Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sir Geoffrey Boycott

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I was in Greece on hols. recently and sat next to a few middle-aged/old Yorkshire people at a restaurant. The topic of conversation
inevitably turned to footie. All was going well until we had left the table and heard: "don't go anywhere near the
gay hotel". Summed up the typical attitude of many in certain parts of the country (Yorkshire included) - backward, narrow-minded and
crass.

You can tell a Yorkshire Man, but can’t tell him anything....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bollocks was he using it as a term of affection. He was being utterly patronising. "Now look love, you silly woman, let me tell thee ow' it is". You could practically hear him rolling his eyes in the interview.

When you're being interviewed, you don't call the woman "love". Its a way of talking down to someone, or "mansplaining". He uses it to belittle, because he's GEOFF BOYCOTT, and you're just some bird with a mic. The bloke is insufferable.

Classic Partridge.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
2015 and yet he still wasn't knighted. I don't believe the other women who said he was a gentleman. No other names nor direct quotes.

One of them was former girlfriend and local Worthing legend, Shirley Western lead singer of the Shirley Western Showband.

In all seriousness I think a few people are being a little bit harsh on Sir Geoffrey, whilst I can't condone any form of domestic violence, everybody makes mistakes, clearly no one is perfect, and if you look down the list of 'Sirs' in this country, both past and present, I'm sure loads of them have done far worse and not been criticised in any way close to what Boycott has in the last 24 hours.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
One of them was former girlfriend and local Worthing legend, Shirley Western lead singer of the Shirley Western Showband.

In all seriousness I think a few people are being a little bit harsh on Sir Geoffrey, whilst I can't condone any form of domestic violence, everybody makes mistakes, clearly no one is perfect, and if you look down the list of 'Sirs' in this country, both past and present, I'm sure loads of them have done far worse and not been criticised in any way close to what Boycott has in the last 24 hours.

Vaguely akin to Milli Vanilli winning the Grammy they desperately didn’t want to win as it exposed them to unwanted scrutiny and their fall from grace, not that’d I’d compare lip syncing to domestic violence of course.

I have just watched the ITV documentary about Gordon Banks. As this country continues to use such outdated ways of recognising achievement how the hell did he not get a knighthood while this mysoginistic embarrassment of a man gets one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Domestic violence is not a mistake, it is a crime.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
As this develops I've getting the feeling that he could end up having it taken away due to a sustained media campaign that seems to be gathering momentum.

Probably please a few people on here, but would it be fair when all said and done?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As this develops I've getting the feeling that he could end up having it taken away due to a sustained media campaign that seems to be gathering momentum.

Probably please a few people on here, but would it be fair when all said and done?

Since when has the honours system been fair?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Personally speaking - yes it would be fair. Would have been far better had he not made the list in the first place, though.

Look at it from an individual point of view. If a guy punched YOUR daughter 20 times in the face, how would you then feel about him being later honoured in such a way? I suspect that you then wouldn't think him being good at sport, would make up for his past 'mistake'.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
But when a certain Mr Stokes comes up for some form of gong/ award will his violent tendencies be conveniently ignored. Can't help thinking this is more about him being a rather stereotypical blunt Yorkshireman!

Anyone care to address my earlier question?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Well it was blocked before when Theresa May nominated him, so I'm not sure what has changed. She appears to have a bit of an obsession with him.

At the end of the day he is an elephant sized knob end whose cricket career ended years ago.

They can put anything at the start of his name, but can't stop everyone else putting a couple of words at the end.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

The thing is he didn’t belt her did he. She was a silly drunken bint who got her own back because of his....... well you know the story. Alleged he hit her twenty times .... yeah right.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I assume you'd be as forgiving if it had been Amy he'd smashed around ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here