Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bum bandits

A1X

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Barmy Army did that in the last test match when Gabriel came out to bat after Root had called him out for a supposedly homophobic comment. Brilliant idea [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Oh yes, I absolutely 100% nicked the idea from them, but it'd be a tremendous way to own it. Plus let's be honest, everyone knows the words and actions.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Do gay people support Millwall... Imagine the soul searching that person had to do, before finally coming out to their parents "Mum, Dad I hope you won't be disappointed in me, and I can't find an easy way to say this, but.... I'm a Millwall fan". Oh the humiliation for the family, the knowing looks in the street, whispers as they walk by!!!

Scarily one of my best friends is a Millwall fan. But he came out to his dad who's also a Millwall fan so I figure it was okay.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yes must be so upsetting hearing 'we can see you holding hands' poor little lambs. If I was gay it wouldn't bother me one bit to hear such chants at football. Football should be played in a tribal and edgy atmosphere and if it offends you go and find another sport to watch.

But you're not gay, so you can't judge can you. Your opinion in the matter is literally irrelevant, but you just look really ignorant to other peoples' feelings. That's not a good look.

As for your final (awful) point, why does an "edgy atmosphere" have to mean insulting vulnerable groups? And why do such atmospheres have to be inclusive to football of all sports? Obviously you're talking for yourself here, but I can create a perfectly good atmosphere without bullying vulnerable groups. If you can't, that says more about you than me.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Is being gay so bad that being reminded of it is truly painful? ???

I've got a little belly, grey hair, a fairly big nose, a face which is becoming increasingly wrinkled, and I'm Northern - and fairly ugly... all of which (apart from Northern, which I don't really mind) I am not best pleased about. If 1,000's of people chanted ALL of this at me, I'd be inclined to agree (as it's true) - and I'd then give as much back as I got.

Being gay is about 'out and proud' and being strong about it, isn't it? Standing up for yourself, who you are, your rights, and not being ashamed of it. So, why not take the chance to face the chants head on and give some verbals back instead of being upset? If they want to sing songs about being gay, so what... You're above that. If you're not, don't go to Millwall away for the next 20-30 years until the old homophobes are dead and buried.

If they physically assault you for being gay, different story altogether - but these are words, meant to offend. I doubt 99.99% of them would ever say that to you in the street anyway - but add beer, possibly coke and the bravado of having all their mates around them they get all trappy.

You've undermined your whole argument with your final point. Why, if you wouldn't insult vulnerable groups in the street, is it acceptable to attack such groups at a football match? Is it just that your banter is so awful that the only way you can get a rise out of anyone is by insulting something they're likely to be sensitive about?

As to your initial point, you've missed the issue. The issue is that everyone (practically) goes grey, a large portion have bellies etc. These are normalised things. They are also all things you can do something about as well. Being gay isn't something these people can do anything about and it's something that is still demonised within our sport; have you not wondered why there are no out and proud football players active at the moment? No role models out there for young gay people to look up to? It's because of this awful attitude by insensitive idiots who think football is a vehicle for their hate and bullshit. It isn't big and it isn't clever.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not all members of the LGBT community are shrinking violets. From my perspective, I can dish it as good as I can take it (no pun intended). Other LGBT individuals may well agree with what you've said, but I seriously would question their passion for the game if such so-called "homophobic" chants have a lasting impact on them. Many gay people (especially football fans) that I know - including myself - are actually very self-deprecating and would laugh along with the sneering and the mocking. Knowing that in truth, it illustrates the insecurities of a subset of supporters, who adopt the herd mentality that makes people do and say crazy-ass things.

For what it's worth, I fully agree with your last point though. But some things will never change, and clubs will look for stereotypes to take the piss out of the opposition. You have to just rise above it... or throw a bit of stick back in their direction. I'm not saying this is right; I'm saying this is just football.

The issue of race that you bring up in your later post is a classic case of whataboutery. I couldn't comment on that myself.

I would also like to quickly point out the hypocrisy of Millwall on two fronts:

1) They are based in the centre of a city that has even more LGBT people per capita than Brighton. Their stadium is barely 5 miles as the crow flies from Soho FFS;
2) They really do have an irony deficiency. After the 7/7 atrocities, I believe they played Luton Town, the latter making fun of the casualities from those attacks (IMO far more tasteless and perverse than some mild anti-gay chants). Suffice to say, the 'Wall were none too pleased.

When non-football-loving people ask me why I enjoy the sport, I point out that the electric atmosphere created at times can unite groups of strangers. It is a tribal thing that's hard to explain. This electric atmosphere can be even more intense when there is a level of antagonism from both sets of fans. The non-football-supporting people don't understand, and that's why they will never have an affinity for the game like I do, and you do. Do not for one second think I'm condoning cut-throat gestures, death threats, comments about AIDS and physical abuse. Quite the opposite: I am saying that crying foul on cliched terrace chants actually distracts from the more serious cases of genuine homophobia that do have an impact on LGBT people (and those from other minorities)

Thanks for your post. The reason I'm quite passionate about it is because I've got quite a few gay friends, many of whom like football and many of whom have had differing reactions to such chants. Some struggled with them a lot in their younger years and just accept them now whereas some are made of much harder stuff. But I'm still very much of the opinion that we, as a football going community, really do suck a bit if we feel the need to pick on people or groups due to such things as their sexuality or race. To me, it's just an issue of common decency.

In this regard, I guess I just think that there's absolutely no need for it. Plus, wouldn't you as a gay person feel more comfortable if there were "out" gay footballers who other young gay people/footballers could use as role models? And don't you question why no such footballers are out? Because surely, whilst you and many others are probably hardened to it, many young footballers and young gay football fans won't be and then that line that you allude to in your final paragraph becomes a very murky place; it also suggests that we as a society just aren't making any progress in regards to acceptance. Furthermore, why is this type of attitude acceptable in football but no other place within society?

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughtful post.

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Barmy Army did that in the last test match when Gabriel came out to bat after Root had called him out for a supposedly homophobic comment. Brilliant idea [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Knocky, there's no need to feel down
I said, Dunky, pick yourself off the ground
I said, Bissouma, cause you're in a new town
There's no need to be unhappy

It's fun to play at the BAHA
It's fun to stay at the BAHA

I'll get my coat.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not all members of the LGBT community are shrinking violets. From my perspective, I can dish it as good as I can take it (no pun intended). Other LGBT individuals may well agree with what you've said, but I seriously would question their passion for the game if such so-called "homophobic" chants have a lasting impact on them. Many gay people (especially football fans) that I know - including myself - are actually very self-deprecating and would laugh along with the sneering and the mocking. Knowing that in truth, it illustrates the insecurities of a subset of supporters, who adopt the herd mentality that makes people do and say crazy-ass things.

For what it's worth, I fully agree with your last point though. But some things will never change, and clubs will look for stereotypes to take the piss out of the opposition. You have to just rise above it... or throw a bit of stick back in their direction. I'm not saying this is right; I'm saying this is just football.

The issue of race that you bring up in your later post is a classic case of whataboutery. I couldn't comment on that myself.

I would also like to quickly point out the hypocrisy of Millwall on two fronts:

1) They are based in the centre of a city that has even more LGBT people per capita than Brighton. Their stadium is barely 5 miles as the crow flies from Soho FFS;
2) They really do have an irony deficiency. After the 7/7 atrocities, I believe they played Luton Town, the latter making fun of the casualities from those attacks (IMO far more tasteless and perverse than some mild anti-gay chants). Suffice to say, the 'Wall were none too pleased.

When non-football-loving people ask me why I enjoy the sport, I point out that the electric atmosphere created at times can unite groups of strangers. It is a tribal thing that's hard to explain. This electric atmosphere can be even more intense when there is a level of antagonism from both sets of fans. The non-football-supporting people don't understand, and that's why they will never have an affinity for the game like I do, and you do. Do not for one second think I'm condoning cut-throat gestures, death threats, comments about AIDS and physical abuse. Quite the opposite: I am saying that crying foul on cliched terrace chants actually distracts from the more serious cases of genuine homophobia that do have an impact on LGBT people (and those from other minorities)

:clap:

Exactly! Brilliant summary; agree 100% with every word.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The best way to deal with it would be to take a few rainbow banners with the TV and media picking up on it, then when there is some homophobic abuse, the media go mad and slam Millwall for what they really are.

Neanderthals that need to be eradicated from football. All eyes will be on them with it being an FA Cup quarter final.

didn't stop their top boys racking up on their programmes a couple of years ago at cardiff for the play offs....:lolol:

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Not bad......

:thumbsup: Didn't just pick the players at random and did put some thought in to it, but possibly needs a tweak.

Would be good to have unique chant for us and something catchy too. Plus being a bit of a gay anthem plays homage to our multicultural city, which I'm proud to be a part of.

I've not heard the Bissouma/Tequila one elsewhere (?) and that's a good one to get everyone going and we need more like this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here