Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Players not knowing the rules - Part 93001

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'll admit I had to look it up. But almost to a man, the Watford players complained when the lino made them retake a free kick that didn't leave the area. Turns out it isn't just goal kicks that applies to.

If, when a free kick is taken by the defending team inside its penalty area, the ball is not kicked directly out of the penalty area the kick is retaken.

Don't know if that is a recent change or is long standing but it is concerning how often professional footballers don't know the laws of the game.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
I'll admit I had to look it up. But almost to a man, the Watford players complained when the lino made them retake a free kick that didn't leave the area. Turns out it isn't just goal kicks that applies to.

If, when a free kick is taken by the defending team inside its penalty area, the ball is not kicked directly out of the penalty area the kick is retaken.

Don't know if that is a recent change or is long standing but it is concerning how often professional footballers don't know the laws of the game.

They then retook the goal kick outside the 6 yard box near the penalty spot.

It would actually be a great way to waste time.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Pretty sure it’s been a rule for many years, as has opponents being required to be outside the area when such a free kick is taken.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Pretty sure it’s been a rule for many years, as has opponents being required to be outside the area when such a free kick is taken.

Yeah I believe its always been around. However some of the new FIFA game changes coming in whenever that is, apparently includes not having to kick it out of the box, goal or free kick. I read that on some footy page recently. Could be right, could be wrong.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Thought it probably was but as a spectator, we don't need to know the laws to that level. But a whole team of players not knowing is a bit worrying.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
They then retook the goal kick outside the 6 yard box near the penalty spot.

It would actually be a great way to waste time.

Simple way to resolve that is to award an indirect free kick if a player touches it before it leaves the penalty box.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This has been a law for years.

Also Watford took a goal kick when two of our players were still inside their box, the referee should have made them retake the kick however this would have just slowed down the play and we gained no advantage, but technically no opposing player should be in the box and the goalkick should be retaken.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Im not at all surprised tbh. Some players are hardly the sharpest tools in the box are they? As long as they can run, kick a ball, & pick up their paycheck, Im sure thats all a lot of them are bothered about knowing.
After all, Murray still doesn't seem to know the offside rule, & thats one of the more basic things to know in football...

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The one that got me recently (fan not knowing the rules rather than player) is that the free kick resulting from an offside decision can be in the offending player's half. The reason being they are standing in the opponent's half in an offside position when a ball is played forward. No offence is committed until they challenge for the ball and it is where the challenge takes place that the free kick is given. Therefore if the offside player runs into his own half to challenge for the ball he concedes a free kick in his own half for offside.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I had a proper barney with a bloke going mental sat near me, that the ref didn't know what he was doing :dunce:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The one that got me recently (fan not knowing the rules rather than player) is that the free kick resulting from an offside decision can be in the offending player's half. The reason being they are standing in the opponent's half in an offside position when a ball is played forward. No offence is committed until they challenge for the ball and it is where the challenge takes place that the free kick is given. Therefore if the offside player runs into his own half to challenge for the ball he concedes a free kick in his own half for offside.

To be fair, first time I saw that it got me.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Im not at all surprised tbh. Some players are hardly the sharpest tools in the box are they? As long as they can run, kick a ball, & pick up their paycheck, Im sure thats all a lot of them are bothered about knowing.
After all, Murray still doesn't seem to know the offside rule, & thats one of the more basic things to know in football...

Great BANTER.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Not many do know this - as the recent uproar when it happened at the Amex proved.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
to be fair it the sort of rule that doesnt seem to have any purpose and expect rarely rises.

The one that got me recently (fan not knowing the rules rather than player)...

i see im not the only one this is news for, another obscure one that i expect is very rare.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One that was highlighted following a recent penalty against us, is that if a player in an offside position goes for the ball (and IMO should be instantly offside), and that player gets fouled as they go for the ball, it's a foul, not offside.

Stupid rule.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
One that was highlighted following a recent penalty against us, is that if a player in an offside position goes for the ball (and IMO should be instantly offside), and that player gets fouled as they go for the ball, it's a foul, not offside.

Stupid rule.

doesnt compute... the offside offense occurred first, how does this not count as"being active" nonsense?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
doesnt compute...
Doesn't compute for me either, but when a penalty was recently given against Kayal (I think, maybe the Leicester game?), someone posted a link to the FIFA rule.
the offside offense occurred first, how does this not count as"being active" nonsense?
I agree.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Well, he's still quite young. He'll grow out of it.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
doesnt compute... the offside offense occurred first, how does this not count as"being active" nonsense?

A referee would argue that he ISN'T offside as he hasn't touched the ball, but shirley he's interfering with play?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here