Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have a look at this brilliant bit of writing

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always struggle with the idea of 'the people' telling other (rich) people how they should be spending their money.

Or in this case, 'the people' telling someone how he should spend the money he receives from other wealthy individuals.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Wasn't there an explanation from Barber that we didn't actually pay anything? As it wasn't put to vote etc and that it came out of the PL coffers? Did I dream that?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Needs some decent sub-editing, but can't disagree with any of the points made.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Will it be put down as expenditure for the next set of accounts or will it be classed as a gift ,as it sure wont be classed as a charitable donation .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wasn't there an explanation from Barber that we didn't actually pay anything? As it wasn't put to vote etc and that it came out of the PL coffers? Did I dream that?

There was an was an explanation from PB that it would all be done by creative accounting with the help of a bit of smoke and mirrors, or something like that, I believe. The money wouldn't actually be paid by the clubs and they never voted on it, but it would just appear from somewhere and jump into Scudamore's account (over a three year period so nobody would notice it, so that's alright then).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As mentioned, we never directly "paid" the £250k, it came out of the PL's central funding account.

And as distasteful as this bonus it is, under Scudamore's watch and largely thanks to his negotiations, the TV money for the PL went up from 1.2bn to 5.1bn. He also prevented the biggest clubs from hoovering up an even larger slice of the TV money from the rest of the division (something they constantly push for).

He was generously remunerated for this while he was in the job, so I don't see why he should get another £5m bung. But the fact is that all the PL clubs, including ours, are now benefitting from the money Scudamore screwed out of the broadcasters while he was in office.

Ultimately, the suits always look after each other.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Very good piece; echos my sentiments.

Despite Barber's protestations, it is abundantly clear that the club will effectively be making the payment. I do hope Barber hasn't enrolled in the "Smoke & Mirrors Accountancy Academy"!!

Whatever angle Barber tries to put on it, the club will pay by getting less. He didn't say NO!! And he should have.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm ashamed at my club for making this payment.

Yet most proposals to improve supporter experience can't be enacted because "they doesn't make commercial sense"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very good piece; echos my sentiments.

Despite Barber's protestations, it is abundantly clear that the club will effectively be making the payment. I do hope Barber hasn't enrolled in the "Smoke & Mirrors Accountancy Academy"!!

Whatever angle Barber tries to put on it, the club will pay by getting less. He didn't say NO!! And he should have.

But the club isn't getting less. Because of Scudamore, the club is now getting more Sky TV money than it would ever have done before. Its gone up almost 5-fold since he's been negotiating the deals.

It still sticks in the throat as the bloke is already a multi-millionaire, and nobody likes to see a fortune bunged at a millionaire. But in business terms I guess its fairly standard practice.

Away from football, if a chief executive retired from a business having increased its profits 5-fold over the course of his tenure, then nobody would bat an eyelid if he was awarded a golden handshake at the end of it. But because its football,and we all have an investment in our clubs both emotional and financial, it becomes emotive. I had a BIG problem at the idea of BHA writing out a cheque for £250k for Scudamore, with that being deducted directly from our own coffers. But now I know its coming from the PL's central fund and not OUR clubs bank account...not so much.

The press have created a story here by misreporting it IMO.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

We didn't though. And, seemingly, neither did we vote for the Premier League to make the payment.

For those that missed it, this is the email that Paul Barber sent to [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] and myself on the back of the NSC thread and general furore:

As is usual, several people have made me aware of the thread concerning Richard Scudamore’s remuneration on NSC.

To be clear, and to correct a number of inaccuracies currently being presented and discussed as “fact”:

- Richard Scudamore’s remuneration is determined by the Premier League’s board and audit committee - not by individual clubs or via a vote;

- as such, clubs were not required to vote to determine Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or that of any other league executive);

- therefore it is not true that 5 clubs “abstained” from a vote that did not, and was not required to, take place;

- our club has not been asked “to write a cheque” or “to divert club funds” to pay for Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or anyone else’s remuneration at the Premier League);

- by definition, the costs of the remuneration of the Premier League’s staff and executives are met from the league’s central costs (just like the EFL - and many other sporting organisations or governing bodies of a similar type);

- finally, our club’s budgets are determined by our own commercial revenue streams and also by the revenues we receive from the league (from TV rights, licensing, and sponsorship income). As is entirely normal each season, our share of the league’s revenues is paid to us taking in to account the league’s central costs.​

The Premier League has now issued a statement on this subject - and it is not for our club to comment on the specific remuneration of individual Premier League executives (just as we wouldn’t comment on the specific remuneration of our own staff, executives, coaches or players).

We will however say - again - that Richard Scudamore has done an outstanding job for the Premier League - and for the Football League before that - for almost 20 years. All of us at this football club thank Richard for what he has done for football - at all levels - and we all wish him well for the future.​

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Yet most proposals to improve supporter experience can't be enacted because "they doesn't make commercial sense"

They're not making a payment. You can't pay with money you've not been given.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Disgusting that we paid it.

PB not in touch with things like that though. He's a businessman. Not a football man

Totally agree. Especially as the club've taken away the subsidies for fans' travel for fans outside of the Brighton area making it even more expensive for us lot to travel to games. For me this seems totally in bad taste and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Especially as we haven't exactly been benefiting from this money for a long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here