Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Worthing parkrun. Gorgeous weather were it not for a vicious little easterly. 22.09 (75..02%). Firmly in the 'OK but nothing special' category. Big turnout today.

Decided not to go today as unwise to go too fast after 2 weeks off. Having coffee in the camper on the Prom on a beautiful morning and seeing all the runners making their way to the start made me change my mind. So ran to start and agreed to pace a friend at 7:40 pace. At 2.5 miles his hamstring went tight slowing us down before I could leave him and enjoy upping the pace to the finish with the Easterly giving gentle assistance. My mojo is back!

Saw a big group of Brighton shirts. Anyone from on here?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good luck to Halfers tomorrow. I’ll be watching from tneat the Hive Plinth. Legs recovering from a week’s skiing- back onto the running next week!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Volunteered on tokens duty at Preston Park PR (resting for HM tomorrow). The bloke in second place, who would have been on for a decent time of about 17:15, just kept going past entrance to the finish on the last lap and did another half a lap (despite people shouting at him). He then came back, didn't go through the finish line, and started berating the race officials and demanding (unsuccessfully) that his original fast time be recorded. I can't understand how someone who's that good a runner wouldn't be sufficiently experienced to realise when he'd done 5k, not to mention why he didn't just follow the front runner who was about 10 seconds in front of him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Volunteered on tokens duty at Preston Park PR (resting for HM tomorrow). The bloke in second place, who would have been on for a decent time of about 17:15, just kept going past entrance to the finish on the last lap and did another half a lap (despite people shouting at him). He then came back, didn't go through the finish line, and started berating the race officials and demanding (unsuccessfully) that his original fast time be recorded. I can't understand how someone who's that good a runner wouldn't be sufficiently experienced to realise when he'd done 5k, not to mention why he didn't just follow the front runner who was about 10 seconds in front of him.

Case of ‘race brain’ I guess. I did a marathon last year that was a simple 8 x out and back route along the Thames Path. On the second leg I missed the turnaround point and did about .75 of a mile extra wondering why the faster runners weren’t coming back towards me.........

He a tit for making a scene about it though, the finish funnel is pretty obvious and at the end of the day it’s a free, volunteer-run event so don’t be an arse if you make a mistake..........

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I made exactly the same mistake on my first ever Preston Park Park Run. I wasn’t running at 17 minute 5k pace though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bad form to berate the race officials especially as they’re volunteers.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Bad form to berate the race officials especially as they’re volunteers.

Agreed - I felt for him at first, especially after him running so well, until he started getting arsey and arguing the toss, and it became clear that he hadn't bothered to go to the first timers' briefing before the run, when the course is explained really clearly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed - I felt for him at first, especially after him running so well, until he started getting arsey and arguing the toss, and it became clear that he hadn't bothered to go to the first timers' briefing before the run, when the course is explained really clearly.

Good point about the first timers briefing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Maybe he couldn’t find it......

Good luck all halfers tomorrow remember to gasp out a greeting at the Peace Statue.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck tomorrow you lot flying round B&H.......I’d like to say I’m gutted not to be there, but I’d be lying. Not done a half for about 8 years....way too hard and hurty.......anyway, got a race on Friday where I’ve been ORDERED to use a run/walk strategy and practice race nutrition (ie take it easy and eat a lot). Got to do what coach says [emoji514][emoji507][emoji513][emoji3053][emoji106]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good luck tomorrow you lot flying round B&H.......I’d like to say I’m gutted not to be there, but I’d be lying. Not done a half for about 8 years....way too hard and hurty.......anyway, got a race on Friday where I’ve been ORDERED to use a run/walk strategy and practice race nutrition (ie take it easy and eat a lot). Got to do what coach says [emoji514][emoji507][emoji513][emoji3053][emoji106]

Sounds terrible :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks it was Lancing really freindly bunch 40 minutes so to call it a run is a bit of a stretch but even so I really enjoyed it and will be back again next week

Good man. First one is just for getting round. If you keep going each week it'll get easier, faster and more addictive. I can remember when I could barely wheeze round 2 miles but the encouragement I got from the guys on here means I am sitting here, chock full of adrenaline, about to go to Brighton Half. I'd honestly have laughed at anyone who said I'd be doing that 5 years ago.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’ve woken up with severe stomach ache. I’m hoping a few visits to the toilet ease the pain.

I’m sure someone will post the inevitable ‘shit himself’ runner now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here