Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever...

Have you ever called a Chinaman a 'chink'?

• Yes, I have.

Votes: 140 63.1%
  • No, I have not.

Votes: 82 36.9%

• Total voters

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Yes !
What's happened to freedom of speech ? Non existent now . What Whelan allegedly said is what most people say a lot of the time , the Jews are money grabbing people and good for them it has made many of them successful business people . Pathetic really even to be talking about it , but again someone who hasn't got anything to do notices it and makes it headline news .

Why is it we have to be careful what we say these days ? If someone called me fat , gay or a white ******* , I wouldn't give a damn , I would say something back not take them to court .

Why are we so sensitive ??? Why make a fuss ???

Rant over !

Oh you fat white gays ...always causing trouble you lot.

Camicus

No no its not. When will you get it? Just because you don't see it as a slur doesn't mean it isn't. I have explained to people here repeatedly now why it is offensive. I have also explained that there is a long history of it being used as a pejorative. I have also told you all what would happen if you called my boy a chink and you still think it is okay. If you use it you are insulting people based on their race and that is racist. People used to call people the n word as well now they don't

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
No no its not. When will you get it? Just because you don't see it as a slur doesn't mean it isn't. I have explained to people here repeatedly now why it is offensive. I have also explained that there is a long history of it being used as a pejorative. I have also told you all what would happen if you called my boy a chink and you still think it is okay. If you use it you are insulting people based on their race and that is racist. People used to call people the n word as well now they don't

The N word is interesting black people seem to have "claimed back" that word and use it more and more and said it different tones or situations seems to be becoming acceptable in pop culture being said by white and black people , the n word is starting to have a different meaning. , I know some people from Pakistan that use the word paki also. Its obvious from the eay you "tell" other people how offensive words are that you have the biggest issue possible more than someone of another race would. For the record when talking about take aways I do use the word chinky but I dont tend to refer to Chinese people as chinkys

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The N word is interesting black people seem to have "claimed back" that word and use it more and more and said it different tones or situations seems to be becoming acceptable in pop culture being said by white and black people , the n word is starting to have a different meaning. , I know some people from Pakistan that use the word paki also. Its obvious from the eay you "tell" other people how offensive words are that you have the biggest issue possible more than someone of another race would. For the record when talking about take aways I do use the word chinky but I dont tend to refer to Chinese people as chinkys

Interesting as you say The N word seems to have been "claimed back" I can't get my head around how the community find it heavily offensive when other races use it but include it in there own conversations with each other and not find it offensive. ??? how does that work???

Camicus

Likewise, just because you see it as a slur doesn't mean it is.

Can you point me at it again so i can see it.

You mean just because about every Chinese person on the planet sees it as a slur. Would you say it to their face? Would you say it to my sons face? No? In which case you know its out of order.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Once more people have never been killed for being a pom. Our lives have never counted for less because we are Poms where as they have if you are a Chinese.

What an Incredibly blinkered outlook!

Let me get this right, you're saying British people have never been killed because of their race?

Camicus

No Im saying that people have never been killed for being a Pom where as people have been killed for being seen as lesser and as such labled as Chinks. Im proberley the least blinkered person you are likely to meet but anyway take me to task for standing up for what is right rather than having he balls to stand up and say you know what Calling people names based on there skin colour is actually racist

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
No Im saying that people have never been killed for being a Pom where as people have been killed for being seen as lesser and as such labled as Chinks. Im proberley the least blinkered person you are likely to meet but anyway take me to task for standing up for what is right rather than having he balls to stand up and say you know what Calling people names based on there skin colour is actually racist

It's unacceptable racism.

There is a lot of acceptable racism in the world that is just as harmful. Either from where they live, physical attributes, mannerisms, hair colour etc.

It's all about intent. The English Language is incredible, let's not create such a petty world that we have to have a list of approved/non approved words. Next step Totalitarianism.

Camicus

It's unacceptable racism.

There is a lot of acceptable racism in the world that is just as harmful. Either from where they live, physical attributes, mannerisms, hair colour etc.

It's all about intent. The English Language is incredible, let's not create such a petty world that we have to have a list of approved/non approved words. Next step Totalitarianism.

It is all about intent but if you know that a word is racist then find a better way. Simple no? If I went in to work and used "Non approved" words such as the N word or P word there would be a riot. Its all about treating your fellow human beings with respect. Just because people have always done it isn't in my view a reasonable excuse. People need to take responsibility for their actions and words

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Its all about treating your fellow human beings with respect. Just because people have always done it isn't in my view a reasonable excuse. People need to take responsibility for their actions and words

I think the answer lies somewhere between these sentiments. Unfortunately therein lies the problem in that some people who never wish to be offensive nor have any shred of conscious racism in their intent will inevitably offend someone who is either on the receiving end or overhears it. [MENTION=25286]Camicus[/MENTION] is correct in that if we find that something we do or say is offensive to a group of people, we should moderate our behaviour. In regards to our speech, this is a habit that is relatively easy to moderate. Where this principle falls into a more difficult area, is where for instance the English population readily for the most part eat pork, but this behaviour is deemed wrong by Jews and Muslims. Should the English keep their pork eating habits secretive or indeed desist altogether? What we could end up with, and it's what [MENTION=347]Eggmundo[/MENTION] refers to, is some kind of Orwellian thought police which monitors our behaviour. It'd never happen, would it?

Camicus

If we go abroad fit in with local custom. When people come here they should do the same that's about personal responsibility. If we all act in a reasonable fashion then it's all good

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I heard about the island monkey thing a few years ago from a mate who lives over there. Absolutely love the idea of being referred to as an island monkey for some reason, think it sums is up well. Went round chanting it in German when very pissed over there. Wouldn't appreciate being referred to as a chink if I was Chinese though.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
If we go abroad fit in with local custom. When people come here they should do the same that's about personal responsibility. If we all act in a reasonable fashion then it's all good

Obviously what you say above is correct, but it's perfect world stuff, sadly, it's far from a perfect world, and as much as many will strive to make it so, it will never happen.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It's all gone cuckoo, the Worlds gone daft..I hear and see more people referring to the N-word than I ever did the actual word itself. Hence I am more aware than less of any racial awareness. I think it's all a load of nonsense. I'm not in the slightest racist, I used to, as a child sing 'eeny meeny' it was never ever implied in any derogatory fashion. Is it '******' that is so derogatory? What if the person that first penned the word had called coloured folk .. 'Petal or Rosebud' would that still be as bad? Should I be Pizzed off if someone described me as 'Caucasian'? What if the word to describe us pale people had been '******' would I have been any less happy than being called a 'Caucasian'? IMO it's a WORD, it's not derogatory, as would be to call someone ugly or a monkey is it ? I'm getting on a bit and concerned the world in many ways is going backward. How strange that I daren't even smile at a kid today in case someone thinks I'm a pervert.... oh well. ???

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I heard about the island monkey thing a few years ago from a mate who lives over there. Absolutely love the idea of being referred to as an island monkey for some reason, think it sums is up well. Went round chanting it in German when very pissed over there. Wouldn't appreciate being referred to as a chink if I was Chinese though.

I once told a certain goalkeeper to "F Off" in Dutch at Griffin Park, seemed to help as he let in a goal.. where is he now Kuipers?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It's all gone cuckoo, the Worlds gone daft..I hear and see more people referring to the N-word than I ever did the actual word itself. Hence I am more aware than less of any racial awareness. I think it's all a load of nonsense. I'm not in the slightest racist, I used to, as a child sing 'eeny meeny' it was never ever implied in any derogatory fashion. Is it '******' that is so derogatory? What if the person that first penned the word had called coloured folk .. 'Petal or Rosebud' would that still be as bad? Should I be Pizzed off if someone described me as 'Caucasian'? What if the word to describe us pale people had been '******' would I have been any less happy than being called a 'Caucasian'? IMO it's a WORD, it's not derogatory, as would be to call someone ugly or a monkey is it ? I'm getting on a bit and concerned the world in many ways is going backward. How strange that I daren't even smile at a kid today in case someone thinks I'm a pervert.... oh well. ???

Someone in the USA whose surname was "GAY" got fed up with being insulted and shot at least one homosexual dead. Don't know anyone whose given names include the "N" word other than the dog in "The Dambusters"...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here