Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gus Poyet on Goals on Sunday now...

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Why is it sad to look at Gus' time with us through rose-tinted glasses? I enjoyed every minute of our time with Gus, it was superb, some of the best football I've ever seen us play.

Both Gus and CH have achieved similar, relegation zone to promotion to stability in division above in 4 seasons, and they're both heroes.

I've also never got the animosity to Gus, it never made any sense to me

Not a problem with rose tinted glasses,just don’t take offence when someone disagrees. That’s not aim at you.

I think you’ll find promotion to EPL trumps promotion to championship.

It retrospect I think it’s because .... he’s a total arse.

you could lock him in a room on his own and after five minutes he’d still end up having an argument.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Amazing how this same topic comes up so often. Amazing in League One. Felt like all his signings paid off at that time. Ankergren, Greer, Calderon, Painter, Sparrow, Barnes, Bridcutt, Kishishev, LuaLua, Wood off the top of my head. We'll forget about Arismendi, Holroyd and Sandaza. He was v well backed on wages, but recruited superbly.

It was the Championship it all went odd with some dire performances in amongst some brilliant ones. No doubt in my mind that he should have got us promoted with a team featuring an EPL winner in goal, England internationals at left back and centre back, a Champions League right back and winner, 2 central midfielders that had captained teams out of the Championship, and a future premier league forward.

Shame the bloke is a maniac.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I loved Gus

I loved the style of football

I loved his lunacy

I loved the first two seasons in the championship

I loved the team of misfits we had, who at times played some amazing football.

Orlandi
Kuszczak
Upson
Noone
Spanish Dave
Vicente
Barnes
Bruno
Buckley
Bridcutt
Calde
Greer
El Abd
Wayne Bridge
Ulloa

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In football you can quickly fall from hero to villain and Gus did just that. Should be up there with Lloyd, Mullery and Chris in terms of greatness but I stick him below these and Gritt, Adams and McGuee in my all time fav list because of the nature of his departure.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I loved Gus

I loved the style of football

I loved his lunacy

I loved the first two seasons in the championship

I loved the team of misfits we had, who at times played some amazing football.

Orlandi
Kuszczak
Upson
Noone
Spanish Dave
Vicente
Barnes
Bruno
Buckley
Bridcutt
Calde
Greer
El Abd
Wayne Bridge
Ulloa

Mis fits?! Should’ve gone to Priestfield :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Amazing how this same topic comes up so often. Amazing in League One. Felt like all his signings paid off at that time. Ankergren, Greer, Calderon, Painter, Sparrow, Barnes, Bridcutt, Kishishev, LuaLua, Wood off the top of my head. We'll forget about Arismendi, Holroyd and Sandaza. He was v well backed on wages, but recruited superbly.

It was the Championship it all went odd with some dire performances in amongst some brilliant ones. No doubt in my mind that he should have got us promoted with a team featuring an EPL winner in goal, England internationals at left back and centre back, a Champions League right back and winner, 2 central midfielders that had captained teams out of the Championship, and a future premier league forward.

Shame the bloke is a maniac.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You forgot about Baz, Battipiedi, Hartley.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've not read the thread. But the guy quite literally LAUNCHED us. He was the perfect man, at the perfect time. The way it ended will not colour my perception of what he did for BHAFC.

He is VASTLY in credit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He left because he new he couldn’t get us promoted. 4th is exactly that and if you don’t win play offs then it’s mes little.

It’s not a meaningless stat, it says much about the style of football that he played. When it worked it was a thing of beauty, when it didn’t it was boring as hell.

And of course getting promoted from the Championship to the Premier League is such a bloody cakewalk isn't it.

He dragged BHA up by its bootstraps from the arse-end of League One, to the top 4 of the Championship within 3 years WITHOUT spending a kings ransom. The bloke worked miracles. It ended very sourly, but I do find it astonishing how some people allow the manner of his departure to completely whitewash away just what he did for BHAFC.

He is one of our greatest ever managers. Some of my best ever days of watching this football club was down to him. Anyone who thinks he was anything other than BRILLIANT for this club has their head shoved right up their arse.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bolleaux. First TB manager. First Albion manager with the purse-strings loosened. As Poyet's subsequent managerial career has demonstrated, he's not all that. Even Oscar Garcia managed to reach the halfway line in half the number of crab-like sideways passes than Poyet did (10 instead of 20) :shrug:
Gus got us out of league one, but couldn’t get us out of the championship. I’d wager that there are a number of managers who could have achieved that.
Although TB gave us money to compete (massive compared to what we were used to), we didn't have the biggest budget, but we were best in the league (when we won L1). We also did pretty well in the Championship under Gus.

He hasn't succeeded since, but our team played his way and it was successful.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Our last year in League1 was probably my favourite time as an Albion fan. We knew the stadium was approaching, we played exciting football, were able to keep up with THAT Southampton team despite being 10 points ahead of them and their physio. Also had our best kit ;)

Great times travelling away and felt like the end of an era transitioning into a new and more secure one. Felt like a year long celebration saying goodbye to a level of football and the only kind of level I'd ever really experienced being born in the 80's.

Gus had swagger and I think gave us the spark to succeed that season to the degree we did. I think it also got us close various times in the Champ but ultimately we needed that bit more stability and the 'bite' needed more 'purpose' to tip us over. CH really was the ideal follow on, and I for one wasn't impressed with either incumbant between the two of them!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Our last year in League1 was probably my favourite time as an Albion fan. We knew the stadium was approaching, we played exciting football, were able to keep up with THAT Southampton team despite being 10 points ahead of them and their physio. Also had our best kit ;)

Great times travelling away and felt like the end of an era transitioning into a new and more secure one. Felt like a year long celebration saying goodbye to a level of football and the only kind of level I'd ever really experienced being born in the 80's.

Gus had swagger and I think gave us the spark to succeed that season to the degree we did. I think it also got us close various times in the Champ but ultimately we needed that bit more stability and the 'bite' needed more 'purpose' to tip us over. CH really was the ideal follow on, and I for one wasn't impressed with either incumbant between the two of them!

This.

That Season was by far and away the best I’ve experienced. We had a swagger, we knew we were the best team in the league and we KNEW we had a future in the top flight in the distance.

Marvellous scenes.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Gus knows that not keeping Murray was the turning point (down) in his career. If he'd have kept 'not good enough' Barnes and FFS together - 42 goals combined the previous/title winning season - he'd have achieved his PL ambition and thus avoided/delayed the flounce after Palace.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't think he and Barber got along too well and a little bit of a power struggle was going on. Barber won, and I don't think the ego of Gus could take that.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I loved the time that he was here
We played with a swagger and he raised our profile so much in those days
The manner of his leaving did colour everyone's view of him but the one thing that really stuck in my craw was that he didn't play CMS to his strengths - could have been a vastly different story.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Have to give Gus the credit for changing the football culture at the club. I realise that Tony's finance was also a factor but Gus was responsible for changing our style from a more physical bustling type of football, to what I would regard as a more modern style of play. The L1 championship season was one of my favourite Albion seasons ever and the ride to the playoffs was also an exhilarating one.

At the time of his rancorous departure however I was very much in the good riddance camp as his ego had got the better of him. The handling of the second leg and against P***** was the final straw. I'm glad he went when he did. I feel that enough water has flown under that particular bridge now for us to look back on the good times we had under Gus and just brush past the unedifying end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here