• In

Votes: 286 53.6%
  • Out

Votes: 248 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
He has got to take large responsibility for that, he is the manager. Otherwise what the hell does he do?

The surrendering of the title, the gradual drip-feed of stories of seeing players out on the piss and the fact that our players seem less fit and lazier than the opposition on the pitch all leads to one conclusion.

He let's them get away with it.

Completely disagree with you. The players knew the format, it had won promotion by a canter, it was great to watch. It is only down to them they didn’t have the icing on the cake, that they didn’t win the league.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It's not knee jerk. It's been coming from a while now.

I'm sure everyone recognises what he's done for us and are not advocating a change now.

End of the season, is a different story.

I agree.
This isn't a knee-jerk at all; more of a fairly long running knee trembler!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What if Hewtown got sacked/resigned tomorrow.
Get the players to win on Tuesday out of guilt/relief.
The reinstate him on Thursday.

Just like Brexit - everybody moves on and forgets it ever happened.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Completely disagree with you. The players knew the format, it had won promotion by a canter, it was great to watch. It is only down to them they didn’t have the icing on the cake, that they didn’t win the league.

So nothing to do with Hughton.

So only the positives have anything to do with Hughton?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
So nothing to do with Hughton.

So only the positives have anything to do with Hughton?

I’ve already said my view, that was down to the players taking their eye off the ball. I think that was fairly obvious, you only needed to see the players post the promo winning game. You then make a rather simple and unrepresentative statement that I see only the positives have anything to do with Hughton. You are wrong. To frame it, we are talking about whether not winning promotion as champions or not as champions was Hughton fault. It wasn’t.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What if Hewtown got sacked/resigned tomorrow.
Get the players to win on Tuesday out of guilt/relief.
The reinstate him on Thursday.

Just like Brexit - everybody moves on and forgets it ever happened.
Has brexit happened?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He has got to take large responsibility for that, he is the manager. Otherwise what the hell does he do?

The surrendering of the title, the gradual drip-feed of stories of seeing players out on the piss and the fact that our players seem less fit and lazier than the opposition on the pitch all leads to one conclusion.

He let's them get away with it.

I was thinking about that in the promotion season earlier in relation to yesterday. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but looking back when Benitez and Newcastle got promoted, they stayed professional and won the Championship, we went on the sauce and didn't. Whether that was lack of discipline, lack of respect or both, it happened to Albion under Chris Hughton, it didn't happen to Rafael Benitez and Newcastle.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I was thinking about that in the promotion season earlier in relation to yesterday. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but looking back when Benitez and Newcastle got promoted, they stayed professional and won the Championship, we went on the sauce and didn't. Whether that was lack of discipline, lack of respect or both, it happened to Albion under Chris Hughton, it didn't happen to Rafael Benitez and Newcastle.

Newcastle are a bigger club with greater finances and the Albion promotion was such a one off.
Come to think of it Palace, Southampton, Bournemouth, Newcastle all have greater financial clout in terms of wages in the Premier League.
We’re competing financially with Burnley only in this league. So Hughton is achieving what he should be achieving.
Yesterday was a one off- but if we lose to Cardiff........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Newcastle are a bigger club with greater finances and the Albion promotion was such a one off.
Come to think of it Palace, Southampton, Bournemouth, Newcastle all have greater financial clout in terms of wages in the Premier League.
We’re competing financially with Burnley only in this league. So Hughton is achieving what he should be achieving.
Yesterday was a one off- but if we lose to Cardiff........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True.

We got auto promoted with the 6th largest Championship budget.

Newcastle were champs with THE largest budget, they kept almost all of their PL squad in tact and added to it in summer 2016. They beat us home and away.

The final league table was fair, no matter how much it still seems to hurt some NSC’ers.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I’ve already said my view, that was down to the players taking their eye off the ball. I think that was fairly obvious, you only needed to see the players post the promo winning game. You then make a rather simple and unrepresentative statement that I see only the positives have anything to do with Hughton. You are wrong. To frame it, we are talking about whether not winning promotion as champions or not as champions was Hughton fault. It wasn’t.

I'm not saying it was Hughton's fault, I'm saying he is partly to blame as are the players.

Ultimately the buck stops with him and I'm sure he knows that.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
True.

We got auto promoted with the 6th largest Championship budget.

Newcastle were champs with THE largest budget, they kept almost all of their PL squad in tact and added to it in summer 2016. They beat us home and away.

The final league table was fair, no matter how much it still seems to hurt some NSC’ers.

Eh?

It's not about whether it was fair or not. The title was ours to win if we kept on playing at the same level until the end of the season.

We didn't.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

It highlights a concern I have - that we set targets and once met stop. That season all we heard was 'it's all about promotion'. There was a sense, if not outright stated, that the title was newcastles from the start of the season, everyone else was playing for second place. We set our minds to promotion got that and put out feet up. Last season we were focused on survival. Got it and didn't seem to put in the same sort of effort v Man City/Liverpool that we did this season, or (at least in the case of Man City) had in the previous meeting that season. Didn't matter if we got pasted 4-0 at Anfield.

I wonder if there was a sense that the bottom three were so far off earlier this season, that a sense of 'job done' crept into the team, playing a part in the January/February winless run, and general poor form since. It's like they're just starting to realise we're not as safe as they had thought.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
logo_mark.png

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Newcastle are a bigger club

Not gonna go down that road, but irrelevant regardless.

with greater finances and

Do you mean then? or now?

The only advantage they have now is that they are permitted to have a larger wage budget than us. We are not allowed to increase our wage bill by more than 7M per season, whereas they (having been relegated and immediately promoted) are allowed to keep increasing from the 'base' of 2012/13 I believe. Our income is actually greater than theirs.

the Albion promotion was such a one off.

How was it a one off? We competed in the playoffs 3 seasons out of 5 before our eventual promotion. We will continue to knock on the door should we go down, and have a greater chance of doing so with parachutes.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It highlights a concern I have - that we set targets and once met stop. That season all we heard was 'it's all about promotion'. There was a sense, if not outright stated, that the title was newcastles from the start of the season, everyone else was playing for second place. We set our minds to promotion got that and put out feet up. Last season we were focused on survival. Got it and didn't seem to put in the same sort of effort v Man City/Liverpool that we did this season, or (at least in the case of Man City) had in the previous meeting that season. Didn't matter if we got pasted 4-0 at Anfield.

I wonder if there was a sense that the bottom three were so far off earlier this season, that a sense of 'job done' crept into the team, playing a part in the January/February winless run, and general poor form since. It's like they're just starting to realise we're not as safe as they had thought.

I can see your point that perhaps the intensity drops and complacency rises on the target issue. To me yesterday they were just not playing for the manager. Again, whether it's a more generalised discipline/respect issue to Hughton that's come to the fore I don't know, but there's been too many incidents and rumours of late nights etc for my liking as already mentioned - think of our 2 games against Huddersfield last season for example - massive for both clubs, but I doubt any Huddersfield players had a late night out prior to their game at The Amex like Knockeart and Bong did when we went up there.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
In. But he is not beyond criticism. The squad is bang average and it’s telling none of the top sides have any interest in our players. Too many of them think they are better than they actually are. The over-praised Dunk Duffy and Ryan axis is part of the problem. They can never string a run of decent performances together and for a long time can’t put a 90 min performance in. Hughton is the best manager we’ve ever had and getting us up and keeping us up last season earns him the right to sort things out in the summer even if we are in the Championship. This whole let’s scapegoat the manager and hope this squad will suddenly be a mid table Premier League team under a new messiah is ridiculous. We are what we are at the moment. Without further investment in the squad we’ll continue to struggle under any manager. What surprises me is that Hughton didn’t revert to last years tactics after Christmas once results went south and replace Gross with Propper in the Nr 10 role and coach Bissouma to play the DCM role alongside Stephens or Kayal.. We needed to grind out results and 4-3-3 plainly doesn’t work with this squad.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
When Chris looked to the bench there really was nothing there - are his teams always negative or is he just making the best of what is available in the much tougher league?

To a degree, yes. But the club make a lot of fact that no player is signed without his blessing so he must take the ultimate blame. I think much of this season's problem has been signings. None of them (except Bernardo & Monotoya) have registered a claim to be an automatic choice because they have not risen to challenge. This gives CH a headache: how do you know what a player can do without playing him, but when you do you wish you hadn't bothered. Last season we had a small squad (practically in terms of pickable players) and were very lucky with injuries. The team picked itself for much of the season. This season there has been a lot of chopping and changing of personnel and formation without the quality of player and/or quality of training to allow for consistency of performance with a range of different lineups.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
A question

If and it’s a very big if, CH is ever shown the door, who will actually do the deed?

Before Ashworth turned up, who did Chris report to directly. Was it TB or Barber out?

And is it now Ashworth?

And if it is Ashworth, as a player, are you trying to impress Hughton or Ashworth?.

Which might just explain the dreadful loss of form/effort/morale.

What is the new hierarchy?

So many questions......

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I can’t believe nearly half are supporting out. I really despair at this board sometimes, some of you need to give your heads a wobble.

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here