Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40 years ago today: Albion travel north to see Newcastle v. Bristol Rovs (att. 9625)

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
I was there and I vividly remember fans with a North East accent in the queue to get in. We assumed they were Sunderland. It was POTG.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
There was a punch up at the back of the away end, never sure if it was Newcastle or Sunderland.

I can confirm this. I was right behind the goal and needed a Jimmy. Went in search of a khazi and there was a big kick off going on. It looked bad so I just turned and went back.

What a great day that was though.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
The fact is, we will never know for sure. In "Statto's Column" in the Spring 2004 Brighton and Hove Albion Collectors' and Historians' Society newsletter (no. 18), they split the difference at 7,500:-

View attachment 108730

Proud to have been at every one of those bar 1930

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
So we beat the Toon the same day Thatcher got into power ?

can we beat Man City on the last day as May and Trump get assassinated in London outside Buck Palarse . . . create a bit more history.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Proud to have been at every one of those bar 1930
It is a great list. Can you or someone else update it...?

Keeping the bar at 4.5K+ there must be quite a few (including a new No.1) since 2004... have you been to all of those as well?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
So we beat the Toon the same day Thatcher got into power ?

can we beat Man City on the last day as May and Trump get assassinated in London outside Buck Palarse . . . create a bit more history.

Day after. General Election on the Thursday. PM on Friday. Albion promoted Saturday.

Strangely enough there was a change of Prime Minister the weekend of Hereford (I think).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We took far more to a Palace away game than the Newcastle game. Between 8k and 10k I would have thought. Seems not to be on the list of away followings?
Yep, we lost 3-1 there in 1977 and then by the same score in 1978. The gates were 28,000 and 34,000 and the second one in particular had a huge Albion following of over 6,000.

The nightmare of 2002 looks suspiciously low at 4,866. We were given the whole Arthur Waite which holds 7,000 - there's no way there were over 2,000 spare seats in there on that day.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We took far more to a Palace away game than the Newcastle game. Between 8k and 10k I would have thought. Seems not to be on the list of away followings?
The old Whitehorse end held 10k... we filled it completely for the April 1980 draw.... 1-1 if I remember rightly.... over 30k in attendance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Strangely enough there was a change of Prime Minister the weekend of Hereford (I think).

Yep Blair won in the general election on thursday night/Friday morning before the mach on the Saturday. The UK also won Eurovision (for the last time) that saturday night as well!

There was a punch up at the back of the away end, never sure if it was Newcastle or Sunderland.
Do you mean the one at half time? I just happened to be in the vicinity when a mob of about 50 of them tried to get past some railings. I felt I had to help repel them which we did easily, due to the vastly superior numbers. This was the only time I was ever involved in a 'surge' towards opposing fans, as I always tried to avoid trouble. Was involved in quite a few surges away from them, though :)

Do you mean the one at half time? I just happened to be in the vicinity when a mob of about 50 of them tried to get past some railings. I felt I had to help repel them which we did easily, due to the vastly superior numbers. This was the only time I was ever involved in a 'surge' towards opposing fans, as I always tried to avoid trouble. Was involved in quite a few surges away from them, though :)

That's the one, one of our lot went squirt crazy with ketchup and years later I worked with someone who was moaning his jacket got ruined by someone firing out the red stuff , made me chuckle.

That's the one, one of our lot went squirt crazy with ketchup and years later I worked with someone who was moaning his jacket got ruined by someone firing out the red stuff , made me chuckle.
I didn't see that, I think it's because I was so eager to disappear back into the crowd after 'doing my bit' :)
I was terrified of getting nicked, not least because my day return ticket had cost me almost a week's take-home pay!

Newcastle’s crowds in the games before and after our game were at least 19,000 lower. Who were the extra 19,000? Brighton fans, Newcastle fans or Sunderland fans?
Thanks for taking the trouble to do that but it really wasn't necessary.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here