Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Back to the Moon by 2024

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Unless I’m missing something it’s pointless isn’t it?

I am interested in space travel, fascinating but I can’t really see the justification for this. Resources would be better spent on cleaning up the environment. Trump is not interested in such matters though.

I also find the conspiracy theories about not having landed on the moon quite interesting. Fanciful nonsense, but interesting.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Unless I’m missing something it’s pointless isn’t it?

I am interested in space travel, fascinating but I can’t really see the justification for this. Resources would be better spent on cleaning up the environment. Trump is not interested in such matters though.

Pointless? If you’re prepared to agree that climbing mountains, exploring deep sea locations, and any form of competitive sport (including football) is pointless, then we can have a debate about it. Humans have always looked over the horizon and tried to get there - it’s what we do.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We should be going balls out for Mars.

Absolutely. I see a return trip to the moon as a (hopefully rapid and short-lived) stepping stone.

I haven’t yet given up hope of seeing definitive proof that life once lived on Mars in my lifetime. Getting people there to scrabble around in the dust and turn rocks over is the best chance of doing that. Hell, it’s even possible that we might discover bacteria still living a metre or so down. And slow worms under the rocks of course.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
So you can see actual film of Nasa and Obama saying that humans and equipment cant pass the radiation belt but you believe we managed it in 1969 to go the moon?

You can see the ISS with the naked eye? Utter rubbish!

Only one person spouting rubbish here and it isn’t me!

Download the ISS spotter app and, assuming that you are allowed outside, wait for it to pass the UK when it’s dark and go and watch it pass over.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Only one person spouting rubbish here and it isn’t me!

Download the ISS spotter app and, assuming that you are allowed outside, wait for it to pass the UK when it’s dark and go and watch it pass over.

Okey doke. You are now arguing against factual science that an object the size of the ISS CANNOT be seen at that distance with the naked eye. But if an app told you so....

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
So you can see actual film of Nasa and Obama saying that humans and equipment cant pass the radiation belt but you believe we managed it in 1969 to go the moon?

You can see the ISS with the naked eye? Utter rubbish!

Oh. In that case I’ve seen a UFO.

About 5 years ago I was standing in my garden looking at the sunset when I saw something very big, but far away moving fast on a North South trajectory. It was non reflective and looked like it was round...I’m initially convinced it’s a UFO but then I started looking at it rationally...checked the ISS website and saw that the station was over UK evening so put it down to that.

Now I’ve watched that I’m not sure WTF it was.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly it seems to have been shunned on the Podcast thread, but those of you interested in weird, fun & fanciful ought to be listening to:-

The Cryptid Factor.

https://soundcloud.com/the-cryptid-factor

Rhys Darby, Dan Schreiber, David Farrier and 'Buttons' bring you The Cryptid Factor - a show dedicated to the weird and the wonderful, and in particular, Cryptozoology.

It's incredibly funny with occasional moments of them trying to be serious, but that doesn't last for long.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Okey doke. You are now arguing against factual science that an object the size of the ISS CANNOT be seen at that distance with the naked eye. But if an app told you so....

Hang on, you said earlier that what people think is the ISS is apparently "a low flying satellite", but now you're saying that something the size of the ISS can't be seen with naked eye.

Given that satellites are considerably smaller than the ISS, which is it?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Hang on, you said earlier that what people think is the ISS is apparently "a low flying satellite", but now you're saying that something the size of the ISS can't be seen with naked eye.

Given that satellites are considerably smaller than the ISS, which is it?

There is no arguing with Tin Hatters once they have convinced themselves of something.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood

Yeah, the clue here is "when it's dark", although it can actually be seen during the day in the right conditions. Because of its size the ISS reflects quite a lot of sunlight, hence it looks like a fast-moving star. Seen it many times. Can be quite good on Christmas Eve convincing the kids that it's Santa.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
That video talks about seeing the spacestation during the day.

I can see why that’d be hard, surely we are talking about seeing it at night?

As for the return to mars, it’s not going to be cheap so there must be more to it than willy waving.

My guess based on absolutely nothing is they want to test some tech for either a longer trip to Mars or somewhere or to identify if a settlement can be made on the moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pointless? If you’re prepared to agree that climbing mountains, exploring deep sea locations, and any form of competitive sport (including football) is pointless, then we can have a debate about it. Humans have always looked over the horizon and tried to get there - it’s what we do.

Yep, you make a fair point. I suppose it’s one of those things where I hold both opinions at once. I love the idea of exploration, it’s a human compulsion and simultaneously I find it a bit irrelevant when we have so many global problems facing us . But yes, a good point.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yep, you make a fair point. I suppose it’s one of those things where I hold both opinions at once. I love the idea of exploration, it’s a human compulsion and simultaneously I find it a bit irrelevant when we have so many global problems facing us . But yes, a good point.

As do you. Environmental issues could possibly make us extinct in the long term - that’s pretty serious! I dont see them as mutually exclusive is what I guess I’m saying. I’d rather see tax avoidance/evasion eradicated, and the billions thus raised spent on both issues.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sadly it seems to have been shunned on the Podcast thread, but those of you interested in weird, fun & fanciful ought to be listening to:-

The Cryptid Factor.

https://soundcloud.com/the-cryptid-factor

Rhys Darby, Dan Schreiber, David Farrier and 'Buttons' bring you The Cryptid Factor - a show dedicated to the weird and the wonderful, and in particular, Cryptozoology.

It's incredibly funny with occasional moments of them trying to be serious, but that doesn't last for long.

Dan Schrieber, not Dan Schreiber!?

Oh sorry, wrong thread, and wrong David Schneider.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For anyone looking for an absolutely engaging novel based on the ISS, and perhaps why we look to establish off world colonies, I can thoroughly recommend Neal Stephenson's Seveneves.

A brilliant sotry that really digs deep into the technical operating of the ISS, as well as a great plot, set of characters and flowing narrative.

41cNn3%2BRO7L.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here