Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poyet new Bordeaux manager

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree in the main and Hughton’s squad was probably stronger, but do you think the team was?

All hypothetical but if Poyet’s team had gone up, surely he would have strengthened further.

He was an arse at the end, but personally I enjoyed the style of football, good luck to him....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think? I reckon he would have spent the close season touting himself for a bigger club and getting himself in the media to do it at every opportunity. He would then have moaned about the budget for the Premier League as he kept telling everyone how he was good enough to one day soon manage Spurs, Chelsea and even Arsenal if he got a chance :shrug:

Remember he had started to try and engineer a move after the St Patrick’s day massacre when he came out post match and said this would be a good time for him to leave

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The ego has landed .. in yet another country.

The Petulant Poyet really is becoming a journeyman manager.

I bet he won't still be there at the start of next season.

Shame, because his early time with us was brilliant, and we played some beautiful football - there was one period when we won 4-0 or 3-0 in 4 successive games. One of the 4-0 wins was away at Charlton, I recall, and even their fans gave us standing ovation after we'd trounced them, because we played with such flair.

But then his ego and belief in his own brilliance became too much, and he became arrogant and sulky, and lost the charm he once had.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
You think? I reckon he would have spent the close season touting himself for a bigger club and getting himself in the media to do it at every opportunity. He would then have moaned about the budget for the Premier League as he kept telling everyone how he was good enough to one day soon manage Spurs, Chelsea and even Arsenal if he got a chance :shrug:

Remember he had started to try and engineer a move after the St Patrick’s day massacre when he came out post match and said this would be a good time for him to leave

Actually he had offered to resign pre that game following a falling out with Paul Barber whislt Tony Bloom was wintering in Australia.

The falling out was about the recruitment potential at the club and the works of David Burke. Something Garcia also complained about and if its is to be believed, was needed to be dismantled before Hughton would take over after the Finn

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Actually he had offered to resign pre that game following a falling out with Paul Barber whislt Tony Bloom was wintering in Australia.

The falling out was about the recruitment potential at the club and the works of David Burke. Something Garcia also complained about and if its is to be believed, was needed to be dismantled before Hughton would take over after the Finn

So it was inevitable he was going. I think he had probably lost some of his powers of input and he was never going to convince Bloom to change his mind. That took two more seasons of relative lack of success and he wouldn’t have stuck around through it anyway. The fact that we sold off our best players following his dismissal bears out the change of direction over the short term.

Was Gus justified? Maybe he was but he did it in a very petulant manner.

Anyway. I wish him well.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No. He was 100% wrong !

He decided that the albion had reached their "ceiling" and could never progress beyond it. That was it. *liitle old Brighton*

What a tool. What a disrespectful tosser.

Utter, utter winker.

I don’t understand how you can say that. You’re just being blinded because he said nasty things about your club. With the structure we had in place then we couldn’t have gone much further. Things needed to change. We persevered with it for a couple more years until Bloom finally realised what was needed. Gus was right, he just went about expressing it the wrong way.

Agree in the main and Hughton’s squad was probably stronger, but do you think the team was?

All hypothetical but if Poyet’s team had gone up, surely he would have strengthened further.

He was an arse at the end, but personally I enjoyed the style of football, good luck to him....

Yeah I do. We didn’t have a player like Knockaert, and our midfield was far stronger under Hughton.

If we’d have gone up we would have strengthened, but I’m pretty sure Gus wouldn’t have hung around, he’d have been off to a bigger club at the first opportunity.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yeah I do. We didn’t have a player like Knockaert, and our midfield was far stronger under Hughton.

If we’d have gone up we would have strengthened, but I’m pretty sure Gus wouldn’t have hung around, he’d have been off to a bigger club at the first opportunity.

Hmmm. Not sure I agree, Bridcutt was in form, I would argue that Buckley and Noone combined offered as much as Knockaert, Barnes and Ulloa were more effective than Murray and Baldock.

Defensively, a younger Bruno, Bridge and Upson both had great years.

In fact I’d go as far as saying that other than Stephens, Knockaert and perhaps Dunk and Stocko, none of last seasons team would have improved Poyet’s.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I’m sure he would, but that doesn’t make his spell with us any less memorable or that team inferior.

Alternatively, perhaps having achieved the PL goal, he would have stayed whilst moaning about the budget, and then at the end of the transfer window moaned about ceilings.

When you say that he will be managing Bordeaux, will he be doing something like this?

PD32937236_France-_2815097b.jpg

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
He laid the foundations for to-day. His teams played exciting football, under a charismatic manager. A visit to the Amex always promised excitement and sometimes splendid football. Given the debacle at Sunderland I wonder, though, how he would have coped had Albion got promoted in his day. Somehow I feel that CH is a better bet to sustain Albion in the top flight.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What a lovely part of the world to go manage in. The lad is a character and therefore will always bring the best and worst out of supporters. We had a good run under him, he was given as much as the club could manage. He managed it well and came out with what is now known as a Trumpism. He should have bought a Victorian house in London, they have very high ceilings. Good luck to him, he has become a journeyman which is sad because he is actually a bloody good manager/mannaher. If I was Oatway I'd be loving the ride.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Good luck Gus.He certainly raised Albion's profile.Maybe he could scout for us in the French leagues,perhaps Tony could slip him a few Euros!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He laid the foundations for to-day. His teams played exciting football, under a charismatic manager. A visit to the Amex always promised excitement and sometimes splendid football. Given the debacle at Sunderland I wonder, though, how he would have coped had Albion got promoted in his day. Somehow I feel that CH is a better bet to sustain Albion in the top flight.

Poyet kept Sunderland up.
They sacked him the following season, for winning just one game in 12 matches.
Exactly the same run as we have at the moment.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No. He was 100% wrong !

He decided that the albion had reached their "ceiling" and could never progress beyond it. That was it. *liitle old Brighton*

What a tool. What a disrespectful tosser.

Utter, utter winker.

I don’t understand how you can say that. You’re just being blinded because he said nasty things about your club. With the structure we had in place then we couldn’t have gone much further. Things needed to change. We persevered with it for a couple more years until Bloom finally realised what was needed. Gus was right, he just went about expressing it the wrong way.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Football needs more who give an honest opinion without worrying who it will upset. Best of luck Gus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here