Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lineker

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have always regarded Lineker as a smug little turd, living in his smug self-satisfied little world.
I wasn't wrong and I would quite happily force feed him so many fu---ng crisps, he would no longer be able to come up with his 'oh so funny twatty belittling remarks'.:wanker:

The thing I couldn't get my head around was him leaving that french model he was married to because she wanted kids and he didn't. Gary, son, how difficult would it have been? No, you can only come out with shit like that if you have Cliff Richard syndrome:

narcissus.JPG

(Actually he doesn't bother me particularly but I do like a good lynching, especially if there are crisps involved).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No probs, I guess you couldn't handle all those steps :cool:
My nephews summed it up yesterday: "Fecking brilliant" :lolol:

I am a notoriously nervy traveller. We got into the tube station moments before the security held everyone back. Parking in Canons Park was a masterstroke as our jubilee carriage was empty. A great day. On the downside Mrs T will be so disappointed when I drag her off to pretty much any other away game, her having experienced only the comfort of the Amex and Wembley. She'll be so doisappointed with the vegetarian quiche and craft beer at Turf Moor :lolol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wasn't just Linekar. None of the BBC pundits had a single good word to say about us. Very disappointing, given we were excellent against one of the most expensive sides in the world.

Savage was quite disparaging about us to..but then he was crap when he played for us :whistle:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
why anyone actually listens to the pundits is beyond me. I used to look forward to watching MOTD on a Saturday night. Now I record it, then just watch the actual football and fast forward through the interviews and “expert analysis “. Halves the viewing time and trebles the quality.

Good to hear I'm not the only one that does this! Why anyone would want to listen to Shearer's inane comments is beyond me.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The thing I couldn't get my head around was him leaving that french model he was married to because she wanted kids and he didn't. Gary, son, how difficult would it have been? No, you can only come out with shit like that if you have Cliff Richard syndrome:

View attachment 107276

(Actually he doesn't bother me particularly but I do like a good lynching, especially if there are crisps involved).

What we need is a good old showing from the 'Tricoteuse'.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The attitude seemed to be almost: "How dare they not give us the biggest SF shock for decades - we'll just write them off as sh!te, and forget they are playing against supposedly the best team in the world because that's a bit inconvenient for what we want to say. We can't say City were brilliant, so let's slag Brighton off instead."

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
why anyone actually listens to the pundits is beyond me. I used to look forward to watching MOTD on a Saturday night. Now I record it, then just watch the actual football and fast forward through the interviews and “expert analysis “. Halves the viewing time and trebles the quality.

Because it was live and I wanted to watch it to the end and see our fans stay and sing etc.
I was also expecting the 'pundits' to give a true reflection of the match.
But the comments totally stunned me, there had to be an agenda, it was so far away from the action of the 2nd half.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Good to hear I'm not the only one that does this! Why anyone would want to listen to Shearer's inane comments is beyond me.

I’m another who does this. It started because of a lack of time, but I realised quickly that it made the experience so much better that I never watch it live any more and always dodge Lineker and co’s drivel.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
These dinosaurs need to be put out to grass ,all we get is the back slapping and how bad they all were when they played so as to get the usual fishing for compliments from the other hasbeens and media folk.
Where do I complain .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just watched the replay and the pundits comment. Total lack of respect and appreciation for the way we played, twats the lot of them. Man City had an off day apparently

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Lineker should stick to what he's best at – liberal, centrist tweets about Brexit and the state of modern politics.

His football punditry is piss poor.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The big problem with BBC's coverage is that it is entirely led by ex-pros. Each have an affinity for their old clubs, but none know what it is really like to be a fan. There is a place for the pro who could give the viewer an insight into what a player might be thinking, but why do we need three or four all with the same thing to give? Why not a fan, a historian, a statistician, a ref, a coach, a journalist? No we'll just have matey banter between ex players who all played for clubs in the top six, because they're the most famous. They will moan when games aren't up to standard even though they are BEING PAID TO WATCH FOOTBALL! They will do varying amounts of research (Somewhere between none: Alan Shearer and almost none: Everybody else) and fill in the blanks with in-jokes about each other's careers. Sky's Saturday coverage seems to be the model, but they have missed the glaringly obvious that this only works because of Jeff Stelling. Without him, left with just the ill-informed blatherings of Merson, Thompson etc. it would be completely unbearable.

As for Lineker, he is a perfectly serviceable presenter in a One Show type of fashion, but he is not, and never will be a comedian. This was made clear to all when he appeared on'They Think It's All over' back in the nineties. It never seems to have been clear to him though and social media has let him indulge himself to Partridge-like levels. As Ted Bovis might have said, if he'd read Stewart Lee's books 'The first rule of comedy Gary is you don't punch down.' As a rich and famous middle aged white man who did half the country's dream job and as a result of that and some adverts, fell into another dream job, you don't have many people to punch up at.

The journalism around our cup run this year has been massively lazy and predictable. We have been cast as both the Premier League team that are going to fall victim to a giant killing and the also runs there to take a pasting from the world beaters. Our story doesn't give easy reward to lazy journalism. We don't have a controversial manager, we play pragmatic football, we're not a city with an industrial working class history, we don't have a long history of trophy success, nor an array of famous players who used to play for us.

The Brighton story is there though. It's the same as, and different to, the story of every football club. It's about people, its about community and history, family, obsession, friendship, love, loss, failure, disappointment and the very occasional success. I'm sure that the likes of Paul Hayward or our very own NotAndyNaylor could have provided an insight into why some of the more than 30,000 people from all walks of life dropped everything and went to witness an almost certain defeat yesterday, and why they were all still there at the end after the winners had left, but this would have involved a bit more intelligence, work and imagination than the BBC was willing to commit.

No story here, let's just let a massively over-privileged group of middle aged men complain that the match wasn't entertaining enough for them. It's always worked in the past.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The big problem with BBC's coverage is that it is entirely led by ex-pros. Each have an affinity for their old clubs, but none know what it is really like to be a fan. There is a place for the pro who could give the viewer an insight into what a player might be thinking, but why do we need three or four all with the same thing to give? Why not a fan, a historian, a statistician, a ref, a coach, a journalist? No we'll just have matey banter between ex players who all played for clubs in the top six, because they're the most famous. They will moan when games aren't up to standard even though they are BEING PAID TO WATCH FOOTBALL! They will do varying amounts of research (Somewhere between none: Alan Shearer and almost none: Everybody else) and fill in the blanks with in-jokes about each other's careers. Sky's Saturday coverage seems to be the model, but they have missed the glaringly obvious that this only works because of Jeff Stelling. Without him, left with just the ill-informed blatherings of Merson, Thompson etc. it would be completely unbearable.

As for Lineker, he is a perfectly serviceable presenter in a One Show type of fashion, but he is not, and never will be a comedian. This was made clear to all when he appeared on'They Think It's All over' back in the nineties. It never seems to have been clear to him though and social media has let him indulge himself to Partridge-like levels. As Ted Bovis might have said, if he'd read Stewart Lee's books 'The first rule of comedy Gary is you don't punch down.' As a rich and famous middle aged white man who did half the country's dream job and as a result of that and some adverts, fell into another dream job, you don't have many people to punch up at.

The journalism around our cup run this year has been massively lazy and predictable. We have been cast as both the Premier League team that are going to fall victim to a giant killing and the also runs there to take a pasting from the world beaters. Our story doesn't give easy reward to lazy journalism. We don't have a controversial manager, we play pragmatic football, we're not a city with an industrial working class history, we don't have a long history of trophy success, nor an array of famous players who used to play for us.

The Brighton story is there though. It's the same as, and different to, the story of every football club. It's about people, its about community and history, family, obsession, friendship, love, loss, failure, disappointment and the very occasional success. I'm sure that the likes of Paul Hayward or our very own NotAndyNaylor could have provided an insight into why some of the more than 30,000 people from all walks of life dropped everything and went to witness an almost certain defeat yesterday, and why they were all still there at the end after the winners had left, but this would have involved a bit more intelligence, work and imagination than the BBC was willing to commit.

No story here, let's just let a massively over-privileged group of middle aged men complain that the match wasn't entertaining enough for them. It's always worked in the past.

I think someone should find an email address for someone high in the BBC sports department and send them this post, if this doesn't make someone stop and say "you know what, we've got it wrong" then nothing ever will...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It really doesn't usually bother me but tonight I am fuming, don't think I have heated such disingenuous crap in all my life.
People need to get onto social media in numbers and call these clowns out.
We know when we are crap and out played but today we were very good and a bit unlucky.
I'd go along with that, although the only bit where I felt we were unlucky was the sending off decision. That aside, we did as well as we could, but City were the better team. Not by as much as many of us feared, but still.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

What an absolutely tremendous post :clap2:

To which I’d add that once you’ve noticed YaYa Toure’s ears you can’t unsee them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We saw Gary and Al after the game, and asked Al what he thought of it. He said something along the lines of 'it was the worst game I've seen'. We thought he was joking, but it appears not.

Sure it wasn't one for the neutral to enjoy goals, great saves, a comeback, etc, but as a (so called) pro he should have been able to appreciate the game we were able to play. But then I guess he never really understood football management.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008

Here Here. Jolly good show old chap what a bloody good post ,this should go straight to the BBC with ours and others signatures on it .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here