Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Alabama - Women's rights

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Alabama's state congress has voted to ban abortion.
The decision will go to the Supreme Court which is likely to throw it out, but not as likely as before Trump.

The Republican Party stalled and refused all of Obama's attempted appointments but was able to get 2 Trumpian nominees through, so now the Supreme Court is rather right leaning.

Here's a picture of the 22 Alabama senators who voted against including an exception for rape or incest in the abortion law.

Can you see the connection:-

D6kylZDXsAA36nq.jpg

Stat world in the UK is pretty good, I can see why others might think the UK is going to the dogs.
But blimey we must seem like the most enlighten progressive forward thinking nirvana on earth when compared to this shit show,

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The elite rule all

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am not going to enter an argument regarding the pros and cons of abortion, but can you tell me why a person's race has anything to do with the outcome of a vote in this instance?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This was what prompted me to start a particular thread yesterday, although I took a different angle (that it is much better on NSC now we don't get four new threads a day started on the world's latest outrage, normally, in the case of the past most prolific poster, involving black people in the US, muslims and lefties). That said, this one is a masterpioece of mindboggling proportions. I heard a woman from the US yesterday explaining on the radio how the difficulties (already there before the new ramp-up of the law) in getting an abortion meant she was forced to carry her rape-incest baby to term, only to see it slowly suffer and die over its first year due to the birth defects associated with the 'inbreeding'.

Once again, this is an attack on the poor because the rich can always take a weekend trip to the next state to do the deed. And all in the name of god. What an evil bunch of self-serving scum.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Nothing to do with race - 27 men decided on behalf of women, to ban women from having a choice.

Or, in THEIR eyes, 27 men decided on behalf of their State to ban women and Doctors from murdering unborn babies.

The issue of abortion is a proxy for the issues of South v North (read Confederate v Union, and poor v rich, and uneducated v educated) in the US. Both sides of the debate, particularly at the extremes, believe passionately in their arguments.

For me, it’s clear, the balance should be “Start with choice. Now, are there any circumstances where choice is trumped by the unborn child’s rights?”. And the answer is, of course, yes - for example putting a time limit on the latest acceptable date for an abortion. The moment you say “yes, there are exceptions to a woman’s right to choose”, you open yourself up to perfectly philosophically legitimate arguments that run “Ok, if you’re prepared to draw a line - where should that line be drawn? Surely the only logical place to draw a line is conception? Anything else is just open to differing opinions - conception is fact.”

It’s very hard to argue against the abolitionists position (if they’re smart enough to express it that way - which many aren’t). I just “know” they’re wrong. Hmm - not awfully convincing, is it?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Or, in THEIR eyes, 27 men decided on behalf of their State to ban women and Doctors from murdering unborn babies.

The issue of abortion is a proxy for the issues of South v North (read Confederate v Union, and poor v rich, and uneducated v educated) in the US. Both sides of the debate, particularly at the extremes, believe passionately in their arguments.

For me, it’s clear, the balance should be “Start with choice. Now, are there any circumstances where choice is trumped by the unborn child’s rights?”. And the answer is, of course, yes - for example putting a time limit on the latest acceptable date for an abortion. The moment you say “yes, there are exceptions to a woman’s right to choose”, you open yourself up to perfectly philosophically legitimate arguments that run “Ok, if you’re prepared to draw a line - where should that line be drawn? Surely the only logical place to draw a line is conception? Anything else is just open to differing opinions - conception is fact.”

It’s very hard to argue against the abolitionists position (if they’re smart enough to express it that way - which many aren’t). I just “know” they’re wrong. Hmm - not awfully convincing, is it?

Agreed, and it just goes to show that the expectation of neutrality on core moral or political issues is a pipedream. Previously dominant and stubbornly persistent pipedream, but a pipedream nevertheless.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Alabama's state congress has voted to ban abortion.
The decision will go to the Supreme Court which is likely to throw it out, but not as likely as before Trump.

The Republican Party stalled and refused all of Obama's attempted appointments but was able to get 2 Trumpian nominees through, so now the Supreme Court is rather right leaning.

Here's a picture of the 22 Alabama senators who voted against including an exception for rape or incest in the abortion law.

Can you see the connection:-

View attachment 109679

Stat world in the UK is pretty good, I can see why others might think the UK is going to the dogs.
But blimey we must seem like the most enlighten progressive forward thinking nirvana on earth when compared to this shit show,

I never knew NSC wore suits and ties. Are you bottom row, third from the left? If so, lovely smile.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I never knew NSC wore suits and ties. Are you bottom row, third from the left? If so, lovely smile.

I havent smiled like that for 48 years.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd take talk of "the sanctity of life" a bit more seriously if states that introduced these anti-abortion laws then abolished the death penalty. I find it hard to reconcile a belief that all human life is sacred with a belief in killing people.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'd take talk of "the sanctity of life" a bit more seriously if states that introduced these anti-abortion laws then abolished the death penalty. I find it hard to reconcile a belief that all human life is sacred with a belief in killing people.

And add to that gun laws which means any loony can just pop into the local shop and buy a bang-bang and off to the local school to slaughter innocent kids.

So much for the sanctity of life eh?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'll never get my head around how we've managed to get to the point where if you oppose the taking of human life you are considered to be an evil person and your position is considered utter madness and impossible to justify.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

There is that.

I deliberately avoided mention of religion in my earlier post posing a rational defence for the decision taken by these guys. However, it's very hard to exclude it when combining their stance on abortion with their stance on the death penalty - now we're just into the realms of "That's what the Good Book says". Well, aside from the fact that you have to selectively read it to conclude what they do (but it is possible), philosophically, I think you need more than "This is what a book says"...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I am not going to enter an argument regarding the pros and cons of abortion, but can you tell me why a person's race has anything to do with the outcome of a vote in this instance?
He didn't mention race. Obsessed much? Looking to be outraged perhaps? His point was they are all men. Calm yourself.
But as it goes, stupid white people have historically voted down women's rights.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here