Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Wants to prove fellow Albion fans wrong, when it’s confirmed one day by whoever decides these things, that:

a) Duffy was an awful footballer and defender; and that

b) Webster ended up being a footballing God.

what odds for 2 complete role reversals?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Wants to prove fellow Albion fans wrong, when it’s confirmed one day by whoever decides these things, that:

a) Duffy was an awful footballer and defender; and that

b) Webster ended up being a footballing God.

No. I just think it might help you to learn to stop the scapegoating you all seem to be uniting in right now. How else are you lot going to learn? Barnes clearly hasn't taught you much has he?

Didn't Webster receive constant criticism from some of our fans last night? Coincidence that it's now going on NSC with you all thumbing up each others criticism of him even when it's bullshit like "Barnes and wood were never criticised by our fans how is that related to Webster?" ?

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
No. I just think it might help you to learn to stop the scapegoating you all seem to be uniting in right now. How else are you lot going to learn? Barnes clearly hasn't taught you much has he?

Didn't Webster receive constant criticism from some of our fans last night? Coincidence that it's now going on NSC with you all thumbing up each others criticism of him even when it's bullshit like "Barnes and wood were never criticised by our fans how is that related to Webster?" ?

I think you'll find its more than just last night he was criticised. But clearly we dont know what we see or know anything about football, defending, passing to our own player, stopping oppsition scoring at corners and all ther other ways Webster is less effective as a defender than Duffy because we only have half a brain. :wanker:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think you'll find its more than just last night he was criticised. But clearly we dont know what we see or know anything about football, defending, passing to our own player, stopping oppsition scoring at corners and all ther other ways Webster is less effective as a defender than Duffy because we only have half a brain. :wanker:

I love how since Webster has cemented his place in the back line Duffy has suddenly become world class whilst sitting on the bench not playing.
Let's forget that last 2 seasons when we were playing Duffy at the back we lost 4-0 and 5-1 to liverpool, 4-0 to chelsea, conceded 3 against Palace (we lost 3-2) lost 5-0 against Bournemouth and lost 4-1 to Man City. Can you imagine the reaction had Webster been playing with that amount goals being conceded?

It couldn't be more obvious that you've all found your new scapegoat in Webster by pretending we were so much better when we had Duffy defending instead of Webster. WTF is the matter with you lot? I hope you're not now going to be in hope he plays badly so you can continue this deluded bullshit that Webster's a completely useless defender when he clearly isn't.

What's gong on is he makes one mistake and then that's it, everything else he does then goes completely unnoticed. He simply can't win now can he? Just like Barnes. Someone even compared him to Colin bloody Hawkins. I don't give a toss how many of you want to carry on this constant bullshit criticism/scapegoating of Webster by pretending Duffy is miles better than him. The stats don't lie, we got smashed a fair few times by teams including Bournemouth when Duffy was defending, Webster has been far far better.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I love how since Webster has cemented his place in the back line Duffy has suddenly become world class whilst sitting on the bench not playing.
Let's forget that last season when we were playing Duffy at the back we lost 4-0 and 5-1 to liverpool, 4-0 to chelsea, conceded 3 against Palace (we lost 3-2) and lost 5-0 against Bournemouth. Can you imagine the reaction had Webster been playing with that amount goals being conceded?

It couldn't be more obvious that you've all found your new scapegoat in Webster by pretending we were so much better when we had Duffy defending instead of Webster. WTF is the matter with you lot? I hope you're not now going to be in hope he plays badly so you can continue this deluded bullshit that Webster's a completely useless defender when he clearly isn't.

What's gong on is he makes one mistake and then that's it, everything else he does then goes completely unnoticed. He simply can't win now can he? Just like Barnes. Someone even compared him to Colin bloody Hawkins. I don't give a toss how many of you want to carry on this constant bullshit criticism/scapegoating of Webster by pretending Duffy is miles better than him. The stats don't lie, we got smashed a fair few times by teams including Bournemouth when Duffy was defending, Webster has been far far better.

I wouldn’t want to let the truth get in the way of a good story, but last season we lost 1-0 to Liverpool in both games and beat Palace home and away. You’re thinking of the season before last. Doesn’t time fly?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I wouldn’t want to let the truth get in the way of a good story, but last season we lost 1-0 to Liverpool in both games and beat Palace home and away. You’re thinking of the season before last. Doesn’t time fly?

It's been corrected. But you carry on and ignore the facts. We don't want to start seeing the positives in Webster do we?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Duffy is an excellent defender but very limited overall. Are people forgetting his mistakes last season (when he was magnificent too)? Webster is a similarly 'good' player overall but with a lot more potential I think. Totally get why people are focused on the now not the future and on pure defending instead of overall play. Webster has also done what Duffy was meant to and scored some goals.

I expect White will come back and completely change this anyway as in August it will be him and Dunk, with Webster on the bench I expect. Duffy probably not the type to be back up for more than a season. Imagine he'll move on in the summer but we do need him NOW and do need to cash in on him while people remember how good he is. Perhaps that's the problem. We're getting offers but nowhere near what he should be worth as everyone know's we're open to moving him on for style reasons.

I would keep him to the summer due to lack of defenders here now, but would certainly consider moving him on in the summer, however good he is as others behind him look like they will be better with game time.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Yep GPott clearly doesn't rate Duffy as a footballer.

It's just a shame he also happens to be one of the worlds best defenders.

Give it a rest. If that were true he’d have been taken 2 seasons ago.

Good defender? Yes
One of the best in the world in that position? No

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
why don’t we put Dunk and Duffy at the back and Webster up as the tall target man centre forward?

It worked with Adam Virgo. Seeing as the midfield lacks creativity, get the ball forward often and early, preferably in the air and onto Websters head. We can call it Potterball Mk11. The fancy teams will be caught cold.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Duffy to WHU just gives them a better chance of survival and in turn weakens our chances with any injuries or suspensions to the CBs. Absolute madness imo and I really do hope it’s bollocks.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Duffy to WHU just gives them a better chance of survival and in turn weakens our chances with any injuries or suspensions to the CBs. Absolute madness imo and I really do hope it’s bollocks.
Don't worry it is bollocks. Seagull wedgee has a lonnnnnng list of nonsense rumours. In fact not one of his rumours has ever come true.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Give it a rest. If that were true he’d have been taken 2 seasons ago.

Good defender? Yes
One of the best in the world in that position? No

That's not what I wrote.

Who are you saying is better than Shane at stopping the ball from going in the goal?

I'm taking Shane over all over Albion players.
I'm taking him over all the England centre backs.
I'm also taking him over all 'top 6' centre backs with the exception of VVD.

Unfortunately, for Shane, I'm not taking him over any of those players if asked to pick footballers.
Defending the goal from a corner, feee-kick, a larrup from 20 yards, etc yes.

Consistent accurate passing, bringing the ball out of defense, legally stopping the tricky forward before the shooting opportunity, no.

Do you now understand or do you believe the likes of Harry Maguire are better at defending the goal than Shane?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's been corrected. But you carry on and ignore the facts. We don't want to start seeing the positives in Webster do we?

I think we might see the best of Webster if he plays on the left of a back 3 with Dunk in the centre and White on the right. We’ll find out in Feb I should imagine.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Good read , though you’d with we were leaving franz beckenbauer on the bench looking at some of the comments .

Wasn’t he in the back 4 when we shipped 3 at home to Burnley , 5 to Muff and 2 to Cardiff last season ?

And with tactics of the whole team defending in front of him ?

He’s a low end Prem defender at best as is Webster . Let’s not pretend he’s something he’s not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Good read , though you’d with we were leaving franz beckenbauer on the bench looking at some of the comments .

Wasn’t he in the back 4 when we shipped 3 at home to Burnley , 5 to Muff and 2 to Cardiff last season ?

And with tactics of the whole team defending in front of him ?

He’s a low end Prem defender at best as is Webster . Let’s not pretend he’s something he’s not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the key thing is when Duffy's playing we don't look like we are going to concede from every bloody cross in the box. Desperately need to get back to basics.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
That's not what I wrote.

Who are you saying is better than Shane at stopping the ball from going in the goal?

I'm taking Shane over all over Albion players.
I'm taking him over all the England centre backs.
I'm also taking him over all 'top 6' centre backs with the exception of VVD.

Unfortunately, for Shane, I'm not taking him over any of those players if asked to pick footballers.
Defending the goal from a corner, feee-kick, a larrup from 20 yards, etc yes.

Consistent accurate passing, bringing the ball out of defense, legally stopping the tricky forward before the shooting opportunity, no.

Do you now understand or do you believe the likes of Harry Maguire are better at defending the goal than Shane?

That’s not what I’m saying and have never said. You may be mistaking me for someone.

I bolded out a sentence which said he was one of the best in the world, that is simply not true. He’s a great defender and someone who I rate quite highly. But you need to come off the meds if you thjnk he’s one of the worlds best centre-backs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here