Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cardiff City (h) game re-arranged to Tue. 16th April @ 7::45pm

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Now with 3 league games to rearrange (Chelsea, Cardiff & Spurs), surely the club should advise, what's going on soon? I thought the rules were that you must arrange games as soon as possible, if so I can't understand the delay in reaaranging the Cardiff game as neither are affected by European games?

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Now with 3 league games to rearrange (Chelsea, Cardiff & Spurs), surely the club should advise, what's going on soon? I thought the rules were that you must arrange games as soon as possible, if so I can't understand the delay in reaaranging the Cardiff game as neither are affected by European games?

We already know two of them.

Chelsea will be midweek April 2nd/3rd (almost certainly 3rd as Chelsea play on Sunday .

Spurs will be 23rd/24th April so it’s just Cardiff to sort out.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
We already know two of them.

Chelsea will be midweek April 2nd/3rd (almost certainly 3rd as Chelsea play on Sunday .

Spurs will be 23rd/24th April so it’s just Cardiff to sort out.

That's good - so what's your best guess for the date of the Cardiff game, Richy?

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
That's good - so what's your best guess for the date of the Cardiff game, Richy?

Has to be a champions league week so really down to both clubs agreeing. Possibly before the Bournemouth home game? But that is pure guess work. I imagine the club will want it sooner rather than later though.

Spurs won't be on the 23rd as its the players awards evening

Not sure that will take priority over much tbh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
If Cardiff can't be on a Champions League night (which someone has said) then Wed 1st May looks like the first possible day for Cardiff - bloody ages away!

Is that right? Couldn't find a post saying this. Can't see any reason why not, no conflicts apart from if it's to be on TV.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If Cardiff can't be on a Champions League night (which someone has said) then Wed 1st May looks like the first possible day for Cardiff - bloody ages away!

Is that right? Couldn't find a post saying this. Can't see any reason why not, no conflicts apart from if it's to be on TV.

1st May is a Champions League SF night. Not sure on the exact rules but UEFA don't like TV games to clash with European nights. I think it's allowed in exceptional circumstances though. That said, it probably won't be on TV anyway so wouldn't matter.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
..... Not sure on the exact rules but UEFA don't like TV games to clash with European nights. I think it's allowed in exceptional circumstances though. That said, it probably won't be on TV anyway so wouldn't matter.

So, in that case the Cardiff game could be any midweek (apart from this and next) up until the end of the Season?

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Has anyone who can't go and bought tickets had a refund yet?

I spoke to them a couple ofw eeks ago and they said you had to wait for refunds until the new fixture was arranged.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
So, in that case the Cardiff game could be any midweek (apart from this and next) up until the end of the Season?

I forgot when posting earlier that if the game were televised abroad it would also break the agreement with UEFA. I'm not sure on what the deal is with that, in terms of what rights broadcasters have and whether or not the Prem can just deny foreign broadcasters the right to show it.

Monday 15th or Monday 29th April could avoid those issues, although means 2 games in 3 days. I think to play them on a Tues/Wed would require reaching an agreement with UEFA. They were probably waiting to see if we lost to Millwall and could play them Tues/Wed 23/24. Not sure how quick it would be to get an agreement to clash with Champs league/Europa league but it does happen, wouldn't be the first time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Monday 15th or Monday 29th April could avoid those issues, although means 2 games in 3 days.

I'd be very surprised if Cardiff agreed to that. I think they'd see that as giving us a distinct advantage, because:

A. Their squad is smaller / weaker than ours
B. They are away on both those weekends, and we are at home on both. To ask them to travel from Cardiff to Burnley, then back, and then to Brighton 36 hours later, is a non-starter, IMO.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd be very surprised if Cardiff agreed to that. I think they'd see that as giving us a distinct advantage, because:

B. They are away on both those weekends, and we are at home on both. To ask them to travel from Cardiff to Burnley, then back, and then to Brighton 36 hours later, is a non-starter, IMO.

It wouldn't be the worst travelling decision Cardiff have made this season.

Ultimately, the game has to be played at some point. Cardiff don't necessarily have to agree with the FA scheduling, either. Yes, they've got a long way to travel and it's a natural and obvious point of contention for Colin to moan about having lost both games, but they've got to fulfil the fixtures at some point. Or, they could throw in the game at the Amex at the cost of 3-0 defeat. Saves having to watch Cardiff!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Agreed, I guess with the 29th and them being at Fulham on the 27th they could turn it into a mini-break. I suspect the situation now is just waiting to get sign off from UEFA to play on the same night as one of their competitions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here