Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leeds owner calls for Premier League 2

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Of course - which is what the majority of people on this thread seem to miss out on. It’s nothing to do with just a name change. It’s the ability to breakaway from the current EFL deal and negotiate its own. I would be surprised if it didn’t end up with a lot more TV revenue than it does now if that happened.

How will he get more TV revenue? There is only so much to go around, made even worse by the Big Boys bringing out their Alan Partridge bigger plate to the carvery. Also, any change would set a precedent for all Champ Clubs, and would be negative should Leeds get promoted

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Premier League voted in June to split the TV revenues using a new formula so that they will receive more from 2019 and the EFL teams less. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and I run a website that looks at stuff like this and reported it at the time.

http://priceoffootball.com/new-tv-distribution-rules-everyones-a-winner/

Given that is the case, it would be strange for the EPL to backtrack and now offer more money to clubs in the Championship.

Bruce Buck, the American CEO of Chelsea, referred to clubs outside of his bunch of sycophantic chums as 'the great unwashed' so further suggests an unwillingness to give up money to those less well off than his pariah state oligarch funded club.

[Tweet]1050351171167240192[/Tweet]

A football finance DULLARD has just been on TalkSport saying there's a greater chance of Seann Walsh winning 'Man of the Year 2018' than Premier League 2 being agreed by the existing Premier League clubs.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
My first game watching the Albion was 1968. It was-
Division One
Division Two
Division Three
Division Four
It worked well then, until people started messing about with it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well I think it's a good idea. I think it's good for smaller teams too.

I would have Premier League 1 & 2, each of 20 teams.

Then 3 further divisions of Championship, Division One, Division Two.

There are some proper football clubs stuck in The National League and must be suffering because of it - Wrexham, Orient, Hartlepool, Barnet, Chesterfield, Aldershot. Clubs like these have the history and fanbase to be league sides.

But all you're basically doing is re-naming all the divisions (again), and in your example, reducing the size of the current Championship, and rebranding the leagues below. What are you going to do with the 4 clubs excluded from Premier League 2 - pass them down to the 3rd tier to make 28 teams ?

Regardless. "Premier League One" will still be the 20 clubs of the Premier League. Calling a 20-club Championship "Premier League 2" won't make a jot of difference. Nobody in TV-land would be any more interested in watching it than they are now. So who actually benefits ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Football is a brand and rebranding is very effective. Rebranding Division One to the Championship worked - it's now the third most attended league in Europe and televised all over the world.

Reducing quantity of league games increases prestige of the competing teams, and reduces game fatigue and therefore also improves quality of football.

The Championship is almost the Premier League 2 already - some huge, historic clubs there - the playoff final has possibly the greatest amount of value in world football.

What would I do with the extra clubs? An extra 2 relegation spots over 2 seasons, or similar.

But like I said in my post, if we created a new 5th tier professional division, it would be really important for some of the clubs that are finding it really tough to escape it.

There is already a '5th tier professional division'. It is called the National League. Again, you're just rebranding.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Matey from Leeds cares not a toss about names and Leagues below, simply wants his hands on the wonga.

loadsamoneyxxx_3561517c.jpg

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Once the inevitable European Super League has been established he will get his wish but there will be far less money to spread around the remnants of the Premier League/Championship when SKY/BT re-negotiate the TV packages.

Im sure that when the European Super League is created MASSIVE LEEDS will be invited to join......after all they are the biggest club in the world.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Why doesn't Yorkshire just get a league of their own, solely for the club's within.

Could be called the YMCA..............

'Yorkshire's Massive Club Association'

Yeah that'll do it :tosser:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Football is a brand and rebranding is very effective. Rebranding Division One to the Championship worked - it's now the third most attended league in Europe and televised all over the world.

Reducing quantity of league games increases prestige of the competing teams, and reduces game fatigue and therefore also improves quality of football.

The Championship is almost the Premier League 2 already - some huge, historic clubs there - the playoff final has possibly the greatest amount of value in world football.

What would I do with the extra clubs? An extra 2 relegation spots over 2 seasons, or similar.

But like I said in my post, if we created a new 5th tier professional division, it would be really important for some of the clubs that are finding it really tough to escape it.

In the Premier League there are 12 clubs out of 20 where matchday income is less that 10% of the total, and so the number of matches played is relatively unimportant.

In the Championship there are 0 clubs out of 24 where matchday income is less than 10% of the total, so the number of teams in the division and therefore matches played has a greater impact relatively on club finances.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's also why a lot of Championship clubs find themselves in financial trouble.

Rebranding into a Premier League 2 should increase prize money & TV revenue. Surely that's the point?

You can't just slap another new name on the division and expect broadcasters to come running with more money for it though. ITV Digital tried for precisely this market in the early 2000's, and discovered that it just wasn't there. They duley went bust, and nearly took several clubs down with them. Yes there are some traditionally "big" clubs in the 2nd tier, but not enough of them to generate the kind of subscribers that would be needed to make it viable or profitable.

So where is all this extra money going to come from to finance "Premier League 2", and enable ALL the clubs in the 5th Tier ("League 4") to turn professional ? Sorry, but your idea is complete eyewash.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Big is an understatement. We have Premier League and European champions in there. 3rd highest attendances in Europe after the Premier league & Bundesliga.

It might be slightly ambitious, but these are clubs that people all over the world have heard of (and may even support). If The Premier League included The Premier League 2 into its sale of TV packages - the likes of Amazon, BT and Sky would get more games for their money. The likes of Facebook are also interested in acquiring games, not to mention other streaming services in the future.

People don't just watch football (or any sport) to watch the best of the best. People like to watch clubs and players that they have heard of... The Premier League 2 would have that.

Brilliant. I'm sold, how do I pay?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You can't just slap another new name on the division and expect broadcasters to come running with more money for it though. ITV Digital tried for precisely this market in the early 2000's, and discovered that it just wasn't there. They duley went bust, and nearly took several clubs down with them. Yes there are some traditionally "big" clubs in the 2nd tier, but not enough of them to generate the kind of subscribers that would be needed to make it viable or profitable.

So where is all this extra money going to come from to finance "Premier League 2", and enable ALL the clubs in the 5th Tier ("League 4") to turn professional ? Sorry, but your idea is complete eyewash.

Agree ... I'd think that the lions share of subscriptions home and abroad are paid to watch the PL big 6 either v each other or v the 'also rans'. Take those 6 away and the subscription revenue dries up overnight. Unfortunately BHA v Cardiff, or Southampton v Burnley just doesn't have a great deal of commercial value imo

Apart from the good suggestion that Leeds might be after generating their own subscription revenue by breaking away from the EFL I can't see anything to gain from the idea

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not, many of the clubs in that division are semi-pro. It is a non-league division.

Can you name the MANY semi-pro clubs in the National League, please?

I'll even help you out by giving you Sutton united.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Big is an understatement. We have Premier League and European champions in there. 3rd highest attendances in Europe after the Premier league & Bundesliga.

It might be slightly ambitious, but these are clubs that people all over the world have heard of (and may even support). If The Premier League included The Premier League 2 into its sale of TV packages - the likes of Amazon, BT and Sky would get more games for their money. The likes of Facebook are also interested in acquiring games, not to mention other streaming services in the future.

People don't just watch football (or any sport) to watch the best of the best. People like to watch clubs and players that they have heard of... The Premier League 2 would have that.

So if its all so glamerous still, then why didn't anyone subscribe for it around 1999-2000 then ?
You had Blackburn, Sheff Weds, WBA, Forest, Wolves, Bolton, Watford, QPR, Man City, Norwich. Still in amongst the dross like Palace, Barnsley, Tranmere, Stockport.

It didn't work back then. Why would it work this time round ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So if its all so glamerous still, then why didn't anyone subscribe for it around 1999-2000 then ?
You had Blackburn, Sheff Weds, WBA, Forest, Wolves, Bolton, Watford, QPR, Man City, Norwich. Still in amongst the dross like Palace, Barnsley, Tranmere, Stockport.

It didn't work back then. Why would it work this time round ?

Because it will be REBRANDED as part of the PREMIER LEAGUE, you fool.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the Championship should be rebranded PREMIER LEAGUE GOLD.

This would be a 'retro' division exclusively filled by those old, giant / massive clubs who have fallen on hard times but who we used to love back in the day. I propose a 'Prem-style' 20-team division including - amongst others - fallen giants Leeds Utd, Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Derby County, Middlesbrough, Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton Wanderers.Those clubs should feel more at home here than in the shiny, modern, fiscally responsible Premier League.

Live coverage could be presented by Richard Keys and Andy Gray.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's also why a lot of Championship clubs find themselves in financial trouble.

Rebranding into a Premier League 2 should increase prize money & TV revenue. Surely that's the point?

Prize money from whom?

TV revenue from whom?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here