Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It would mean that all future referendums could be considered impermanent or ineffective, or pointless. This could extend to general elections. It was made perfectly clear to the electorate that the results of the Brexit referendum were final and to be implemented. Going back on that democratic promise would undermine democracy.

Besides, people are not fully informed what Brexit means, even now. In fact we know little more than we did in 2016. We do know that this government has made a disastrous effort in carrying out the Brexit negotiations, but nobody knows what Brexit is going to look like, or what kind of deal we will we get, if any.

If there is ever a referendum in the future, it won't be worded in a binary fashion with such open ended possibilities. It doesn't make any difference what was said or put on leaflets, the actual act of Parliament said it was advisory only.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
It would mean that all future referendums could be considered impermanent or ineffective, or pointless. This could extend to general elections. It was made perfectly clear to the electorate that the results of the Brexit referendum were final and to be implemented. Going back on that democratic promise would undermine democracy.

Besides, people are not fully informed what Brexit means, even now. In fact we know little more than we did in 2016. We do know that this government has made a disastrous effort in carrying out the Brexit negotiations, but nobody knows what Brexit is going to look like, or what kind of deal we will we get, if any.

What you say is all true and I was against a second vote. But, as parliament appear incapable of delivering brexit it seems to me that the only way of getting a breakthrough is to ask the people.
Personally I don’t think there will be a change in the vote which I regret as a remainer.
I can’t see a way out and fear stumbling out with a no deal.
It is as if the stars are aligning or something with 2 poor leaders who can’t command a majority in Parliament. Let’s face it fear of JC is the only thing keeping TM in power. I use the term in power loosely.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pro Leave march:
D2WQIsOXQAIxrSO.jpg

Pro Remain march:
D2WQJWWX4AE6fK3.jpg

"Will of the people"

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
If there is ever a referendum in the future, it won't be worded in a binary fashion with such open ended possibilities. It doesn't make any difference what was said or put on leaflets, the actual act of Parliament said it was advisory only.

Seems a bit weird having an advisory referendum then ignoring it as what would be the point

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Meanwhile, as the Revoke Article 50 petition passes 4.5 million signatories, the 77 year old woman who set it up is receiving death threats. These Brexiters do love a death threat against the people who disagree with them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47678275

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Seems a bit weird having an advisory referendum then ignoring it as what would be the point

The Tories got the answer they wanted, so are ploughing ahead with it regardless of any illegalities, democracy or 'will of the people'. The EU law about tax havens and tax avoidance, has a lot to do with it, as is betting against the pound, as shown by Nigel Farage on 23rd June 2016.
They couldn't believe their luck. May was so confident that she called a General Election but lost her majority, so had to bribe the DUP into backing her.
That's gone badly wrong so we now have an impasse.

Dorset Seagull

What you say is all true and I was against a second vote. But, as parliament appear incapable of delivering brexit it seems to me that the only way of getting a breakthrough is to ask the people.
Personally I don’t think there will be a change in the vote which I regret as a remainer.
I can’t see a way out and fear stumbling out with a no deal.
It is as if the stars are aligning or something with 2 poor leaders who can’t command a majority in Parliament. Let’s face it fear of JC is the only thing keeping TM in power. I use the term in power loosely.

I really don’t understand the thought that a 2nd ref is the only way to have a breakthrough. If leave win then we are back in the same place so effectively the only breakthrough comes if remain win. In which case don’t bother having it and just cancel article 50

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe put a simple yes/no vote to Parliament: Do you intend to carry out the wishes of your constituency? Need to put each one of these f*ckers individually on the spot else it'll just come down to who shouts loudest.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I really don’t understand the thought that a 2nd ref is the only way to have a breakthrough. If leave win then we are back in the same place so effectively the only breakthrough comes if remain win. In which case don’t bother having it and just cancel article 50

The vote would probably include leave no deal or leave with Mays deal (or remain). Winner takes all.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
'Hi - am the person responsible for the Revoke Art 50 petition. Just needed to tell you that 1. am currently visiting Cyprus. and 2. last night I had three telepohoned death threats. (!) Who wants Brexit so much that they are prepared to kill for it?'

I thought about that. What would make someone be prepared to murder an old lady for starting a petition? My answer to that is that hatred is born of fear, - fear of strangers, fear of difference, fear of change, and fear of losing what you think you once had.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Maybe put a simple yes/no vote to Parliament: Do you intend to carry out the wishes of your constituency?
Because they can't decide was YES means.

There is also a huge international legal problem with the border in Northern Ireland.

The only solution appears to be staying in the customs union.

Add to that the Government propped by a minority party NI who want to stay part of the UK more than they want to leave the EU.

Where have you been ?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Maybe put a simple yes/no vote to Parliament: Do you intend to carry out the wishes of your constituency? Need to put each one of these f*ckers individually on the spot else it'll just come down to who shouts loudest.

Does that help much, are MP's expected to do polling to see what their constituency's want and then what type of deal they want. Its a very divided nation and that is why it has lead to impasse, however talking and canvasing people, something this government hasn't done, could be a good thing.

Attachments

• Leave v Remain 19.jpg
    Leave v Remain 19.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 119

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Because they can't decide was YES means.

There is also a huge international legal problem with the border in Northern Ireland.

The only solution appears to be staying in the customs union.

Add to that the Government propped by a minority party NI who want to stay part of the UK more than they want to leave the EU.

Where have you been ?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Not forgetting Gibraltar and Spain. Gibraltar vote for an MEP in the European Parliament too, as part of Britain. They come under the SW & Gibraltar.
All these patriots that want to throw NI & Gibraltar under a bus!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Parliament can’t agree except to rule out no deal. So maybe a referendum on No deal or cancel Article 50?
This was intended as an answer to DorsetSeagull.

Dorset Seagull

Parliament can’t agree except to rule out no deal. So maybe a referendum on No deal or cancel Article 50?
This was intended as an answer to DorsetSeagull.
Parliament can’t agree on most things at the moment so whatever the outcome of that they still wouldn’t be able to agree or follow it through

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
Please, could someone please give just one rational and reasonable advantage of Brexit for the 99% of the population who don't have large offshore investments?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'Hi - am the person responsible for the Revoke Art 50 petition. Just needed to tell you that 1. am currently visiting Cyprus. and 2. last night I had three telepohoned death threats. (!) Who wants Brexit so much that they are prepared to kill for it?'

I thought about that. What would make someone be prepared to murder an old lady for starting a petition? My answer to that is that hatred is born of fear, - fear of strangers, fear of difference, fear of change, and fear of losing what you think you once had.

Or, simply, being a gold-plated thunderandlighteningcunt

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Please, could someone please give just one rational and reasonable advantage of Brexit for the 99% of the population who don't have large offshore investments?

Fewer Romanians shopping in Faversham Tesco. Oh, hang on, even the late PPF said we can have them here, as long as we send them home after they have picked all the fruit. Every October.

We can control our borders, so that no more Isis muslims can get here from Iraq. Oh, hang on, we can already do that.

We won't be forced to adopt the Euro. Oh, hang on.

We will have an extra £350 million quid a week to spend on the NHS. Oh, hang on, that was a genuine mistake, and Boris didn't really mean it.

We can stop the French forcing us to buy their straight bananas.

:tumble:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here