Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best New Order album

Best New Order albums (can choose 3 max)

• Movement

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Power, Corruption and Lies

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Low-Life

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Brotherhood

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Technique

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Get Ready

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Republic

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Wiating for the Sirens' Call

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Lost Sirens

• Music Complete

• Total voters

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
They could be very hit and miss couldn't they? I went to a couple of their concerts where they were absolutely dire and out of sorts. Whereas I also went to Hammersmith Palais in 1985, which is probably one of the best concerts I have ever been to. And they even did an encore!

That was quite an interesting evening of life before mobile phones. I agreed to meet up with my mate in 'the pub nearest the tube exit at Hammersmith'. Didn't realise that a) the station is large and there was more than one exit, and pubs on every corner! Basically, we spent an hour or so both wandering between pubs keeping on missing each other.

I'm pretty sure I was at that Hammersmith Palais gig.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm pretty sure I was at that Hammersmith Palais gig.

I remember the encore, because for some reason that I can't recall now I had a large bag with me (maybe I was coming home from a holiday or something, which is why I was meeting my mate rather than going with him from Brighton) - anyway, I had to check it in to the cloakroom, and it was only because I was queuing up for a quarter of an hour or so that I was still there when they came back on again.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I wasn't at that one, but I was at Jenkinson's when they played there in March 1981, which I guess still counts as 'early'...

I was earlier...

I lived in London at the time.

I was at a 'The Sound' gig somewhere in London (Covent Garden, I think) when they were selling tickets to see New Order's first ever gig in this country, at Heaven nightclub - the next day, or a week or so later. Obviously, me and my mates bought some.

The whole thing was odd, the gig was secret, so much so that I still didn't believe it was actually happening until I saw the crowds of people outside Heaven. Obviously no social media in those days, and I had heard no mention of it anywhere else.

Stockholm Monsters were the support band, and played the entire gig with their backs to the audience.Then it was New Order. Great gig, mostly because of the utterly celebratory nature of the homecoming crowd.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
I was earlier...

I lived in London at the time.

I was at a 'The Sound' gig somewhere in London (Covent Garden, I think) when they were selling tickets to see New Order's first ever gig in this country, at Heaven nightclub - the next day, or a week or so later. Obviously, me and my mates bought some.

The whole thing was odd, the gig was secret, so much so that I still didn't believe it was actually happening until I saw the crowds of people outside Heaven. Obviously no social media in those days, and I had heard no mention of it anywhere else.

Stockholm Monsters were the support band, and played the entire gig with their backs to the audience.Then it was New Order. Great gig, mostly because of the utterly celebratory nature of the homecoming crowd.

Wouldn't have been their first UK performance, that was at The Squat in Manchester 7 months earlier.

Jez Kerr of ACR tells a story about once having to play a gig in Salford with his back turned as he'd spotted his unemployment benefit officer in the crowd and didn't want him to know he was earning whilst signed on!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I remember a similar debate over the years as to whether Joy Division performed at the very same venue. Going by this brilliant piece, it was booked but didn't happen due to Ian's death. But [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] ... it looks like you're correct, New Order performed there very early on.

http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/arts/alumni-and-associates/the-history-of-arts-education-in-brighton/the-art-college-basement-some-recollections

About 4/10 down the webpage.

Phew! That brings back some memories, really miss all the great little venues that Brighton had back then :(

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Phew! That brings back some memories, really miss all the great little venues that Brighton had back then :(

I only came in at the end of it from about 1982 onwards, for both clubbing and gigs, but I still remember dozens of small venues (plus The Argus ad's pages were full of them). Alhambra, the old Savanna under the Queens Hotel's west end, The Basement, The New Regent, the old Kings Club under the gravelly car park (now Jury's Waterfront Hotel), etc etc. Plus some amazing gigs at the 2,000 capacity Top Rank Suite.

Great memories, lucky to have come from the Brighton area.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I only came in at the end of it from about 1982 onwards, for both clubbing and gigs, but I still remember dozens of small venues (plus The Argus ad's pages were full of them). Alhambra, the old Savanna under the Queens Hotel's west end, The Basement, The New Regent, the old Kings Club under the gravelly car park (now Jury's Waterfront Hotel), etc etc. Plus some amazing gigs at the 2,000 capacity Top Rank Suite.

Great memories, lucky to have come from the Brighton area.

You missed the Hungry Years then? :rock: :)

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Have just finished reading Hooky's books about Joy Division and New Order. Absolutely bloody brilliant, would thoroughly recommend, nay urge, everyone to read them. Would love to meet the man, he sounds like a great storyteller and glad it seems like he's sorted himself out now.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I remember it well, but in my era it was Heavy Metal .... music I detest, so I never went there. Instead, probably going to the other 40 or 50 venues over a 20 year 'career'. :rave::drink::rock:

Oh it was hippy rock in my era with a slight infiltration of mellow punk (as far as I can recall, feels like 100 YEARS ago!)

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
Perhaps don't tell him it's Music Complete (which is a cracker) because (of course) he's not on it. He also loathes Republic, according to his weighty biography.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have just finished reading Hooky's books about Joy Division and New Order. Absolutely bloody brilliant, would thoroughly recommend, nay urge, everyone to read them. Would love to meet the man, he sounds like a great storyteller and glad it seems like he's sorted himself out now.

Lucky young [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] gets to meet Hooky at their gym.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here will do:-

[tweet]1199390109159841793[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now there is a band that should have been much much bigger than they were...

Indeed. A friend of mine had a 'thing' with Adrian the singer who, sadly, suffered from depression and killed himself (in 1997 I think). It wasn't her fault, btw.

I went with her to the gig at ULU and only one of us could get in - me and my missus at the time went elsewhere while our friend went to the gig, and the rest is history.

Sorry if this is a bounce from a year ago - someone else has just bounced the thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here