Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where do we still need to strengthen in January?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm struggling to remember Stephens being 'The Saviour of the Albion' before his injury.

It's not like he was pi$$ poor or anything like that, but I only remember him as 'just another player'.

Anyhoo we need a player who will be 30 yards from goal and pass the ball FORWARD quickly and efficiently.

If that man is Stephens then great, but I can't help thinking come March there's going to be some Stephens is shitehouse threads.
Which he isn't but the simple fact is, it would be impossible for him to play to the standard he's been elevated to, all the while he's been injured.

I have always thought Stephens is our best all round midfielder and will replace Gardner when fit clearly

As for a player who can find a pass when were 30 yards from goal.... i believe we have them already... we just never get that far up the pitch on a regular basis to see it !

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm struggling to remember Stephens being 'The Saviour of the Albion' before his injury.

It's not like he was pi$$ poor or anything like that, but I only remember him as 'just another player'.

Anyhoo we need a player who will be 30 yards from goal and pass the ball FORWARD quickly and efficiently.

If that man is Stephens then great, but I can't help thinking come March there's going to be some Stephens is shitehouse threads.
Which he isn't but the simple fact is, it would be impossible for him to play to the standard he's been elevated to, all the while he's been injured.

The fans are just going to have to be patient with the pair of them I think.

Prior to his injury Stephens was becoming a real force in Centre midfield. Laid on three goals against Leicester, scored two of his own against Blackburn and Blackpool, I was very pleased with how he settled.

Given the severity of his injury it will be some time before he's back up to the pace again.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Pies. I realise we are world leaders in this respect, but there is the danger of complacency.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Pies. I realise we are world leaders in this respect, but there is the danger of complacency.

Got to keep pushing forwards in this regard. There's a solid base to build from of course, but pies can always be improved (except for the chilli con carne one, which is obviously perfect).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Got to keep pushing forwards in this regard. There's a solid base to build from of course, but pies can always be improved (except for the chilli con carne one, which is obviously perfect).

I really think that Pies are a serious undervalued part of our attempts to rule the football universe. Maybe we need songs about Pies.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we can keep the squad we have now, plus the return of March and Stephens we would be ok for mid table, if we are aiming higher then we would need a creative midfielder and right back.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
We need to strengthen in January on most Saturday afternoons, possibly a Friday evening and/or a Sunday afternoon too, and probably a couple of Tuesday evenings :smile:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
A new centre back because Dunk will be off to the Prem.

There is no way he will be going to the Premiership. His goals at the start of the year were a bonus but now they have dried up. How good is he really as a consistent central defender ? and what Premiership match day squad to you actually think he will be joining. To me a definite comment like that you must know. Go on tell us.. or are you just stirring. Course you are !!!! simple... You do not fool me son.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
As has been mentioned, crying out for a Gazza/Vicente creative ballplayer for that unseen reverse ball or deft flick over the top. Paddy looks capable yet there are evidently issues. Two-a-penny in The Championship!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As has been mentioned, crying out for a Gazza/Vicente creative ballplayer for that unseen reverse ball or deft flick over the top. Paddy looks capable yet there are evidently issues. Two-a-penny in The Championship!

Nobody said anything about reverse ball, deft flicks or any other signs of somebody touched by footballing greatness.

I just want some to collect the pass coming from our half, turn and pass it onto the goal rushing forward.
Not f*** about.
Not run into a blind alley.
Not pass it to the corner flag.
And certainly most definitely not shoot.

It's happened one and a half times this season, (sure the second one was 'agricultural') both against Bournemouth, both resulted in a goal.
Neither opportunity looked like they'd be missed.

As [MENTION=206]Marshy[/MENTION] said those players may already be in the team.
Hopefully they are, but for f***sake if you can score that easily, try it more than once.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here