Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/08/uk-covid-cases-could-rise-again-despite-vaccine-progress-who-official

The WHO seem keen that lockdown or severe restrictions remain in the UK and the success we've had is due to lockdown and not vaccination. Im not sure I totally agree I think the vaccination is having some success now but these people know the virus better than anyone and we should heed their earnings.
The WHO also seem to think that the number of deaths is rising in the UK. I don't know where that comes from.

Guardian article said:
Smallwood said that despite concern over case numbers, deaths seemed to have plateaued and increased only slightly, and not at the same rate as infections. An Imperial College London study found strong evidence that the UK’s vaccine programme is breaking the link between cases and fatalities.

No offence, crodo, but you have been among the most cautious pro-lockdown posters re. this virus. So if even you think the WHO is erring on the pessimistic side, then I'm sure you'll find you're in the majority with this one.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This. The roadmap has looked sensibly cautious from the outset to me, with the gaps between stages enough to see how things are working out - given we've had over a year of this **** a few more weeks of gradually relaxing restrictions shouldn't be beyond most people. The terminally paranoid can continue with their own private lockdown if they're that worried - no-one is going to be forced to go to the football/pub/cinema/shopping centre. It's looking increasingly likely to me that our vacc programme is going to get us out of this

Agree with most of your post, excepting the bolded bit, extremely clinically vulnerable are being forced back to work, NOW and are likely to have the safety net of priority shopping slots removed from June, so it is not only the “paranoid” that are affected by the changes.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
The WHO also seem to think that the number of deaths is rising in the UK. I don't know where that comes from.

No offence, crodo, but you have been among the most cautious pro-lockdown posters re. this virus. So if even you think the WHO is erring on the pessimistic side, then I'm sure you'll find you're in the majority with this one.

There are a few weird features in that article, not least this passage:

But Smallwood cautioned that the UK “still has potential to develop its own sort of renewed resurgence of cases without any involvement from the rest of Europe”. She said the tough measures that have been in place for nearly two months were “what’s keeping the cases down at the moment – it’s not the vaccination”.

Nearly two months? Those measures have been in place nationwide since the beginning of January so it’s well over three months, and where I live in Leeds it’s been largely that way since the end of October, the only major deviation in that time being whether or not schools were open. How recent was this interview?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
One of my neighbours seems to think "...all adults have been asked to do 2 home Covid-19 tests a week...." . That's not true, is it? I understood people had been offered the opportunity, but that's not the same.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
One of my neighbours seems to think "...all adults have been asked to do 2 home Covid-19 tests a week...." . That's not true, is it? I understood people had been offered the opportunity, but that's not the same.

As far as I know it's every adult has the opportunity to take 2 tests per week. Nothing to say they have to

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Another Covid disaster unfolding this time in India.

And a nationalist-populists at the helm, USA (Trump), UK, Brazil, Hungary.....its almost like we're seeing a trend

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Why are people walking down empty streets with masks on ??? Have the government over scared the masses?
Don't think the Government could be more clear that outside is safe, hence everything we're allowed to do outside.

The MSM not getting the message out is the problem

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Don't think the Government could be more clear that outside is safe, hence everything we're allowed to do outside.

The MSM not getting the message out is the problem

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You can’t meet in groups of more than 6 outside so the message is not that’s it’s safe, which it clearly should be given the data on outdoor infections.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If someone wishes to walk down an empty street wearing a facemark it might be extremely overcautious but at the same time it might make them feel safer or they might be going between two places that need them to wear a mask and decided not to take it off in between.

Really is up to them.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Why are people walking down empty streets with masks on ??? Have the government over scared the masses?

And why should they not??

I've posted before about mask wearing here in Japan and the constant bleating about the issue coming out of the UK has had me shaking my head in disbelief regularly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I've posted before about mask wearing here in Japan and the constant bleating about the issue coming out of the UK has had me shaking my head in disbelief regularly.

Quite.....as a result of the pandemic I think we'll end up being much closer to the Asian culture around mask-wearing going forward............will be plenty that will choose to continue using them (would be useful if at some point the advice shifts to 'wear a mask if you are in public and have any kind of cold/cough')

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Quite.....as a result of the pandemic I think we'll end up being much closer to the Asian culture around mask-wearing going forward............will be plenty that will choose to continue using them (would be useful if at some point the advice shifts to 'wear a mask if you are in public and have any kind of cold/cough')

People wearing masks in Asia has come to be normal for them but it's entirely a result of bad things happening - pollution and previous pandemics being the main culprits.

I can't see it ever happening here, it's too far removed from our culture.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
People wearing masks in Asia has come to be normal for them but it's entirely a result of bad things happening - pollution and previous pandemics being the main culprits.

I can't see it ever happening here, it's too far removed from our culture.

Not entirely.......it's the norm to wear a mask when you're carrying an illness to avoid spreading germs. I think we'll see it become a lot more common here.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Masks are here to stay I have no doubt about that, and that should help the spread of other colds and respiratory infections which can be no bad thing, and should be deemed as good manners going forwards.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Masks are here to stay I have no doubt about that, and that should help the spread of other colds and respiratory infections which can be no bad thing, and should be deemed as good manners going forwards.
Masks are here to stay for those that want them. But as has been repeatedly mentioned over the past year, a certain proportion of the country had immunity to this form of coronavirus before it started, almost certainly because they have caught lesser viruses in the past. The first vaccine of all was discovered when Jenner observed that catching cowpox (a less serious disease) provided immunity from smallpox. Therefore those who want masks can by all means continue to wear them, except presumably in banks and the like; but those of us who don't want to - because we believe our immune system needs a bit of work now and then or it will be useless if and when a virus gets through - will not.

Besides which, about half a million people rely more or less wholly on lip reading and several million more, partly. It isn't good manners to them to cover your mouth up.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
And as a nation, we're a belligerent bunch of *****!

I don't think that's it, we are of course belligerent in some context but we're also very polite.
Our culture relies on facial expressions and eye contact. There's been loads of times in the last year when I've given a smile or look of acknowledgement to a stranger only to realise they can't see it and can only see me staring.

Losing the ability to smile or see smiles is pretty sad and depressing. It's just another way of disconnecting people, I hope masks are consigned to the dustbin of history this summer :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here