Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Then the first time he stood and, at full voice, called the referee a w@nker, I died a little inside. It had seemed a sensible way to approach the issue of swearing with a pre-teen but, in hindsight, I'd really have preferred it had I never had to hear him say it.
I imagine that was made all the more embarrassing, at the time, by the fact the ref was actually being a ****.

[MENTION=30536]BigBod[/MENTION] as others have said the family section is there for a reason, and the club goes over and above when catering for the kids.
There's usually face painting, balloon modelling, a magician type performance.
They even had a fella doing 'crazy' science experiments.
If they are not on the concourse and at half time most seem to bundle down the front of the stand for a charge about.
Occasionally the odd player (you all know who) will come over to say hello.

Being the seasoned pro's that they now are, the only time I see Stat Club Juniors is when they are sat next to me during the game.

Say what you want about modern football, but none of that was happening when I was a lad.

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
I took my grandson to his first game early on in the season, before we went into the NS. I said to him " now you are going into a drink fuelled atmosphere where the older male /and sometimes female members will shout abuse and use really bad swearing, so when we get home I don't want to hear you repeat it, thankyou". And he replied "Of course I won't you silly old c**t my mum will f***ing well kill me !!!" and "if I don't want to hear all of that I would have requested that you take me in the family section you grey haired wanker !!":D:D

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Probably best to keep her away from those negative vibes next time.

yes swearing is great; however, angrily shouting fu#king cu#t every 5 seconds in the presence of kids isn't cool.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's not going to change, its where all sorts of bankers, lawyers accountants, bus drivers etc etc can go where they can hurl foul abuse about and say that is acceptable. Try doing it in the cinema or Sainsburys and you are out the door. So either say that those swearing are rude and ignorant but they are words they will hear eventually anyway or don't take them.

My sister in law allows my brother the use of the C word once a day and 3 F words. Bearing in mind like myself he works on the buildings he does sometimes find it difficult where the C word is quite common to say the least, so it's tricky. The other night though when Cliff Richard came on the tv he had to ask to use a whole weeks supply up in advance. Knowing how much he hates Cliff Richard she agreed to his request.
I cannot see Noel Edmonds without shouting out something crude and foul. I have tried.

And those w.ankers at Sainsbury ran out of Punk IPA the other day.............. Cvnts.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Why should they stop swearing for your kid, if you were in the family stand and mouthing off I could see your gripe, but if you take them to the North its part and Parcel of the North.

I dont get the big deal with parents these days, I was always warned about swearing and if I was caught using it I'd be in trouble. Kids will have heard most things by 7 anyway apart from maybe the ****.

If you dont want her to hear swearing dont take her in the north, dont expect people to change how they behave just for you.

I take my 9 year old daughter and she is now in her 4th year of holding her season ticket. When we first moved to the Amex, I got our tickets in the family stand, stayed there for 2 seasons but for the Palace league match we needed an extra seat for my father in law so moved to the North East Corner. The atmosphere was cracking and she LOVED it. She asked if we could move there, so now in the 2nd season of having our seats in the NE. She knows the deal, I have spoken to her that because of where we sit she might hear some swear words and hear more shouting etc. What she hears at the football isn't to be repeated at home. Had no problems what so ever.

But would definitely recommend if someone doesn't want their kids hearing that, the Family stand is the way to go.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My sister in law allows my brother the use of the C word once a day and 3 F words. Bearing in mind like myself he works on the buildings he does sometimes find it difficult where the C word is quite common to say the least, so it's tricky. The other night though when Cliff Richard came on the tv he had to ask to use a whole weeks supply up in advance. Knowing how much he hates Cliff Richard she agreed to his request.
I cannot see Noel Edmonds without shouting out something crude and foul. I have tried.

And those w.ankers at Sainsbury ran out of Punk IPA the other day.............. Cvnts.

The Cliff/ Noel conundrum is a social minefield though as strangely there are a closet minority that do like them. As for the Punk IPA I'm feeling hopped out now. Was in the Hare and Hounds yesterday and other than the Meantime IPA and the Punk Dog IPA they had Meantime Pale and 5 out of 6 hand pumps disgorging Pale/IPA/APA. One pump had a Porter thankfully but sometimes a man longs for a nice brown ale.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Cliff/ Noel conundrum is a social minefield though as strangely there are a closet minority that do like them. As for the Punk IPA I'm feeling hopped out now. Was in the Hare and Hounds yesterday and other than the Meantime IPA and the Punk Dog IPA they had Meantime Pale and 5 out of 6 hand pumps disgorging Pale/IPA/APA. One pump had a Porter thankfully but sometimes a man longs for a nice brown ale.

Haha ha grandad. How's your gramophone ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
[MENTION=12486]Husty[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] missing the point too, nice one.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Doesn't usually bother me. I sit in the North stand for the atmosphere and like it there. I've been going to footie since the 70's so I know the score.

My littleun is getting into footie now, she is 7 and has been to Chelsea about half a dozen times with me and to Brighton on Boxing day. Taking her to Brigthon again on the 17th, the day of her Birthday as that is what she wants to do. I'm chuffed about that.

The swearing on Boxing Day from right behind me made me feel quite uncomfortable with my littleun being there. I never ever swear when she is about, I have tried explaining to her that it is just part of the football and that she will hear bad words and that she shouldn't use them....

I aint no prude (ex sailor of 8 years) and I swear with the best of them in certain circumstances, but if there are kids about I just don't do it.

I nearly turned round to say something but bit my tongue, and that's not like me...lol....

It's not really nescessary to swear with every other word, is it?

Go in the ****ing family stand then you utter drip.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Doesn't usually bother me. I sit in the North stand for the atmosphere and like it there. I've been going to footie since the 70's so I know the score.

My littleun is getting into footie now, she is 7 and has been to Chelsea about half a dozen times with me and to Brighton on Boxing day. Taking her to Brigthon again on the 17th, the day of her Birthday as that is what she wants to do. I'm chuffed about that.

The swearing on Boxing Day from right behind me made me feel quite uncomfortable with my littleun being there. I never ever swear when she is about, I have tried explaining to her that it is just part of the football and that she will hear bad words and that she shouldn't use them....

I aint no prude (ex sailor of 8 years) and I swear with the best of them in certain circumstances, but if there are kids about I just don't do it.

I nearly turned round to say something but bit my tongue, and that's not like me...lol....

It's not really nescessary to swear with every other word, is it?

It's BRIGHTON, you can't even spell our teams name correctly, f*** off back to Chelsae :lolol::D

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Seriously, you should not be taking your kid to the North stand if you do not like bad language.

It's a bit like standing in a pub and complaining that people are drunk and the club have always made it clear that if you're going in the north then the language will (not maybe but WILL) be more colourful.

I sometimes swear at matches and especially in the heat of the moment after a bad refereeing decision and if you'd had turned round to complain to me about my language, I would have told you to move.

The club try to cater for everyone but sometimes, and especially in circumstances like this, fans have to use their common sense and help the club out.

I miss your rants, the WSU hasn't been the same since you moved :D

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I sit in ESU with my 11 year old son and 74 year old dad - my dad utters the odd bo**ocks and bu**er -my son realises it is just grandad voicing his opinion . My son knows not to swear and as yet hasn't (to my knowledge) - for me it is not swearing that I necessarily have an issue with but more the sentiment behind it. For example a frustrated sh*t or bu**er is ok but must admit an aggressive c bomb or repeated w*nker I am not so happy about. But hey ho it is football so as others have said it should be about passion

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
If it's any help to some of you parents, when I was a wee nipper I was told the "Oooohhhh, you're shit-aaaaa" was "Oooohhhh, you shaddduppp". I believed it for a while!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It has something to do with age and demographic, as does manners.
I only swear under extreme circumstances and consider it a sign of stupidity, even when I do it, which is rare.
It does nothing to enhance and is derogatory.
I still enjoyed going to plenty of games without having to resort to this kind of thing.
Just because others are doing it, doesn't mean everyone has to, we have choices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here