NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
And a snippet from the central pages. . . . . Ahead of its time? IMG_0229.JPG

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I still have that map which I got in the 1970s. The 15p should make it post 1971 but this isn't always the case, as the the map may be older than the cover it is in, all Barnett's maps fold out from a cover which is glued onto one end. However, looking at the map itself, the inner arm of the Marina is completed which does post date 1971, as does the non-existance of the Kemp Town railway branch which was dismantled in the same year. Russell Street is still marked which means the Brighton Centre hadn't been started and that was built between 1975-76. Also the schools are still the pre 1975 designations: Varndean Boys and Girls; BHASVIC is a Grammar School; Blatchington Mill and Hove Park upper school are separate boys and girls schools. But then to confuse matters Brighton Locomotive Works are still marked as such and they were demolished in 1966 having closed in the late 1950s.

My rough estimate is post 1971 and pre 1975 and if I was to guess a particular year I'd probably plump for 1974.

Great analysis. It has to be pre-1973 as the Xavarian College area had new developments and a couple of drives by then.

Your point on covers shoves a spanner though. It could even be late 60s for that reason.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I spend much of my life looking at old maps - so this is fascinating. Love the way we've gone about this.

Just be careful though, as sometimes things are shown that have disappeared, as not all maps were resurveyed; and some maps were partly resurveyed so bits were updated in some areas but not others. And on the other hand, my local 1843 OS 6" map shows the railway which wasn't actually built until later - but was planned for some time. I can also recall one place where a canal or railway was shown, but it never actually got built!

Here's another Barnett map, presumably slightly earlier as it's 12 and a half pence.

Capture.JPG

Here's one costing two shillings https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRIGHTON-HOVE-Official-Street-Plan-c1960-by-Barnett/352487755049?hash=item5211e84d29:g:5FgAAOSwflBbxggr

However, if you really are keen to know the precise date - get in touch with GI Barnett and Son themselves! http://www.barnettmaps.com/contactus/?section=7 It says on their website that their mapping is derived from the OS rather than Bartholomews. Although, in the early days, Bartholomews were taken to court by the OS for plagiarising their data so it all comes from the same place really!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but may be of interest to those who love maps.

The National Library of Scotland has published online the 6 inch to the mile OS maps for Great Britain for the period approximately 1840 to 1950

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=10&lat=50.9439&lon=-0.3611&layers=102&b=1&point=50.8456,-0.1970
Excellent, from that we we can see the Goldstone in 1909
Screenshot_20190911-215159.png

Great analysis.
Nonsense, Theatre of Trees puts Brighton Marina as post mod era but it can clearly be seen in the background in Quadrophenia :)

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Excellent, from that we we can see the Goldstone in 1909
View attachment 115160

Nonsense, Theatre of Trees puts Brighton Marina as post mod era but it can clearly be seen in the background in Quadrophenia :)

As can a few 1970s buses in North Street.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I still have that map which I got in the 1970s. The 15p should make it post 1971 but this isn't always the case, as the the map may be older than the cover it is in, all Barnett's maps fold out from a cover which is glued onto one end. However, looking at the map itself, the inner arm of the Marina is completed which does post date 1971, as does the non-existance of the Kemp Town railway branch which was dismantled in the same year. Russell Street is still marked which means the Brighton Centre hadn't been started and that was built between 1975-76. Also the schools are still the pre 1975 designations: Varndean Boys and Girls; BHASVIC is a Grammar School; Blatchington Mill and Hove Park upper school are separate boys and girls schools. But then to confuse matters Brighton Locomotive Works are still marked as such and they were demolished in 1966 having closed in the late 1950s.

My rough estimate is post 1971 and pre 1975 and if I was to guess a particular year I'd probably plump for 1974.

It says Hove County school for Girls rather than Hove County Grammar school. I've tried to find a date for when the 'Grammar' part was dropped and the nearest I can get is a guess at 1975 when the High School became BHASVIC.

Great analysis. It has to be pre-1973 as the Xavarian College area had new developments and a couple of drives by then.

Your point on covers shoves a spanner though. It could even be late 60s for that reason.

It is post decimalisation which was 71.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It says Hove County school for Girls rather than Hove County Grammar school. I've tried to find a date for when the 'Grammar' part was dropped and the nearest I can get is a guess at 1975 when the High School became BHASVIC.

It is post decimalisation which was 71.

The price is post decimalisation but the original map may not be. The drive I live on in Queen's Park is not shown in any way and it appears in directories as early as 1970.

The Xavarian area was developed by 1972. So it's before then.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The price is post decimalisation but the original map may not be. The drive I live on in Queen's Park is not shown in any way and it appears in directories as early as 1970.

But it was still a Grammar school in 1970, not a County school for Girls.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But it was still a Grammar school in 1970, not a County school for Girls.

It may be lazy marking. Perhaps it has been copied over. There are clearly discrepancies there.

If that is post 1972 it's missing a large Queen's Park development.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
15p. Blimey. Must be 80s at that price.

I was going to say late 1960's, early 1970's. 15p for a map book is a price for the time I was an adolescent. Of course some would say I haven't changed at all since the early 1970's except for learning what Dick Me Down Shorts are in the clothing world.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
It may be lazy marking. Perhaps it has been copied over. There are clearly discrepancies there.

If that is post 1972 it's missing a large Queen's Park development.

In all likelihood the map has been amended at different times the big discrepency is the Locomotive Works which is still marked next to Brighton Station. That was closed in 1957 and demolished in 1966. Yet the Kemp Town line is not marked, that was closed and pulled up in 1971. In that case it has definitely been edited after that date, it won't be any earlier. One of the breakwaters of the Marina is marked which matches the images here: https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/placesea/brighton_marina/brighton_marina and those pictures are dated June 1973 which looks like the latest amendment of the map. These amendments are not uniform as noted by the existence of the Xaverian College which was demolished in 1972.

Therefore I would say that the earliest this map appeared would be late 1973 and would definitely be available by 1974 and no later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here