Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION]. I'm stunned. My lad would never choose a bike over an X-Box1. Don't let him get anything with too low a saddle. I see some 'cool' kiddies riding to school on such bikes but they are completely useless really if you want to ride.
[MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION]. I guess your current tape is knackered? If so, go with whatever. Cadence intrigues me but not with a garminge2.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Oh and [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION] every time I think I've finally given up on your search, something else pops up.
Planet X have a 20% off discount until 02.12.14 code UKSTAFFJVI20

I had seen the code (seems too good to be true), with an additional 20% off their already very low prices I have been umming and ahhing over a couple of their bikes. But as yet have been unable to bring myself to shift from my unattainable requirements.

They have had some pretty good daily deals recently. I treated myself to a wheel bag for £13 (plus other items to take me over the £50 for free postage :whistle:). Today they have the Pro Carbon Ultegra 6800 for £899.

The BMC TM02 had it's proper christening round the Castle Combe race track this weekend. Before the race (a *cough* duathlon *cough) someone came up to me and said how lovely it looked *blush*.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Down to the park and probably into the woods.

Nothing too hardcore, but definitely needs to be able to take a little punishment.
Your mantra for this shop is:-

'Less is more'.

Gears - He's only ever going to use 5 so why buy 27 when you can have 18, and why 18 when 9 is available.
Suspension - Full suspension would be like riding through sand. So nothing other than some 'cosmetic' shocks on the front.
Tyres - You're not going to get comparatively thin tyres, but he definitely doesn't need massive thick ones with mountainous tread.
Brakes - Hopefully saving money on the above will get a half decent set of disc brakes.

Your local bike shop is Hargroves, they are good I've bought from there before.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes.html?dir=asc&order=price

As you can see plenty to choose from.

Cube's are keenly priced and most are fluorescent which I believe is down with the kidz.

You need to resist the temptation to pop into Halfords.
You'll see an Apollo with 'everything' and £100 cheaper.
It'll not last and will start creaking and grinding before the spring.

Remember you might even get some miles in on this bike too.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Your mantra for this shop is:-

'Less is more'.

Gears - He's only ever going to use 5 so why buy 27 when you can have 18, and why 18 when 9 is available.
Suspension - Full suspension would be like riding through sand. So nothing other than some 'cosmetic' shocks on the front.
Tyres - You're not going to get comparatively thin tyres, but he definitely doesn't need massive thick ones with mountainous tread.
Brakes - Hopefully saving money on the above will get a half decent set of disc brakes.

Your local bike shop is Hargroves, they are good I've bought from there before.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes.html?dir=asc&order=price

As you can see plenty to choose from.

Cube's are keenly priced and most are fluorescent which I believe is down with the kidz.

You need to resist the temptation to pop into Halfords.
You'll see an Apollo with 'everything' and £100 cheaper.
It'll not last and will start creaking and grinding before the spring.

Remember you might even get some miles in on this bike too.

Thank you.

Great advice :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's hard to think of a more rewarding ride I've had recently than today's.

Coming down off Ditchling I must have reached the pier at about 2:45.

The next hour and a bit was spent along the coast with a decent tailwind and nose to tail traffic.

I can't imagine just how many cars I overtook, their combined value would be frightening.
I never saw any of them again.
From Pier to doorstep bicycle was easily the quickest mode of transport (going east to west).

Happy days.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Not interesting:

My 2nd and 3rd trips up Ide = same time (consistent if nothing else), 19s quicker than first go. Today I made an effort to stay closer to my faster mate, PR by 19s. That extra effort for not much gain took the edge off, so not as much left for future hills as I would have liked.

However, having a hare is definitely helping generally.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah I was just looking at your ride Moto and the return of [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION].

Good stuff.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not interesting:

My 2nd and 3rd trips up Ide = same time (consistent if nothing else), 19s quicker than first go. Today I made an effort to stay closer to my faster mate, PR by 19s. That extra effort for not much gain took the edge off, so not as much left for future hills as I would have liked.

However, having a hare is definitely helping generally.

Another nice ride there Moto.

I'm curious as to why you often seem to go West towards Tonbridge & Sevenoaks and not East down towards Ashford way and beyond.

I have a tendency to go East and then up into Kent from where I am because roads are quieter over there and I barely have to touch any traffic before being free. Found some lovely roads up beyond Tenterden and wondered why you rarely head down that way yourself from where you are. Do you mainly go hill seeking?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Another nice ride there Moto.

I'm curious as to why you often seem to go West towards Tonbridge & Sevenoaks.

Do you mainly go hill seeking?

I used to mix it up, but now I don't ride solo I need to work out how to do 40+ and be back before I get told off for being late. My mate lives in Tonbridge, so me knocking for him gets me home first.

Hills are where its at.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think I've found my next 'must have' bike, even with though it's got fishing tackle on it.

endurace-cf-9-sl_c1024.png

https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3504

On a completely different note, does anyone want to buy a kidney, spleen, appendix & some tonsils.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Forget the internal organs SB, is your back gonna survive a few miles on that?

Back to jerseys. I was at the Mad Stad yesterday for the rugby and went into the shop. Clocked cycling jerseys right off. Basically replicas of playing jerseys; bottle green or black with the same badge and sponsors. Being a Glos fan was never gonna get one. Thing is, the green one looked mint. Black one looked too ninja-like for me. £50 and it can be done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Forget the internal organs SB, is your back gonna survive a few miles on that?
Oh yeah, it's Canyon's first ever 'sportive' bike.
According to the review I read it's armchairtastic because blah blah blah technical stuff.

Anyway it's a moot point as my back is fook on or off a bike.

I was once examined by a chiropractor, he said:-
'well Mr Stat first impressions your spine looks ok, can you sit down please'.
I sat down, at which point he said
'Ay caramba, no no no, do that again'.
I knew I was in trouble.

Apparently my spine concertinas and twists into an 's' shaped.

His last words were, 'well I can't to much about that'.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh yeah, it's Canyon's first ever 'sportive' bike.
According to the review I read it's armchairtastic because blah blah blah technical stuff.

Anyway it's a moot point as my back is fook on or off a bike.

I was once examined by a chiropractor, he said:-
'well Mr Stat first impressions your spine looks ok, can you sit down please'.
I sat down, at which point he said
'Ay caramba, no no no, do that again'.
I knew I was in trouble.

Apparently my spine concertinas and twists into an 's' shaped.

His last words were, 'well I can't to much about that'.

Good physio, plenty of massage and posture related stretching. :thumbsup:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
So it's usually the time of year I put the bike away and get the snowshows and snowboard out to play, but I'm currently in England for a bit of a stint and I've got my road bike with me, problem is, I only have dry weather summer riding gear.
What do you guys wear to keep you warm and dry? Any good deals out there at the moment?
Thanks.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
So it's usually the time of year I put the bike away and get the snowshows and snowboard out to play, but I'm currently in England for a bit of a stint and I've got my road bike with me, problem is, I only have dry weather summer riding gear.
What do you guys wear to keep you warm and dry? Any good deals out there at the moment?
Thanks.

Thermal base layer, long sleeve winter jersey, thermal jacket, windproof gilet, glove liners, thermal gloves, shorts, winter tights, thermal socks, overshoes, merino wool hat under helmet!!!!

Seriously though - road.cc and cycling weekly have had quite a few features on winter gear recently so you should be able to find something to suit budget. Apparently the decathlon range is reasonable if you want a cheap, short term option.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh full disclosure, the chiropractor visit was a freebie.
The fella obviously didn't see any money in me as he definitely said 'i cant do anything about that'.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Guys. I'm a little concerned about my gears. My ride on Sunday was curtailed by a puncture but I've also noticed that the rear derailleur is already starting to jump too far and sometimes I need to go two gears down and one back to get where I want, which isn't great! I suspect it just needs a little tweaking but I would be grateful for advice on how to do this or where to find such advice! Otherwise I will just try to do it myself in an uninformed sort of way and probably wreck my lovely bike!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here