Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] John Cleese criticised.......

D

Deleted member 2719

Khan wants to back off Cleese or he will get a few of these :wanker::tosser:and then one of these punish:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I think he is trying to say that being in London in 2019 when you are 79 years old is a bit different to being in the London he remembers in 1959 when he was 19. I'd hate to be the one who has to explain to him that the rest of the world has changed too in the last 60 years :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think he is trying to say that being in London in 2019 when you are 79 years old is a bit different to being in the London he remembers in 1959 when he was 19. I'd hate to be the one who has to explain to him that the rest of the world has changed too in the last 60 years :shrug:

John Cleese was born in Weston Super Mare. That hasn't changed in centuries.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Well his tax haven of choice, Nevis, certainly isn’t very English.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Exactly.

The usual crowd appear who just love to be offended, and no punishment can be great enough for someone that has "offended" them. The irony is that they are usually calling for tolerance, and damning intolerance, by being completely intolerant of absolutely everything anyone says..

Really???

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
for saying London is 'no longer an English city'

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has criticised John Cleese after the Fawlty Towers legend said the capital was "not really an English city any more".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48451384

Is this really offensive?

As usual, a tired old has been of a celebrity, trying to get noticed.
Why don't they just fade away watching reruns on You Tube with his box of tissues.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
for saying London is 'no longer an English city'

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has criticised John Cleese after the Fawlty Towers legend said the capital was "not really an English city any more".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48451384

Is this really offensive?

Surprise surprise. Mildly racist NSC user, Slymjym starts thread to stir racial shit and will now act outraged that you’re accused of such.
You really are pathetic.

Go on, act like this isn’t what you wanted. Moron.

Foreigner in London. Whatever next!

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Apart from the ones which they built the huge homes on the large squares for. And apart from all the others who then followed. My grandfather moved from London to Brighton after the war with many others also working on the railways for example.

PS I presume you were born in Brighton?

have to agree on that one. Moaning about people from London coming down to Brighton is mental as thats the whole point of the town. Unless you can trace yoour lineage back to a fisherman or south downs shepherd pretty much everyone is in the same boat.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
have to agree on that one. Moaning about people from London coming down to Brighton is mental as thats the whole point of the town. Unless you can trace yoour lineage back to a fisherman or south downs shepherd pretty much everyone is in the same boat.

Lol! Indeed. I have South Downs wood cutter, and Hove domestic servants in my ancestry...but also....London (ahem, Millwall) dockers.

Gercha, m'lady.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Asparagus still upright, and edible? :D

How coincidental. I just mentioned the King of Greens in a reply to your Fridat night drinking post :lolol:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Actually, I can trace my lineage back to South Downs shepherds...... but I’m not moaning about the rest of you Londoners.......and I live in Norfolk.
As you were.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What is people's problem with it? I think perhaps several fold.

There's the fact he linked it to the Brexit vote, implying that proper Englishness involves voting against Europe, ergo anyone who voted to remain, or voted for remain supporting parties in the recent MEP elections aren't proper English people.

I think when it's linked to Brexit it also becomes linked to immigration - one of the major arguments around brexit - and that brings about a degree of hypocrisy from him, as he is now an immigrant, though of course when it's Brits they're not immigrants, immigrants are nasty, filthy, plagues on culture. No we brits become Ex-pats when we go abroad. Completely different.

There's also the inaccuracy of it. The history of England is a history of going overseas, bringing things back and it being embraced. Chocolate, sugar, spices, etc. Modern day travel and technology has helped this along, but it's been true for centuries. The idea of Britain, England or London as some pure white haven of Gentlemen and Lords, with the poor ignorant working class beneath them.

The world is becoming homogenised a bit. People travelling to and settling in other countries, divisions being closed and the world coming together. A world wide web exposing countries to each others mainstream cultures and franchise. But much like England is not one area, with different accents and dialects, different takes on various cuisines, different traditions, London is not one area. Of course if you go to the city centre areas you're going to see the same franchises dotted around, and maybe it doesn't immediately jump out as unique. There will also be areas of local identity, local culture etc. Parts of London that are quintessentially/stereotypically/classically English.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here