Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Marmalade - what’s your recipe?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sounds really easy and satisfying to make. It is. Day 1: your house smells lovely and citrusy. Day 2: your house smells of marmalade. Unless...A real sense of achievement.

I'd probably burn down the kitchen ...you do this. If you do, you have bigger problems than an unset marmaladeand lose an eye in the process sadly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A friend of mine makes her own. Waste of time if you ask me.

Every time she visits me she brings me a jar of it and every time i move house each and every one of them gets thrown in the bin.

That's rather ungrateful.

I make my own jam and chutney using plums from my tree, plus local wild plums. I often give a jar away, and I'd rather people tell me not to bother cos they don't eat the stuff than take it and waste it.

:shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Mine’s a bastardised version of Nigelllllll Slater’s.

11 Seville oranges
1 sweet orange
2 lemons
1 lime
1.25kg of unrefined granulated sugar.

Peel all fruit. Slice peel into chunks of desired thickness. Juice all fruit into bowl, reserving all pulp and pips. Make juice up to 4l with water, put chunks of rind into it and store for 24 hours. Put pulp and pips into muslin.

24 hours later - push muslin bag under surface of liquid, and hot simmer for about 45 mins (until peel is soft). Remove muslin bag, squeeze it tightly and put anything that comes out into the liquid. Add sugar. Bring to rolling boil and wait until it’s at setting point.

Leave for 20-30 mins. Pour into jars.

Makes ~6lbs. So I multiply by 3.

Your recipe?

I hope you sterilised the jars and lids!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I hope you sterilised the jars and lids!

Why? I’ve been led to believe very recently that there’s no such thing as germs, since the gent in question can’t see them. If he sees no reason to wash his hands, I see no need to sterilise the jars. *

*Yeah, I did.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Why? I’ve been led to believe very recently that there’s no such thing as germs, since the gent in question can’t see them. If he sees no reason to wash his hands, I see no need to sterilise the jars. *

*Yeah, I did.

Oh you're such a card :lolol:

My Mrs said to ask you, ex chef and hygiene guru:D

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Anybody know the difference between jam and marmalade?

jam1_3353165b.jpg
8061000-6549067-image-m-11_1546460593145.jpg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Can you use a small knob of butter in lieu of pectin, or is that just for jam?

You can use a knob of butter for so many things. Ask Marlon Brando.

In jam/marmalade making, its not a pectin-substitute really. It’s used to disperse whatever scum is left after you’ve done your skimming.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is a traditional Scottish Recipe

***********************************************************************************************************************************
JANE’S MUM’S MARMALADE

2 lb Seville oranges
2 lemons
9 lb sugar
7 pints of water + ½ pint water

In a small pot – add ½ pt water + juice ( and pips and and pith ) from all of the fruit . Boil for 30mins.

In jam pan add finely chopped peel of fruit + 7 pints water. Sieve the contents of the small pot and push through with a spoon. Try to get as much through the sieve as possible as this is the main source of pectin.

Soak fruit overnight (with the contents of the small pot through sieve)

Bring fruit to boil and add sugar.

Boil for at least 60mins or until forms a soft skin after cooling on a plate in the fridge.

Should make around 15lbs of marmalade

***********************************************************************************************************************************

I have made 30lbs so far this year. The longer you leave it the darker and more nutty the taste. Add pectin if you like it really jelly like.

I have about 3kg of home grown small oranges that are seriously bitter and plan next week to make the above with a trivet of shredded fresh ginger inserted into the overnight soak.

Love it me.....

TNBA

TTF

Are you a toothless diabetic yet ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Quirky fact: the word 'marmalade' derives from its Scottish origins, where housewives would ask their children/husbands/milkmen if they wanted "more, ma lad?" Beats me how the Scots were able to get hold of oranges in Victorian times.

??? Not sure if joking ??? :)

Everybody knows the word marmalade was coined in the hit TV show Pugwall's Summer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is a traditional Scottish Recipe

JANE’S MUM’S MARMALADE

2 lb Seville oranges
2 lemons
9 lb sugar
7 pints of water + ½ pint water

In a small pot – add ½ pt water + juice ( and pips and and pith ) from all of the fruit . Boil for 30mins.

In jam pan add finely chopped peel of fruit + 7 pints water. Sieve the contents of the small pot and push through with a spoon. Try to get as much through the sieve as possible as this is the main source of pectin.

Soak fruit overnight (with the contents of the small pot through sieve)

Bring fruit to boil and add sugar.

Boil for at least 60mins or until forms a soft skin after cooling on a plate in the fridge.

Should make around 15lbs of marmalade

I have made 30lbs so far this year. The longer you leave it the darker and more nutty the taste. Add pectin if you like it really jelly like.

I have about 3kg of home grown small oranges that are seriously bitter and plan next week to make the above with a trivet of shredded fresh ginger inserted into the overnight soak.

Love it me.....

TNBA

TTF

Are you a toothless diabetic yet ?

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Pick a mix of oranges from the garden, wash them, roughly chop, add to food mixer and blitz until correct size. Large preserving pan add complete orange pulp to pan with equal amount of sugar. Bring to the boil, fast simmer for 20 mins, or until set.

Works equally as well with lemons, grapefruit, or any mix of citrus fruits..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here