Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fallout from Hughton sacking: notice we've suddenly become hated and ridiculed by neutrals

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
And Mike Ashley said it was a mistake sacking him (or words to that effect) at Newcastle.

Yes, I read that.
Tough business football management, but the compo from three sackings must ease the pain a bit!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think much of the "anti Brighton" fall out is simply due to the timing of the sacking. Had we been on a run of just 3 wins in 23 matches mid-season and he was sacked, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I couldn't care less what "other people" think of us, I lost faith in Hughton when he set up defensively against Southampton... and we still lost. That doesn't in any way take away from what he achieved in the four and half years he was with the club - staying with a club that long is in itself something of an achievement for a manager these days - but ultimately I want to see Brighton trying to win games (or even have some shots on target).
I said this in a conversation the other day Hughton’s defensive play didn’t work anyway. The one game we played and had a go away was Arsenal and guess what we earned a point.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yes, I read that.
Tough business football management, but the compo from three sackings must ease the pain a bit!

Compensation is paid to Football Managers because they are breaching ''Employment Legislation'' when they sack managers - It is paid to stop them being dragged through the ''Court Systems''

Clubs sack managers frequently. If they were to be hauled through the Courts continually for the ''exact same breaches of the legislation'' there would be Government Intervention every time it happened. They pay compensation to stop this happening because the fines would get higher every time that they did it and eventually the fines would get so high some Clubs might not be able to afford it and potentially go out of business.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
I listened to the Sunday Supplement podcast (that show is so outdated). And it's scary just how much of an agenda they were pushing regarding Hughton's sacking. Yet they didn't once offer an alternate view as to why it was the right thing to do. It's incredible that people can be on TV to push such a one sided agenda without being held accountable.
It was amazing wasn't it? No one had the courage to challenge Darren Lewis and his ill informed and bizzare conclusions, he even condemned kick it out for defending the club against Troy Townsends inferences.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It was amazing wasn't it? No one had the courage to challenge Darren Lewis and his ill informed and bizzare conclusions, he even condemned kick it out for defending the club against Troy Townsends inferences.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It was surreal. I appreciate that we need more representation (albeit there's been a similar % of black managers in the English leagues relative to the amount of black ethnicities in the UK population this season) but his argument was so focused on black managers and how hard done by they were that he seemed to totally overlook just how poor we've been the last 5 months and just how poor the football has been for a good while now, as well as the fact we have a black female manager and the fact we employed a black manager in the first place. He also failed to mention the under representation of other races within management which would've actually added more credence to his argument. It all seemed incredibly one note and I was so disappointed to see seasoned journalists not pull him up on some of his ignorant viewpoints.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Well all the critics have suddenly gone quiet haven’t they!

Pundits? Experts? Journalists? Bloggers?

You were slating us left right and centre not very long ago. “Unrealistic fans”, “deluded board”.

Doesn’t this just prove how reactionary, ignorant and un-knowledgable most pundits really are?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

You were slating us left right and centre not very long ago. “Unrealistic fans”, “deluded board”.

Doesn’t this just prove how reactionary, ignorant and un-knowledgable most pundits really are?

Feck me :ohmy:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Wave

el punal

When it suits - springs to mind. Lazy and ignorant as well.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Compensation is paid to Football Managers because they are breaching ''Employment Legislation'' when they sack managers - It is paid to stop them being dragged through the ''Court Systems''

Clubs sack managers frequently. If they were to be hauled through the Courts continually for the ''exact same breaches of the legislation'' there would be Government Intervention every time it happened. They pay compensation to stop this happening because the fines would get higher every time that they did it and eventually the fines would get so high some Clubs might not be able to afford it and potentially go out of business.

The govt dont intervrne in employment case each party would make its case to an employment tribunal or high court if potential claim is to high for an IT. It is a civil claim so no "fine" involved just compensation. It is true that clubs pay compensation either contractual or ex gratia to avoid the hassle of court action.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Here's further evidence, as if it were needed: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...cbk7QC7ANdmDvgw4uPwNaNs0mg6DfKIi9ZE_DQuaOUgIU

Some Danny Mills' gems: Sheffield United "will be similar (in style) to Cardiff", Phil Foden is “one of the best players on the planet”, Trippier is "slipping off the radar" by joining A. Madrid.

Fantastic article. This is exactly it in a nutshell!

Pundits are paid a LOT of money, we don’t ask for much. The least they could do is bother to do is get their facts right. Lazy, uninformed opinions seem to be the norm.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Haven't heard many sour-faced warnings to 'be careful what we wish for' recently either.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The issue is that they all jump on the bandwagon because it is easy and populist. It is the way of things in the current world. It has been a bit similar at Man U with OGS. Most said he was a hasty and poor appointment but what happens, he wins the first game of the season 4 0 and things go quiet. Questions are now raised about FL after ONE game.

It is a great feeling to achieve a win in the first game but the season is over 38 games and there is plenty of time for doubters to want to sound clever.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here