Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Ex Brighton Pats , why are you living abroad ? What is your story?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was finding the UK increasingly frustrating to live in so I moved to somewhere I liked. It’s this simple. There’s lots about the UK I love, but day to day stuff is overly complicated in my opinion.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Yes, it's fortunate that Billy has Lazarus style powers as somehow he's still BANGING the goals in for United.

It's been a grind for me supporting Brighton and living up here. For years and years it was "what division are they in?" "But they're shit aren't they" "oh you play at that athletics stadium" etc.

When Virgo scored v Swindon me and my Darlo supporting mate were the only people in a packed pub watching the game, on a small TV. We went ****ing mental as everyone else wondered what the **** was going on.

Or, walking to the pub one Saturday past a load of builders on a scaffold "WEDNESDAY ARE SHITE!" Me - "It's not a Wednesday shirt, I'm Brighton". Builder - "OH, SORRY MATE!".

But oh, how the tables have turned. He who laughs last.....

The nipper has only known the good times but he understands the past. I love the fact that he can lord it over all his United and Wednesday mates because he supports the Albion. It's like karma.

Totally understand as will any Sussex born who moved away. Dad got a job in Bedfordshire when I was 10. Just before the 71/72 promotion season.

I was already hooked big time.

Moved up here and kids said “who do you support?”

Brighton and Hove Albion

WHO? They were all Chelsea or Liverpool or Man Utd “ supporters” who had never been to a game.

It made my support so strong and I missed Sussex and the Albion very much but as soon as I was old enough I made my own way to home and away games and have been doing that ever since. Have been a STH since 2012 and am loving it as much as ever.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
After dropping out of teachers training college came back to Brighton where I was born and raised, worked on the Dodgems & Ghost train on the Palace Pier during summer of 1971 fell in love with a Danish girl who was over studying English then I moved to Copenhagen later that year. Lived there for 20+ years then my job took me to Mexico City where I have been ever since and shortly will be retiring there.....

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Got sick of customer service/ hospitality management work due to shit pay and hours, spent a grand and a month taking a CELTA (Cambridge teaching English to adults) course. Looked for the best paying destination to teach ESL outside of The Middle East - happened to be Korea at the time (2006). Been here ever since with a couple of years off travelling in India.
Went back to our favourite beach in India in 2008 to see our friend Ganapati - When we first met him in 2001 he had 3 small huts to rent for 40p each - no beds, toilets or running water - had to shit in the woods behind. This time he had a nice place with about 8 huts and a communal toilet/shower set up with some good Nepali cooks turning out decent food. Invested about £15,000 to help him consolidate some land disputes and create very a successful guest house and restaurant. He gave us our own little house (like a large 3 room potting shed but all you need there) just behind his guest house where we can stay any time for free. We've already had our £15,000s worth many times over and will be moving there permanently (10 months of the year) in 3 years time to coincide with my 50th and us achieving our savings/retirement target - thanks largely to the saving potential in Korea and some frugal living.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I met Mrs Van Winkle 10 years in Camden Town after an away game against Orient. She was a friend of [MENTION=4048]jonny.rainbow[/MENTION] ex missus at the time. I saw her sitting with Jonny Rainbow’s ex whilst I was waiting at the bar in a very over priced shit cocktail bar. She was blonde, very cute and I thought ‘I’ll guess I’ll be trying to pull her for the rest of night’. :thumbsup: We got talking and I found out she was American (from San Francisco), has a daughter, was in England studying for her doctorate and was a top lady with a great sarcastic personality. We talked for the rest of the night, exchanged numbers, starting dating, I moved up to London, we moved in together, got engaged, got married and decided to move back to the US after her studies as the career opportunities would be better for the both of us.

Fast forward to now we now live in the mid-west, she has a very good job in her chosen career, I have a nice job at a local private bank, my step-daughter graduates high school next year, we have a nice house with a mortgage (never would have done that in London and would have taken longer in the Brighton area), have a dog and a cat (Murray).

I make it sound all sunshine and rainbows, but we are just a regular family. We have our ups and downs but we work through them as a family.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
After a few years spent working in Brighton and travelling the world, I decided to pack my bags for good and move to Vietnam. Stayed a few years then thought I'd better head back to Europe to catch up with family and friends so moved to Seville. The itchy feet crept in after 4 years so went to Sardinia and now I'm back in Spain.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Does Yorkshire count as abroad? Been here 27 years and counting.

I moved up there in 71, having married someone from Dewsbury. We divorced in 91, but not having learned my lesson I remarried someone from Rotherham in 93.
After 33 years up there, I escaped and got back to Sussex.
I've worked with Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, Barnsley, and Sheffield (both styes) fans, having stuck by Brighton all the time. I managed to see them at away games and a couple of games a season when visiting my Dad. The one time they weren't taking the mickey was the 83 cup final, as to a man, they all wanted us to beat Man Utd.
I still have relatives (and inlaws) up there.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Had wanted to move to Canada ever since I saw Cool Runnings as a kid.

Had a Working Holiday Visa in 2013, met a Canadian girl whilst travelling and working on the East Coast. She sponsored me to become a Canadian resident, and despite subsequently breaking up, I decided to remain in Canada. Now, however, I'm in Ottawa!

I wouldn't give up the access to nature, low cost of living, and four distinct seasons for anything! Love it here.

Of course, you had a brief UK visit in between. But ran away back to Canada after working with me proved TOO MUCH.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Spent a few years between Aus & NZ 8-9 years ago, loved it.
Decided to give Canada a go and enjoy it more-so than the UK, but less than Aus. Been here nearly 3 years now.

Immigrating to Canada has been relatively easy, there's plenty of ex-pats and football to play here. Plus wages (in my field) pay around 50% higher than the UK, which is a nice bonus. Although housing is pure insanity. Swings and roundabouts.

I'll likely do another year or two here, then either make moves down to the US for better weather, income and quality of life in general.
Or, if Aus open their doors to Canadians/Brits, I'll go walkabout and settle down somewhere near Noosa, QLD.
Worst case scenario, Gibraltar.

Lucky enough to have no financial ties or kids, so move about as I like.

If any Aus based NCS'ers want to sponsor me for work, there's a cool $10k in it for you. :lolol: :wave:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Decided to give Canada a go and enjoy it more-so than the UK, but less than Aus. Been here nearly 3 years now.

Immigrating to Canada has been relatively easy, there's plenty of ex-pats and football to play here. Plus wages (in my field) pay around 50% higher than the UK, which is a nice bonus. Although housing is pure insanity. Swings and roundabouts.

I'll likely do another year or two here, then either make moves down to the US for better weather, income and quality of life in general.
Or, if Aus open their doors to Canadians/Brits, I'll go walkabout and settle down somewhere near Noosa, QLD.

If any Aus based NCS'ers want to sponsor me for work, there's a cool $10k in it for you. :lolol: :wave:

Looked seriously at shipping out to Canada but was put off by low annual leave allowance. Apparently can be as low as 10 days a year in some jobs. Is this a reality?

BTW I have SA (Adelaide) based family who would sponsor anyone for cash like that!

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach

If any Aus based NCS'ers want to sponsor me for work, there's a cool $10k in it for you. [emoji38]ol: :wave:
I'm keen to give Canada a go, is it really easy to move there?

Spent 20 years in Oz from a youngster, not for me and won't be going back.

Love it here, lived in Brighton, London and Newcastle so maybe time for a change of countries.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Looked seriously at shipping out to Canada but was put off by low annual leave allowance. Apparently can be as low as 10 days a year in some jobs. Is this a reality?

BTW I have SA (Adelaide) based family who would sponsor anyone for cash like that!

I think 20 days is more the norm, although it depends what you do. There's also more public holidays. My company's policy is "take as many days off as you want as long as you take at least 10 days" :thumbsup:

My story: I was a bit disillusioned with my career and life in general in 2015. I decided to apply to do a Master's in Toronto in 2015, after coming over here to visit a friend I'd met when travelling. I didn't think I'd get accepted on the course, so it was a big surprise when I got the offer. I sold my flat in Brighton, packed up a couple of suitcases and moved out here.

3 and a half years on, I'm a permanent resident, have a decent job (with the holiday perks) and own a condo.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

It depends on the company, but I can only imagine low/non-skilled/temporary positions offering as low as 10 days, but I've never heard of anything that low.
My deal is similar to companies I worked for in the UK. 20 days holiday + bank holidays + max 10 unpaid days off. So I have at least 31-32 paid days off a year.
Other friends have 6 weeks paid holiday, and some have to accrue holiday. All depends on employer, but it's definitely not as bad as the US in terms of vacation leave.

Well hook me up! :cheery:

I'm keen to give Canada a go, is it really easy to move there?

It generally depends on your circumstances (age, skill and education). Type into google 'come to Canada tool', and it's a very easy way to see if you are eligible. For reference, I'm 30, no uni degree, with 5 years in a 'skilled' position, with one year of that skilled position carried out within Canada (which gave me loads of points for immigration).

Spent 20 years in Oz from a youngster, not for me and won't be going back.

Where in Aus, and why wasn't it for you? I spent 2 years there 10 years ago and loved the place, mainly south of Perth and North of Brisbane areas over the 2 years.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
It generally depends on your circumstances (age, skill and education). Type into google 'come to Canada tool', and it's a very easy way to see if you are eligible. For reference, I'm 30, no uni degree, with 5 years in a 'skilled' position, with one year of that skilled position carried out within Canada (which gave me loads of points for immigration).

Where in Aus, and why wasn't it for you? I spent 2 years there 10 years ago and loved the place, mainly south of Perth and North of Brisbane areas over the 2 years.

Also just south of Perth city. Found it isolated, boring, expensive, hot.

Will definitely look into the come to Canada, cheers!

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
When my son was old enough to understand (about 3) I told him that it was his choice. As he was born in Sheffield (and in the correct side of the city) he could choose to support Sheffield United if he wanted, or he could support Brighton, because that's my team.

We both like United (and hate Wednesday) but he made the correct choice and is 100% Albion.

Often wondered how the division in cities for football works, Liverpool/Everton, Nott County / forest ect, is it a geographical divide?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Often wondered how the division in cities for football works, Liverpool/Everton, Nott County / forest ect, is it a geographical divide?

A lot of football teams start off as church teams, so the divide could be Catholic/Protestant.

In Sheffield, United were more working class, and Wednesday middle class.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A lot of football teams start off as church teams, so the divide could be Catholic/Protestant.

In Sheffield, United were more working class, and Wednesday middle class.
Yeah it's a strange one in Sheffield. As you say, that was the original divide but now the nice areas of Sheffield are the South and West of the city. United areas geographically, rather than Wednesday who are in bandit country North Sheffield. #shithole

So there's an interesting split. Dronfield (just down the road from us) is about as far away from Hillsborough as you can get and still say you're part of the city, but it's almost all Wednesday. Presumably because it's quite posh, so the history has affected that.

You honestly never know when meeting someone in Sheffield if they are Blades or Owls until you ask them, as where you live makes no difference.

I've always enjoyed answering the question "No I'm Brighton mate, but I do hate Wednesday....".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think 20 days is more the norm, although it depends what you do. There's also more public holidays. My company's policy is "take as many days off as you want as long as you take at least 10 days" :thumbsup:

My story: I was a bit disillusioned with my career and life in general in 2015. I decided to apply to do a Master's in Toronto in 2015, after coming over here to visit a friend I'd met when travelling. I didn't think I'd get accepted on the course, so it was a big surprise when I got the offer. I sold my flat in Brighton, packed up a couple of suitcases and moved out here.

3 and a half years on, I'm a permanent resident, have a decent job (with the holiday perks) and own a condo.

I had some ties with the Toronto office of a company I was doing some work. Went to Toronto to visit them as well. I loved the city and the Toronto office floated the idea of working there. I’d met a new girlfriend at the time and didn’t pursue the offer. I’m happy living in Berlin but do wonder what might have been had my circumstances at that time been different. I think I’d have loved living in Toronto.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here