Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Another
All bad news=Fault of Brexit.
All good=wonderful EU.

I don’t think anyone on here has suggested that. At all.

Of course some good news is occurring. Not all industry is going to grind to a halt. But one would have to be blind and deaf not to realise that Brexit is causing massive disruption to commerce.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You're food is getting more expensive.

[tweet]1097819350759817216[/tweet]

But we have to understand that....

Capture.JPG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have pointed this out before, but Cameron had it confirmed that it was/is the case that the UK cannot be compelled to sign up to any further treaties, join the Euro etc. without any loss of current status in the EU. It was also the case that any new treaty or amendment to existing treaties that would change our relationship with the EU would have to be agreed to by the people via a UK referendum.
The upshot is, nothing would change for the UK/EU relationship, unless the UK population allowed it, by majority vote.

Regulations also change our relationship ...... now do we get the chance to veto them or have a referendum on them ? Ahhhhhh ...... :facepalm:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don’t think anyone on here has suggested that. At all.

Of course some good news is occurring. Not all industry is going to grind to a halt. But one would have to be blind and deaf not to realise that Brexit is causing massive disruption to commerce.

How many times have remainers posted about positive things in the economy? Before the referendum and in the campaign many here and elsewhere told us that we would be in recession if we voted to leave etc.

It also applies the other way, in the interests of fairness. I believe we are all too entrenched in our positions to really listen to one another.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have one of you remainers called Dave just called in to Radio 2?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
As I said earlier and you ignored, I don't ever recall anyone saying that you can't go on holiday after Brexit.

Maybe you could show us 'the sad sack' where this was said ? Because I'm sure you wouldn't have made it up ???

You seemed to allude earlier that I was not sure where I was going or how I would able to get there, if you’re looking for sad sacks have a look in the mirror.

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
It makes no sense that they would swap a plant that employs 3500 highly skilled workers located a stone's throw away from one of their biggest markets in favour of relocating back to Japan. There are famously documented shortages of skilled labourers here and they would also be subject to vastly increased shipping costs to transport all those now Japan-side built cars back to Europe. If The UK remained in the EU, these Japanese car companies would still have tariff free access to the European market without having to worry about the costs of relocating back to Japan, training up a boat load of unskilled Brazilian migrants to the same level as the highly skilled British workers and shipping a shit load of cars the best part of 6000 miles from where they were built.

You have given in to knee-jerk contrarianism and failed to think this post through before posting it up in haste for point scoring purposes.

Your post would hold some water but for the phrase 'all European operations will move to Japan' in the press information. Which will obviously include their operations in Belguim ..... who aren't leaving the EU.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another
All bad news=Fault of Brexit.
All good=wonderful EU.

As much as I was just having a bit of a giggle with my comment, the fact remains (no pun intended) the employment figures are from a time within the EU.
Where as all the projected closures are post Brexit.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As much as I was just having a bit of a giggle with my comment, the fact remains (no pun intended) the employment figures are from a time within the EU.
Where as all the projected closures are post Brexit.
Remainers told us many times that all these things would currently be in full swing. In fact, as I said before, project fear told us that we would be in a full blown recession. Personally i don't believe the remainers, but then neither do i necessarily believe leavers projections either.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Two different things. That article correctly points out loss of national sovereignty was a by product of joining the EEC - a fact impossible to disagree with ( although a few remainers on this thread still deny we lost any sovereignty ! ). What we're talking about is the cover up of the 'ever closer union' once we had joined. Something Ted Heath absolutely has admitted was not spoken about so not to scare people into voting leave.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Two different things. That article correctly points out loss of national sovereignty was a by product of joining the EEC - a fact impossible to disagree with ( although a few remainers on this thread still deny we lost any sovereignty ! ). What we're talking about is the cover up of the 'ever closer union' once we had joined. Something Ted Heath absolutely has admitted was not spoken about so not to scare people into voting leave.

1. Ted Heath wasn't PM for the 1975 referendum. He wasn't even leader of The Tory party.
2. 'Ever Closer Union' is mentioned on page 2 of the 1957 Treaty of Rome. - https://ec.europa.eu/romania/sites/romania/files/tratatul_de_la_roma.pdf

Did Michael Foot, Tony Benn, Enoch Powell et al not spot this this blindingly obvious fact then when campaigning for a 'no' vote?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Er, however accurate that tweet from Gove, it is right in this case isn't it? Or would you like imports that the EU themselves consider unfit for human consumption?

There isn't any form of Brexit where we hold all the cards, it is now blindingly obvious that this has not been the case over the last 2 and a half years.

Trying telling that to the 20-30,000 people that are going to effected by the Honda closure

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Er, however accurate that tweet from Gove, it is right in this case isn't it? Or would you like imports that the EU themselves consider unfit for human consumption?

Strictly-speaking, you are right - the UK will be able to pick and chose what trade deals it wishes to sign. The reasonable worry is that in a post-Brexit real world, having put the current 98 trade deals it has as an EU member in the bin for an indeterminate period, the country will be seriously on the back foot. Our criticisms of the emirs will have to be muted... we'll have to think carefully before floating our boats in the south China Sea... foreign policy will be compromised by economic neediness. And on the question of food quality and animal welfare... https://www.sustainweb.org/news/dec18_us_chlorine_chicken_sanchez/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here