in and out of Saudi.....usual drill is that they stop serving just before entering/just after leaving Saudi airspace. On the way hone, the cabin crew are basically mobbed for booze as everyone has been dry for a week or two [emoji23][emoji23]

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I’ve flown in and out of Saudi.....usual drill is that they stop serving just before entering/just after leaving Saudi airspace. On the way hone, the cabin crew are basically mobbed for booze as everyone has been dry for a week or two [emoji23][emoji23]

We'd be airborne for nearly 10 hours, it was a daytime flight and not that many British were on it, so nobody was drinking really when they pulled it. :D

Edit to my original post: It was Etihad I was on to AD - not Emirates.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Drinking is not the problem, being a **** is.

A bit of common sense and you're fine, a few beers an a grinning appearance no problem, commode hugging drunk with puke down your shirt and dribbling then prison here you come for a game of "pick up soap".

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

I found it hilarious and Hippocratic when leaving Saudi, the moment the doors were shut the Arab men were throwing back the whiskey like it was the end of the world and the girls all paraded off to the toilets to change into their skinny jeans/short shirts and crop top tee-shirts.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I found it hilarious and Hippocratic when leaving Saudi, the moment the doors were shut the Arab men were throwing back the whiskey like it was the end of the world and the girls all paraded off to the toilets to change into their skinny jeans/short shirts and crop top tee-shirts.

Exactly that.....l

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

and yet you don't respect their confidentiality?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Drinking when flying into Dubai

Largely depends upon if traveling as a passenger or pilot

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Same as it ever was. The Gulf Air flights from Dhahran/Bahrain to Bangkok were "who can get to the wc first" to change into Western clothes. First off the plane and into the bars and girly bars in Patpong or later Soi Cowboy.

bhachris

Nov 20, 2011
I’m sure it’s never a good idea to arrive at any country a little worse for wear, but once in Dubai, my goodness.

If your lucky enough to catch a Friday brunch somewhere, very reasonable entry fees, every body is very civilised and dressed to the nines. To start with. Then you basically get alcohol offered from every direction, champagne glasses topped up every ten minutes, everybody gets trollied. The civilisation that started the afternoon is turned into complete debortury. Then usually the party carries on elsewhere.

So, it’s technically illegal to be drunk in Dubai, but unless your causing trouble, nobody cares.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
I’m in the UAE next week on business, mostly in Abu Dhabi but flying into Dubai for logistical reasons. I’m fortunate enough to have secured a business class seat in an Emirates A380 which should be a pretty nice experience, but for anyone who’s flown into Dubai recently, what’s the craic with drinking mid-flight?

I know drinking in Dubai is generally ok so long as you don’t get blatantly pìssed up in public or do anything stupid (neither of which do I intend to do). But is it ok to indulge in a glass of wine and a couple of beers on the plane or am I best steering completely clear? You read the odd horror story, but realistically is there a genuine risk that a whiff of booze on my breath when going through security sees me spending the rest of 2019 in a UAE prison?

Taking into consideration recent treatment of travellers i hope that the majority of customers will avoid Dubai leading to release of those who have been treated very badly,travel agents could well give suitable advice

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Taking into consideration recent treatment of travellers i hope that the majority of customers will avoid Dubai leading to release of those who have been treated very badly,travel agents could well give suitable advice

This makes no difference to results, so let's not waste any time on this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here