Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth - Technical Director

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
CH might give all the right responses about being happy with it now. But no manager worth their salt will be happy with the introduction of an interfering somewhat superfluous person introduced into the heirarchy above him. IMHO it's a wrong move by a club still trying to find their way in the Premier League. Fair enough, took several attempts for the club to gain the confidence to rid themselves of the Foreign Exotic Manager = Must Be Good mantra. Hopefully take fewer failed attempts to ditch the Technical Director BS. In the end all it does is undermine the manager :shrug:
Barber said your talking bollocks:lolol: :https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/16905510.albion-chief-hails-massive-coup-for-club

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I don’t get why people don’t think this makes sense. We’re investing a lot of money in the academy and buying young players and a major part of this role is managing and knitting all that together - and we now have someone who has demonstrated he does that well - he’s delivered successful England youth teams and a demonstrable path to the senior team, which played a big part in us getting to the semis of the World Cup. The manager he worked alongside seems to rate him highly (Southgate), as does everyone else who works with him. If you invested millions in a youth / academy set up and wanted it to integrate it in to a seamless transition to the first team, would you not want someone managing it?

This - exactly. The problem with a manager-led system is that it totally depends on the personality of one person, which can go brilliantly (witness early years Wenger) or pretty badly (latter years Wenger or the void at Utd when Ferguson retired). We haven't got the size or resources to survive buying our way out of trouble - so hence we have to back ourselves on stability and bringing through prospects.

For all of Chris's positives, we all know he can be conservative in his playing style and team choices, and reluctant to back youth too much. He's also not got age on his side. For me, it makes perfect sense to bring in a technical director, who has a strong track record in overseeing youth-to-first team progression, can help bring our young team players through and can keep stability through the transition progress when Chris chooses to move on.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Let's be honest, most of us don't have a clue if this is a good thing or not. I do trust the decision making of TB implicitly though, he seems to know a thing or two about owning a club and which key people he needs to watch t'shop whilst he is busy building his fortune. That coupled with Ashworth's CV and standing in football for me means this should be viewed as a positive step.

Pretty much sums up my view as well. I do totally understand the reservations that some have about the wisdom of this appointment and the introduction of what appears to be a new layer into the club's management structure - but I long ago came to the conclusion that Bloom, Barber and the Board run the club way better than I ever could, so if they think it's a good idea and a necessary appointment then so do I.

Plus as it was decided that a Director of Football was a necessary appointment then Ashworth is THE best we could have got. This is no 'jobs for the boys' appointment where we've given it to somebody just because they plays poker with TB or something.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I am really pleased with his appointment and think this is definitely the right thing for the long term future of the club. More and more clubs in this country are going to be doing this now and we've got one of the best in that role. Man Utd are currently looking for a Technical Director and if they already had a good one, I would suggest they wouldn't be experiencing as many of the issues they are now.

Just one thing on my mind though with him not starting till the spring, I'm not trying to be too negative and I don't actually think we will, but there is obviously a chance we could be relegated by then and suddenly the job doesn't look quite so attractive and we've got an additional large salary on the books. Ashworth and TB/PB must be quite confident that isn't going to happen.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I am really pleased with his appointment and think this is definitely the right thing for the long term future of the club. More and more clubs in this country are going to be doing this now and we've got one of the best in that role. Man Utd are currently looking for a Technical Director and if they already had a good one, I would suggest they wouldn't be experiencing as many of the issues they are now.

Just one thing on my mind though with him not starting till the spring, I'm not trying to be too negative and I don't actually think we will, but there is obviously a chance we could be relegated by then and suddenly the job doesn't look quite so attractive and we've got an additional large salary on the books. Ashworth and TB/PB must be quite confident that isn't going to happen.

I'm sure during the long chats Dan had with TB, PB and CH that the threat of relegation came up more than once. I don't think it matters even if we were, it's about the long term project and what he feels he can contribute to this which I guess he is signing up for.
What makes me laugh is that TB doesn't do things by half does he. This role identified a couple of years ago so what does he do? Heads hunt one the top Technical Directors in the World for little old Brighton. Brilliant.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don’t get why people don’t think this makes sense. We’re investing a lot of money in the academy and buying young players and a major part of this role is managing and knitting all that together - and we now have someone who has demonstrated he does that well - he’s delivered successful England youth teams and a demonstrable path to the senior team, which played a big part in us getting to the semis of the World Cup. The manager he worked alongside seems to rate him highly (Southgate), as does everyone else who works with him. If you invested millions in a youth / academy set up and wanted it to integrate it in to a seamless transition to the first team, would you not want someone managing it?
Yes, but that's pretty much what I thought Simon Rusk was doing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Pretty much sums up my view as well. I do totally understand the reservations that some have about the wisdom of this appointment and the introduction of what appears to be a new layer into the club's management structure - but I long ago came to the conclusion that Bloom, Barber and the Board run the club way better than I ever could, so if they think it's a good idea and a necessary appointment then so do I.

Plus as it was decided that a Director of Football was a necessary appointment then Ashworth is THE best we could have got. This is no 'jobs for the boys' appointment where we've given it to somebody just because they plays poker with TB or something.

Although Dan Ashworth and Paul Barber were probably at the FA together.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Listening to PB on Talk shite yesterday the aim is to develop players for the 1st team rather than keep buying every season, Alrhough it may take a few years to start seeing the rewards was the impression I got.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If we are somehow going to bridge the gap between staying in this division and actually doing something in it, we are going to have to be cleverer than the others in recruitment and youth development. We cannot hope to outspend the rest of the division. For this reason getting a guy acknowledged as one of the best at recruitment and bringing youth through allied with our state of the art facilities clearly shows our intent. I think this is a brilliant and possibly game changing appointment. If you look at his time at West Brom and what happened after he left plus his England record I think this is absolutely the best guy we could've got.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Yes, but that's pretty much what I thought Simon Rusk was doing.

To stretch the England analogy Rusk is like the u21 manager/coach, whereas this guy sits above all those teams, tasked with creating a consistent culture etc that permeates the whole club, building a network of coaches at different levels all working to the same brief. Quite a different role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here