Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
So we're going to become a Chelsea, amass a load of youth players to go out on loan with no intention of playing for the first team, in the hope we might make some money?

It will say a lot for our academy if we end up making more for Youth Players that have never been to Lancing, than those that do

I think the idea is that we will make money as the club who loans the player normally pays the wages and in many cases also a loan fee. Basically the idea is that the player actually costs you nothing as you recoup all your costs. On top of that if you do get the odd gem then you also make a massive amount by playing him and then selling him or just selling him off immediately. Juventus have made a fortune at that game and I seem to recall they have about 50 odd, or something silly, out on loan each season

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As long as it's done above board, I see nothing ethically wrong with it. Any team with a decent Academy system is essentially trying to churn out players that they can make a profit on, given so few of them actually make the 1st team squad for the club they grow up with.

But yes - it's a risky proposition to buy on the hope that you can sell on at profit having never seen them play for the club. To be honest, though, I don't think that's the Plan A. It's the back-up Plan B. Plan A is getting the permits sorted and bringing them into the Prem. In Tau's case, I would hope to see him loaned to a top-tier league club next season where he can hopefully show enough that we can get an exception through.

Not sure where we stand with MacAllister, but from some posts I've seen it's possible we might already have an answer to the permit issue. Just waiting to see if that gets confirmed.

All very honourable.

But seriously, what is the point in paying sizeable fees for players when we don't know if they can play for us? I'd like to see the season ticket money I pay every year at least go towards buying players I can actually watch.

Absolutely ridiculous.....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think the idea is that we will make money as the club who loans the player normally pays the wages and in many cases also a loan fee. Basically the idea is that the player actually costs you nothing as you recoup all your costs. On top of that if you do get the odd gem then you also make a massive amount by playing him and then selling him or just selling him off immediately. Juventus have made a fortune at that game and I seem to recall they have about 50 odd, or something silly, out on loan each season

But we made £8M / $10M for Alexis. Are we really making back that fee over the term of his contract? How many clubs in South America can afford that amount of money if we were to sell him to make a profit as has been alluded

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All very honourable.

But seriously, what is the point in paying sizeable fees for players when we don't know if they can play for us? I'd like to see the season ticket money I pay every year at least go towards buying players I can actually watch.

Absolutely ridiculous.....

IF these players are ultimately sold on at a profit, then by definition, you season ticket money isn't paying for them!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But we made £8M / $10M for Alexis. Are we really making back that fee over the term of his contract? How many clubs in South America can afford that amount of money if we were to sell him to make a profit as has been alluded

I fancy that if the buyer knows the player can't play for the seller then the Albion will get a bad deal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It seems like many postaers want the world's 19th (?) Richest club to be run exactly the same as when it was living hand to mouth in a run down athletics 'stadium'.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
IF these players are ultimately sold on at a profit, then by definition, you season ticket money isn't paying for them!
And the first cash could roll in if the agreed deal goes through to 'flip' Ales Mateju for a £2million+ profit.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
TBF your season ticket money pays for the square root of fook all. It's the TV money that pays for these excesses

And these excesses are authorised -- and probably authored -- by one Anthony Bloom who, under his 'stewardship' of the club, is running it to make it as successful as he can. I gather that he's put a little bit more money into the club than [MENTION=24109]Lower West Stander[/MENTION] and his (admittedly expensive) season ticket.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
UPDATE:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tato_Aguilera/status/1138435684702834689
Boca Juniors in advanced negotiations with us for him as per this journalist with 450k followers

http://sportwitness.co.uk/three-clubs-want-brighton-player-loan-strange-situation-seagulls/
This article, published in the last 10 mins, claims the length of the loan spell indicated how confident we are about a work permit. This source below says it's for 1 year, which implies we're not confident about a permit: https://mobile.twitter.com/BocaJuniors_GO/status/1138453924019679234
The article also says we will give Boca a response by this weekend, and that a deal with Boca would include an option to buy, surely implying that if we're in advanced negotiations with Boca already, there's no chance of him getting a permit
Whether you believe that or not is a different matter, but multiple sources reporting now that Boca are close to agreeing a deal, so we'll know soon.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
And these excesses are authorised -- and probably authored -- by one Anthony Bloom who, under his 'stewardship' of the club, is running it to make it as successful as he can. I gather that he's put a little bit more money into the club than [MENTION=24109]Lower West Stander[/MENTION] and his (admittedly expensive) season ticket.

Indeed.

There really is an inordinate amount of total nonsense on this thread. People getting their knickers in a twist over a couple of signings which may or may not be successful but which mean the square route of **** all in the grand scheme of things.

If either of them eventually play for us, good.

If we make a bit of money on them instead, good.

If we end up selling and losing a bit of money on them, meh.

It's really not worth the mouth frothing of some posters on here!

Oh and for the "I want the money spent on the first team" crew, a few million quid here or there for transfer fees will not make any significant difference. The significant difference would be ripping up our wage structure as that, not fees, will be the major factor in whether we can afford to sign certain players or not.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I was making a general point about how many clubs make money out of the loan system and how we might take that path

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not expected to get an EU passport for at least a year according to the online Argus. Shame we have now signed two promising sounding players who can’t even play for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here