Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's world cup

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Low quality minority sport that gets way more coverage than it should. I've yet to meet one person who is interested in it and yet the BBC are wetting themselves with excitement over it. I sincerely hope the England team absolutely bomb and are out after 2 games. If they do progress we won't hear the last of 'the rise of women's football' / 'the prima donna males coud learn a lot from them' etc.

You are obviously not involved in grass roots or youth football. The growth in girls football in Sussex alone in the last 4 years has been phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
You are obviously not involved in grass roots or youth football. The growth in girls football in Sussex alone in the last 4 years has been phenomenal.

Genuinely glad has seen a growth. I'm all for youngsters playing sport, far better than sat in a bedroom playing on an X Station. Point I'm making however is that the coverage the women's game gets is way out of proportion to the actual interest in it. Typical right on BBC.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Genuinely glad has seen a growth. I'm all for youngsters playing sport, far better than sat in a bedroom playing on an X Station. Point I'm making however is that the coverage the women's game gets is way out of proportion to the actual interest in it. Typical right on BBC.

Hi yer Beachy - where can I get hold of one of those game consoles lol

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

Really ?
I don’t think the women’s domestic game gets a huge amount of coverage. This is the World Cup so not sure of the problem.
Increased coverage will only help to raise the profile and then in turn increase the quality.
I made the point about the rise in girls football as it is not just a case of numbers but the quality of football being played by girls at younger youth age groups (i.e under 11).
I am an FA accredited coach - and the technical ability of some of the better girls teams is starting to over take the boys .

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Really ?
I don’t think the women’s domestic game gets a huge amount of coverage. This is the World Cup so not sure of the problem.
Increased coverage will only help to raise the profile and then in turn increase the quality.
I made the point about the rise in girls football as it is not just a case of numbers but the quality of football being played by girls at younger youth age groups (i.e under 11).
I am an FA accredited coach - and the technical ability of some of the better girls teams is starting to over take the boys .

Check out the coverage on the BBC football website. The women's game should have a separate site.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Check out the coverage on the BBC football website. The women's game should have a separate site.

That is different to implying it is on BBC TV all the time?
As the women’s game grows more and more (which it will do ) then I guess there will undoubtedly be a separate page/web site

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Let's just hope the ref in the England/Scotland game isn't on the rag or we could see a few reds.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Good quality match. France look very strong and must be favourites.

I was quite taken by that Korean number eight. She could play with my balls anytime. *sigh* :p

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
wow. This thread really has brought out the backwards 1970's NSC community hasn't it. Not sure if they are all serious tbh, but it's massively out of date at surface level.

I've sat here and watched the opening game with my ten year old daughter. She's a troubled kid, and football is her outlet. She loves it, and is better than me by miles. I've not doubt that she could turn the majority of posters on this thread inside out and leave you on your arses. Seeing the WWC, to her, is hope and opportunity. Vindication that she is not alone in her passion for the game. I repeat, she's 10 years old. Try telling her that it doesn't matter. By casting ill will and negative comments on either the standard of play or the validity of the sport at all, you're basically pissing on her dream. So i say, with no remorse, **** you all.
The game's growing, the standards improving immeasurably by the day, and the balls only just started rolling.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Terry Henry has transitioned well, too.

I did think before kick-off that she might be a relative. :facepalm: I feel bad for being so ignorant. It's like a Walker or Maguire in French language. Very popular name.

Eugenie Le Sommer will be a contender for player of the tournament. And that stunning goal that got disallowed was a shame. The technique is there. I think all 24 teams will be competitive and run themselves into the ground, giving everything.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I agree, women's football news should be separated (unless there's a topless goal celebration)

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
wow. This thread really has brought out the backwards 1970's NSC community hasn't it. Not sure if they are all serious tbh, but it's massively out of date at surface level.

I've sat here and watched the opening game with my ten year old daughter. She's a troubled kid, and football is her outlet. She loves it, and is better than me by miles. I've not doubt that she could turn the majority of posters on this thread inside out and leave you on your arses. Seeing the WWC, to her, is hope and opportunity. Vindication that she is not alone in her passion for the game. I repeat, she's 10 years old. Try telling her that it doesn't matter. By casting ill will and negative comments on either the standard of play or the validity of the sport at all, you're basically pissing on her dream. So i say, with no remorse, **** you all.
The game's growing, the standards improving immeasurably by the day, and the balls only just started rolling.

Totally this .
Really pleased for your daughter that she is enjoying her football - the opportunities in the girls game are definitely improving.
I was helping with a tournament a couple of weeks ago (U12) and it was great to see teams from all over Sussex as well as some teams from Hampshire.

The level of ignorance (based on some misplaced anxiety) by some over this is a shame but maybe one day they might try looking at life from a different perspective.

In the meantime all the best to your daughter in her future football adventures

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

Spot on. And anyone who still thinks that women’s football will inevitably and perpetually be a poor product after watching the French team this evening, are massively deluded. With time, money and, yes, a fair wind from public bodies such as the BBC, it can become a great sport - just as women’s tennis has been for decades. My 8 year old girl took so much from this evening’s game. Such a shame that there are still so many dinosaurs that don’t see the positives from having a strong women’s game.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
If the women's game follows the trajectory of women's cricket it will be fine. In fact - given the wider base of countries that play the game - it should improve even quicker. Ultimately it's about the quality of the product on the pitch - and last night's game provided good signs. The goalkeeping though seems to lag behind?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here