Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion have issued lifetime bans to [three] supporters...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here lies the problem with the article.

Three of us have read the same thing and came to three completely different conclusions. This is why I’ve pointed out that there’s a chance the club had overreacted to that one incident. The statement is so vague that it’s impossible to know what happened.

I thought it was pretty clear.......

3 separate incidents (with more being investigated)
3 season ticket holders involved, all have (deserved) life bans
Doc was attending to the injured (assaulted) steward when she was assaulted/abused

No doubt most if not all of it will be neatly captured on CCTV for plod to use, and sounds like there are loads of witnesses anyway.

Agree with [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] though - Barber's tone implies we get loads of this when in fact there's very little.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's great that the club have acted so quickly.
Taking a leaf out of palace's book after that night...

...oh.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I thought it was pretty clear.......

3 separate incidents (with more being investigated)
3 season ticket holders involved, all have (deserved) life bans
Doc was attending to the injured (assaulted) steward when she was assaulted/abused

No doubt most if not all of it will be neatly captured on CCTV for plod to use, and sounds like there are loads of witnesses anyway.

Agree with [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] though - Barber's tone implies we get loads of this when in fact there's very little.
Barber does tend to word things like a disappointed headmaster.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Sounds deserved.

I think the club have reported it well after all the whinging on here for example about the tone and all being labelled unfairly.

They have made it clear that it was three idiots, they know most fans are well behaved and respectful of away fans etc.

10/10 for the club here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Based on the 30k attendance, the 3 individuals represent 0.01% of those present.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Just shows what utter scum clubs like Palace & Millwall are as they continue to let their fans get away with things like that. I'm happy that our club take a zero tolerance approach to violence.

Last edited:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Sounds like the club have got it right and I share PB's exasperation that the good name of the club has been tarnished by these gits.

Look forward to the court case reports when hopefully we'll get a fuller version of events – and these brave lads' names.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I agree this does sound more seriously but it’s just an example of how these stories can grow out of control and we end up hearing something 100 times worse than what actually happened. If the club feel they have enough evidence then I’m sure they’re in the right here, but there’s just that nagging voice in the back of my head saying we have no idea what’s actually happened.

“A man in his 20’s has had his season ticket cancelled for spitting at a doctor who was treating him””
“A man in his 50’d has had his season ticket cancelled for pushing a doctor who was treating him”

There’s such a world of difference. If this incident occurred in a CCTV blind spot then all of a sudden there’s a whole other level of problems on top of that.

They cant go into detail or it could predudice any court case which is why for now it is just referrred to as abuse and assault.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Brighton & Hove Albion have issued lifetime bans to supporters involved in serious disorder at last weekend’s match against West Bromwich Albion in the FA Cup.

Sussex Police, working closely with Albion’s safety and stewarding team, will also be investigating and seeking to prosecute the three individuals, who are all Albion season-ticket holders.

Their season-tickets have been cancelled with immediate effect, without refund, and life bans issued after three separate and very serious incidents: assault on a female crowd doctor; assault on a club steward and threats to stab; and assault on a visiting supporter.

Additionally, the club are also investigating a number of other incidents from Saturday’s match, and expect these to result in further significant exclusions and possible criminal proceedings.

Chief executive Paul Barber said, “Once again we find ourselves dealing with a number of issues we do not want at this club. Firstly a small group of so-called supporters initiated a very cowardly attack on unsuspecting West Bromwich Albion supporters as they made their way along Station Approach.

“Another individual assaulted a steward and then threatened to stab him in full view of other fans including several children. Just as shockingly, another chose to assault and abuse a female crowd doctor, while she was tending to him.

“Our warnings may occasionally offend some people who wouldn’t dream of behaving in this way, but I can assure you it’s nowhere near the offence caused to us when our colleagues or our visitors are assaulted.

“We know it’s a tiny minority of people that engage in this kind of serious disorder. We also know that the overwhelming majority of fans come to our games to enjoy a day out at the football with family and friends, and, like us, don’t want these people anywhere near our club.

“For our part, we are sick and tired of issuing warnings. All three incidents are now being investigated by Sussex Police, and we will fully support any criminal prosecutions they may bring.

“In the meantime, and with very clear evidence of the behaviour described, all of the fans involved – several of whom are season ticket holders, aged in their 20s to 50s - will receive lifetime bans.

“Any individual who still thinks that they can behave in a violent or anti-social way, just because they are inside a football stadium, either needs to think again or stay away from our matches. We will continue to take a zero tolerance approach as we do not want these type of individuals associated with Brighton & Hove Albion, or with our sport, in any way.”

The mind boggles to think we have retards who have a low esteem for the club.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
There will always be a few turds at any club and it's sad to hear of these events last week. Well done to the club in kicking them out for life.

Can't believe though that the age range of those involved went up to someone in their 50's? Surely they should be more mature than to do something so stupid at that age?

You couldn't make it up. This behaviour is pathetic from anyone, but someone in their 50's - good grief!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If it had only happened once before in the past 118 years then this to me is "Once again...", the wording doesn't imply a weekly occurance.

It at least implies a recent previous incident, and to my ear it suggests a level of frequency. Two phrases, "once again" and "a number of issues" is suggestive of it not being unusual to see trouble.
In any case, I am not picking apart his grammatical use of the phrase, just the impression it gives, to at least me, and probably others, if not you.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Do you ever buy programmes? Barber frequenly covers issues of unacceptable behaviour. (Far more serious than non-wise cracks about flasks and lids .... people getting attacked).

No I don't, one of the reasons was his tiresome articles. I'm sure he has warned of unacceptable behaviour in his program notes but the quote used in my post made reference to warnings that offend people. The offence and the reaction that offence generated was related to flasks and bottle tops - I'm not aware of any other reaction to warnings but of course there may have been. My interpretation (and yes there will be other interpretations) is that this is yet another example of true to form Paul using a completely different type of incident to 'prove' how right he was all along with his warnings and threats concerning use of flasks and concealment of bottle tops, which was of course utterly ridiculous and unnecessary.

Bloody vegans

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Barber does tend to word things like a disappointed headmaster.

BBC have picked up the story now.

Total bellends deservedly banned and hopefully prosecuted.

But unfortunately, again, the tone of the announcements make the Amex seem like some sort of hooligans paradise, which it obviously is not.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No I don't, one of the reasons was his tiresome articles. I'm sure he has warned of unacceptable behaviour in his program notes but the quote used in my post made reference to warnings that offend people. The offence and the reaction that offence generated was related to flasks and bottle tops - I'm not aware of any other reaction to warnings but of course there may have been. My interpretation (and yes there will be other interpretations) is that this is yet another example of true to form Paul using a completely different type of incident to 'prove' how right he was all along with his warnings and threats concerning use of flasks and concealment of bottle tops, which was of course utterly ridiculous and unnecessary.

Bloody vegans

Well he warned about unnacceptable stuff far removed from flasks/bottle tops.

No doubt with the Board acting in concert every time, although the small number of fans who don’t warm to PB will always deem it to be “BARBER”.

el punal

The mind boggles to think we have retards who have a low esteem for the club.

Yes, especially as they’ve been identified as season ticket holders and not “turn up for one game merchants”. Bet they regret having that extra pre-match pint now. The expression “Don’t shit on your own doorstep” rings true here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here