Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Don't forget to give Comrade Enrest's latest offering a bash

1529740358_cover.jpg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Local noise-punks Sealings (either top or 2nd in SHC's bands he's seen most in his life stakes) have put a couple of tracks from their forthcoming new tape up on Bandcamp

https://gobnation.bandcamp.com/album/scum-the-sound-of-music

"'Sealings’ often feral live performances, once described as being ‘based more on confrontation than anything else’ have long been unhelpful when addressing their recorded output. If 2013’s two-track 7” ‘My Boyfriend’s Dead’, featuring brutalist electronic shoegaze as well melodic noise-pop wasn’t clear about their diverse intentions, then 2015’s debut full length ‘I’m A *******’ hammered the point home

An all too long three years later and they’re at it again, merging the familiar with the unfamiliar on new Gob Nation released tape ‘Scum/ The Sound of Music.’ Lead video ‘Sports’ has a synth pop lightness about it, like Suicide 2 or a darkwave Sparks, tipping the hat to drummer and programmer Scott’s involvement in The Pheremoans. ‘Having A Dream’ is a two minute electro-punk gem reminiscent in structure and intent of another stalwart of the UK underground, Cowtown. Aptly named ‘Charnel Ground’ is heavy-footed gravegaze of the highest order, woozy and punchdrunk, desperately dragging itself to A&E, with more than a hint of the horror soundtrack about it. Album closer and highlight ‘Hanger Lane’ stands tall as their first, and perhaps only, dubplate"

"Played some of the best, and worst, shows I've ever seen" - Dan Reeves, Faux DIscx

"Hipster garbage" - Anonymous, Last.fm

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
They were in my top five last year with At the Feet of the Mountain Forever, and Binker and Moses are destined to duplicate that this year with the similarly stunning and life-affirming Alive in the East?, indicating just how exciting, eclectic and dynamic the British/London jazz scene is at the moment.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
They were in my top five last year with At the Feet of the Mountain Forever, and Binker and Moses are destined to duplicate that this year with the similarly stunning and life-affirming Alive in the East?, indicating just how exciting, eclectic and dynamic the British/London jazz scene is at the moment.

Binker was all over Love Supreme a few weeks ago. I think it was on the Saturday it felt like every set I went to watch featured him. Incredible musician.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Binker was all over Love Supreme a few weeks ago. I think it was on the Saturday it felt like every set I went to watch featured him. Incredible musician.

In my view, Moses is arguably better, although there really isn't much in it, and together they're more than the sum of their parts.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003

I agree that album was one of the best British jazz albums in last few years. They’re playing the jazz cafe in sept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Anyone know what's happened to Buzzer ? Not posted anything on here or Twitter for ages . Used to enjoy his album reviews.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Has anyone mentioned this Idris Ackamoor record yet? A bit Fela Kuti, a bit Sun Ra, a bit Pharaoh Saunders, a bit Lee Perry.

https://idrisackamoorandthepyramids.bandcamp.com/

I've gone a bit quiet recently as I've been falling head over heels for Kool Keith, mainly investigating back catalog stuff (after hearing Mark Smith and Ben Wallers bigging him up.) This one from the new Dr. Octagon record released this year featuring Paul Banks from Interpol is lush and literally perfect for this hot spell we're having.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zojACVu8iEc

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone know what's happened to Buzzer ? Not posted anything on here or Twitter for ages . Used to enjoy his album reviews.

My thoughts too. Holidays?

Calling [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Has anyone mentioned this Idris Ackamoor record yet? A bit Fela Kuti, a bit Sun Ra, a bit Pharaoh Saunders, a bit Lee Perry.

https://idrisackamoorandthepyramids.bandcamp.com/

I've gone a bit quiet recently as I've been falling head over heels for Kool Keith, mainly investigating back catalog stuff (after hearing Mark Smith and Ben Wallers bigging him up.) This one from the new Dr. Octagon record released this year featuring Paul Banks from Interpol is lush and literally perfect for this hot spell we're having

Thanks for the Idris Ackamoor recommendation. I’m enjoying this.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I was thinking the same thing at the weekend. How am I meant to know what to listen to?

He's not posted on Facebook for a while either. Anyone in touch with him?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here