Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

False Widow in da house

albionite

May 20, 2009
Never seen one before apart from in photos but Found 2 of these in my house recently. The female one is a little larger than I imagined it to be.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Had a nasty spider bite a couple of weeks back, knee swelled right up. Might have been one of these pricks.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Had them in our garden for ages. They are non aggressive and if they bite you, it is only a little nip. Please stop reading the daily mail.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
A woman I work with had a 3ft grass snake in her house a couple of weeks back. :eek:

I unbeknown to me had one in my car for a couple of weeks. I rescued it caught in the net over my garden pond, put it in a carrier bag to take it to a rural location, and it escaped in transit and disappeared up behind the glovebox. I searched the car for ages without success and assumed it had made it's escape from the engine area. About two weeks later walking past my car I saw the cheeky bugger sunbathing on the back seat. Christ knows what it had lived on. Anyway happy ending I caught it again and it now lives in Abbots Wood :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've been bitten about half a dozen times by them, first time was quite odd and my arm was quite ****ed up for a few weeks. We ended up taking some samples up to the Booth Museum where the bloke told me to start with that there were definitely NO false widows in newhaven at all, until he saw that 6 out of the 8 we'd collected were in fact false widows.

There are definitely false widows in Newhaven. My neighbour is a gardener and got bitten on the face whilst pruning in someone's garden. He had a huge lump on his cheekbone, and had to be treated at the hospital.

Had them in our garden for ages. They are non aggressive and if they bite you, it is only a little nip. Please stop reading the daily mail.

So the throbbing red lump 4 inches across in the middle of my back was caused by reading the daily mail?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I am sure there is one living in the wormery but so far has done no harm ,obviously loves the dark and retreats to his/her web when I open up the lid to feed the worms
he /she could of coarse be living on the worm eggs
still Stephen has as I said done no harm yet so I will leave well alone

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just despatched one of these.

IMG_20140810_130016.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I knew nothing of these creatures until this thread. Now blessed ignorance has given way to regular toilet seat inspections. Splendid.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
These blighters are everywhere, in the garden, under my wing mirrors, in da house and some tiny ones too which lead me to think that they breed.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
These blighters are everywhere, in the garden, under my wing mirrors, in da house and some tiny ones too which lead me to think that they breed.

They do. Mrs found hundreds of the little buggers hatching in the shed ages ago. Aerosol brake cleaner + lighter soon removed the problem :angel:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
e8d6aa55414378d43dd360d9986bcd5c.jpg

My house is infested with these ****ers.

Starting to get me down.

Just had one crawling on my arm - I’ve still not had the bee sting like bite but my time is coming soon I fear.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
God help you if you ever go to Australia :laugh: "Britain's most venomous spider" and it's no worse than a wasp sting..

When I was in St Richard's for over six weeks, with sepsis, a few years back there was a constant flow of people that had been bitten by these blighters, trust me it's not just a wasp sting for all, some faced far worse outcomes.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Clearly you haven’t been bitten on the knob by one.

pompeydel

May 27, 2004
West Sussex
Woke up the other night with one of these crawling up my back :eek:. We've got loads of them both in the garden and the house :annoyed:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I was bitten on the hand by one a couple of months ago. Left two little puncture holes. The first thing I felt was the area became extremely itchy, then a painful lump developed, which lasted a month. Even today I can see the puncture marks. I have been stung by bees, wasps and, last year a hornet; this thing was in a different league [emoji107]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here