Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 man squad

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The problem is clubs aren't willing to loose players in January so prices are always higher than in the summer. We are not in need of any additions and the risk of signing a player now who is over priced and doesn't improve us as he needs a pre-season to get up to speed is a risk that TB, PB & CH are unlikely to take.

If we find someone we have been monitoring who becomes available at a reasonable price than we might sign someone but unlikely to sign anyone

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To add to my previous more mischievous post, Ali J will be back for Watford, match-fit and raring to go. CH has also indicated that Izquierdo should be returning to full (ie non-gym; with other players) training imminently.
It's become abundantly clear to me that we need a central striker, but I'd sincerely doubt that we'll pick up the right type of signing in this window.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Be a bit odd going into the rest of the season with a squad of 22 of which 2 are still injured? I can see us bringing at least one player in?

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not so sure it's that odd. I've said a few times that a squad of 25 is pretty massive – especially as there will be (and have been before) players sat around doing nothing and nowhere near the matchday squad. Given the size of that squad, even with 22, there are still another four bodies that could potentially cover more injuries or suspensions.

Having said that, CH and his team will probably SWOOP for one or two by Thursday to make up the numbers :lol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not so sure it's that odd. I've said a few times that a squad of 25 is pretty massive – especially as there will be (and have been before) players sat around doing nothing and nowhere near the matchday squad. Given the size of that squad, even with 22, there are still another four bodies that could potentially cover more injuries or suspensions.

Having said that, CH and his team will probably SWOOP for one or two by Thursday to make up the numbers :lol:

It also neglects to take into account that there's plenty of u23s that are pushing for the squad -- and don't need to be named in it -- that several other posters are expressing disappointment because they're not getting any game time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It also neglects to take into account that there's plenty of u23s that are pushing for the squad -- and don't need to be named in it -- that several other posters are expressing disappointment because they're not getting any game time.

Hmmmm, something that'll probably change quite soon after getting game time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
1. Ryan
2. Button ( HGP )
3. Steele ( HGP )
4. Bruno
5. Montoya
6. Bernardo
7. Bong
8. Balogun
9. Dunk ( HGP )
10. Duffy ( HGP )
11. Burn ( HGP )
12. Stephens ( HGP )
13. Kayal
14. Bissouma
15. Pröpper
16. Groß
U21. Sanders
17. Jahanbakhsh
18. Knockaert
19. Izquierdo
20. March ( HGP )
21. Ahannach
22. Murray ( HGP )
23. Andone
24. Locadia
25. Unused Squad Place
U21. Gyokeres

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
1. Ryan
2. Button ( HGP )
3. Steele ( HGP )
4. Bruno
5. Montoya
6. Bernardo
7. Bong
8. Balogun
9. Dunk ( HGP )
10. Duffy ( HGP )
11. Burn ( HGP )
12. Stephens ( HGP )
13. Kayal
14. Bissouma
15. Pröpper
16. Groß
U21. Sanders
17. Jahanbakhsh
18. Knockaert
19. Izquierdo
20. March ( HGP )
21. Ahannach
22. Murray ( HGP )
23. Andone
24. Locadia
25. Unused Squad Place
U21. Gyokeres

Hemed for the final place?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I wonder how many of our new young recruits will make the 25 next season? There is also Percy to think about too!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I wonder how many of our new young recruits will make the 25 next season? There is also Percy to think about too!
None of the new ones as they were all born after Jan 1st 1998.

However, Robert Sanchez and Ben White would need to be in the 25 man squad to play in the league.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Completely immaterial as none of them will be near the first team squad until 2020.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Be a bit odd going into the rest of the season with a squad of 22 of which 2 are still injured? I can see us bringing at least one player in?
We need to stop thinking about strengthening the squad now. We've got cover in most positions of a standard not much below that of our first choice players - and we've got some U23s starting to push for a chance (and however reluctantly, surely one or two of them will be graciously permitted to warm the bench soon).
What we do need, and what we should be concentrating on in our transfer dealings from now, is players who are better than the best ones we've got now, players who will come in and improve our first team. For the summer, that will mean one (or two at the most) expensive player(s), not a load of lesser players to 'strengthen the squad'.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
None of the new ones as they were all born after Jan 1st 1998.

However, Robert Sanchez and Ben White would need to be in the 25 man squad to play in the league.

Both Ben White and Robert Sanchez still qualify as under 21's so don't need to be named in the PL 25 man squad. The cut off for the 2018 - 19 season is players born on or after January 1st 1997 are under 21's. The year of qualification is set at the start of the season not the calendar year.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Both Ben White and Robert Sanchez still qualify as under 21's so don't need to be named in the PL 25 man squad. The cut off for the 2018 - 19 season is players born on or after January 1st 1997 are under 21's. The year of qualification is set at the start of the season not the calendar year.
We were talking about next season - the 2019/20 one.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Apologies, I thought we were talking about the vacancy in the current squad.
The overall issue is interesting though as next season Barclay, White, Sanchez, Walton and maybe Tau would need to be in the squad to play. We even technically have an option on Towell, but he is surely gone. Sanchez will no doubt go on loan, but what about Walton ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here