Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Catering at the Amex, has it improved?

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
No cooked pizza in the WSU do get chicken and if you lucky sausage rolls.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
Without all the prawn sandwich jokes (please...) its just as rubbish in 1901. Yes, the queues are much shorter than other stands but they regularly sell out of pies and the bar staff are just as slow and useless. Given up with eating inside, the fish and chips outside the ground is far better quality and better value.

River Ouse Water Rubbish.

Tsk, that's Sussex's finest beverage you're talking about there!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Would be classic BG for this to be the case

Followed up by classic/wind up merchant BG ignoring the valid point of [MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION]

Totally THIS 7/8 of us who sit together used to send one to get half time pints in now 6 out of the 8 can’t be bothered so we just give up. If that’s replicated just across the WSU then assume they’re giving up quite a bit of dosh there alone.

The fact we have a catering partner and have sacked two suggests we know that operationally it’s impossible to deliver and the margins not tempting enough to do that ourselves.

I reckon from the first season to now the lost revenue per person per game from our group of 8 alone is c£20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disagree - if it were impossible, how do other stadia operators get it right? Sadly, bit like the railways, football seems to shrug its shoulders and has done a marvellous job of, frankly, convincing its customer base like you that things can't be done better. Look at the number of resigned believers on this thread alone. But it's simply not true. Big Contract Caterers (e.g. Sodexo employ something in the region of 330,000 people worldwide) have big overheads but are often riddled with functional inefficiencies that are periodically addressed before growing again. Meaning there's often a lot of opportunity to improve, more that could be done etc but isn't because of things like job protectionism, internal conflicts and widespread inability to make decisions. Anyone on here that's worked with or for big businesses will be familiar with this culture, its not exclusive to catering industry. It all adds up though and is reflected in their cost to serve. I could write a decent book on this subject matter, inc. a few words on the Amex opening which had it's moments lets say, as is to be expected, but still...Anyway, as the old saying goes, only if you can afford the lawyers! :)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
But it's simply not true. Big Contract Caterers (e.g. Sodexo employ something in the region of 330,000 people worldwide) have big overheads but are often riddled with functional inefficiencies that are periodically addressed before growing again. Meaning there's often a lot of opportunity to improve, more that could be done etc but isn't because of things like job protectionism, internal conflicts and widespread inability to make decisions. Anyone on here that's worked with or for big businesses will be familiar with this culture, its not exclusive to catering industry. It all adds up though and is reflected in their cost to serve. I could write a decent book on this subject matter, inc. a few words on the Amex opening which had it's moments lets say, as is to be expected, but still...Anyway, as the old saying goes, only if you can afford the lawyers! :)

Boringly some of my day job involves process improvement for a global organisation and there are ALWAYS operational efficiencies to be had.

The crux of the problem revolves around whether the customer dissatisfaction or business volume drop demands you to look at the process.

Sadly as customers we the fans and the club are culpable for not demanding better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gut feel is queues have generally been shorter/quicker this season in the WSU but I wonder if it's just that more people now swerve the catering completely.

The club used to issue stats about pies and pints sold in the early days of the AMEX, do they stil do this?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
No you're right the club couldn't give a shit.

Only top club I know that has four beers available on draught one of which is a real ale which has to be binned if it doesn't sell (bright beer only last a few days). Uses a local pie supplier instead of a standard shite one. Plenty of kiosks compared to many grounds. Large comfortable concourses.

No you're right.

** Only top club I know that has four beers available on draught one of which is a real ale which has to be binned if it doesn't sell - And they'd sell plenty more (or at least sell out) if they got their act together.

** Uses a local pie supplier instead of a standard shite one. - Local, yes - I applaud that. However, standard "shite ones" aren't a million miles off Piglets. Plus, it always looks like they've shed loads left over...

** Plenty of kiosks compared to many grounds. - Staffed by the entire cast of 'Walking Dead'. Pointless having loads of kiosks if everyone behind them moves like a tortoise going into hibernation.

** Large comfortable concourses. - Yes. They are. Mostly taken up by queues for the mens toilets, or the kiosks. I will say again, turn the odd Womens toilet into a Mens and it'd help enormously.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
One thing that I have noticed since the start of the current season, is the lack of threads on the incompetance of the catering at the Amex.

Has it really improved? or have there simply been more pressing things to post on?

Well i've thread the thread and I'm not sure if they have or have not..what do you think?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
..... Que’s halved

Sorted

que.jpeg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's horrible. I now get coffee from the stall outside by the memorial garden. The muffins are awesome and the american decaff is Devine.

The pies in the stadium are cold, or Luke warm and horrible.

Such is all football catering apart from Sheffield united's meat and potato pies and Norwich city Delilah, Christmas dinner pie which is just awesome and makes ours efforts look and taste like regurgitated mouse droppings.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No you're right the club couldn't give a shit.

Only top club I know that has four beers available on draught one of which is a real ale which has to be binned if it doesn't sell (bright beer only last a few days). Uses a local pie supplier instead of a standard shite one. Plenty of kiosks compared to many grounds. Large comfortable concourses.

No you're right.

I detect some sarcasm here! Didn't say worst, far from. But things could be done better, in terms of f&b service, as they are at other stadia. Convinced of that as are plenty of others on here too. That's point being made, not comfort of our seats or design of stadium which is 2nd to none as we all agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here