Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League 29/9 - 1/10

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If Wolves and West Ham teach us footballing lessons, it won’t be the end of the world.

We’re in a mini league with Hudd/Cardiff/Newcastle/Stains and possibly Fulham/Palace. Our games against them will be crucial, and hope to pick the odd home result against others.

I think the safety points total will be low, as a few other clubs have joined the top 6 into finding ways to play well and clock up wins.

I think you could be right about points total but that will provide us fewer opportunities to pick up said points. I get the vast majority see Cardiff and Hudders as nailed on but I am not there yet.

Looking at both sides last night they played with a lot more intensity and desire than I've seen from us most of this season. Muff, particularly pressed high, moved the ball quickly and accurately. Palarse were definitely looking for a win too, and there wasn't much to chose between them. I'm trying to contemplate how we go about games against both of them, but struggling to imagine it!

I'm in a minority for sure but I really hope we don't put those two and the others in the 'middle league' (personally I prefer the two leagues model) up on some sort of pedestal. On Friday I very much hope we take the game to West Ham and put them on the back foot. Not too confident right now :(

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You could say the same about most of our summer signings to improve the team :shrug:

Difference is I don't remember going onto Palace's messageboard specifically to bang on about how Jahanbakhsh and Andone were "phenomenal, top 6 signings".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Difference is I don't remember going onto Palace's messageboard specifically to bang on about how Jahanbakhsh and Andone were "phenomenal, top 6 signings".

I wouldn't go on there if we signed Aguero :smile:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Also pretty confident that neither of them are costing us £170k/week...

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think you could be right about points total but that will provide us fewer opportunities to pick up said points. I get the vast majority see Cardiff and Hudders as nailed on but I am not there yet.

Looking at both sides last night they played with a lot more intensity and desire than I've seen from us most of this season. Muff, particularly pressed high, moved the ball quickly and accurately. Palarse were definitely looking for a win too, and there wasn't much to chose between them. I'm trying to contemplate how we go about games against both of them, but struggling to imagine it!

I'm in a minority for sure but I really hope we don't put those two and the others in the 'middle league' (personally I prefer the two leagues model) up on some sort of pedestal. On Friday I very much hope we take the game to West Ham and put them on the back foot. Not too confident right now :(

Win, lose or draw, the entire Albion fan-base are simply loving being in the PL. What's not to like?

Should we be outclassed this season and drop, with the huge parachute monies, I'm sure TB/CH will 'go again'.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Win, lose or draw, the entire Albion fan-base are simply loving being in the PL. What's not to like?

Should we be outclassed this season and drop, with the huge parachute monies, I'm sure TB/CH will 'go again'.

If our current form and style of play continues I'm not sure that'll be the case... I'm hopeful it won't, but what is it that Bournemouth have that we don't that means they can play so freely? And it seems to me they've been playing that way since their first few seasons in the prem, not just since they've settled into it. Correct me if I'm wrong!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007

I get what your saying but I think if we don't see many points up to Xmas then the atmosphere might change a bit and we'll see lots of negative posts on here that are currently happening on other messageboards where clubs are not playing well.

So far despite not winning many games since Xmas, we are still mellow as I think we "get" what the Club and Hughton are trying to do on and off the pitch we appreciate it all. However lose to the teams around us then I fear that might change.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don’t think Palace will go down, but they’ve only got a couple more points than us, and have only played one of the Big Six, whereas we’ve played four of them.

One of my Nigel mates has "treated" him and his son to a season ticket there. They've played 3 home games and he hasn't seen a Palace goal yet, and that includes visits from Newcastle and Southampton.

Oh and with 4 goals Harry Kane is the top Premier League goal scorer at the...

...John Smith's Stadium.
He's scored more there THIS season than Huddersfield have

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If our current form and style of play continues I'm not sure that'll be the case... I'm hopeful it won't, but what is it that Bournemouth have that we don't that means they can play so freely? And it seems to me they've been playing that way since their first few seasons in the prem, not just since they've settled into it. Correct me if I'm wrong!

You are correct. I haven't got a clue what Bmuff do differently. Perhaps there's a culture from the manager, with both approaches working in terms of PL survival? For every Howe, Klopp and Pelligrini, there's an Allardyce, Hughton and Dyche equally able to deliver the points to survive. Touch wood.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You are correct. I haven't got a clue what Bmuff do differently. Perhaps there's a culture from the manager, with both approaches working in terms of PL survival? For every Howe, Klopp and Pelligrini, there's an Allardyce, Hughton and Dyche equally able to deliver the points to survive. Touch wood.

Bournemouth have a culture of buying success, usually beyond their means (at least in the Championship) and also have an extra season's worth of TV money with which to strengthen.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bournemouth have a culture of buying success, usually beyond their means (at least in the Championship) and also have an extra season's worth of TV money with which to strengthen.

That’s appalling. For their PL years, why don’t the PL investigate and sanction them if it’s beyond their means? At the same time, to look at Palace, West Ham and Fulham. All spending far more on fees and wages than us.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That’s appalling. For their PL years, why don’t the PL investigate and sanction them if it’s beyond their means? At the same time, to look at Palace, West Ham and Fulham. All spending far more on fees and wages than us.

I did say 'at least in the Championship'. I'd imagine it's hard to 'overspend' in the Premier League considering the vast amounts of money available. I'm sure [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] can correct me if I'm being unfair to them over this.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did say 'at least in the Championship'. I'd imagine it's hard to 'overspend' in the Premier League considering the vast amounts of money available. I'm sure [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] can correct me if I'm being unfair to them over this.

I still think you had a great point on Bmuff's per se, and I would expand the discussion to Fulham, Wolves, Palace and West Ham. Our PL club income must be in the same ball park, as broadcasting money dominates the 'pie chart' and TB has been generous in freeing all PL monies for players fees/wages and agents fees. Yet those other clubs mysteriously appear to have spent on another level to us.

Or if [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] says that isn't true and all is above board, perhaps Howe is simply a great coach of successful attacking football.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I still think you had a great point on Bmuff's per se, and I would expand the discussion to Fulham, Wolves, Palace and West Ham. Our PL club income must be in the same ball park, as broadcasting money dominates the 'pie chart' and TB has been generous in freeing all PL monies for players fees/wages and agents fees. Yet those other clubs mysteriously appear to have spent on another level to us.

Or if [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] says that isn't true and all is above board, perhaps Howe is simply a great coach of successful attacking football.

I think Howe gets a bad press TBH. Bournemouth are near the bottom of the table in both wages and player spend. For a detailed analysis feel free to take a look at this

http://priceoffootball.com/tag/bournemouth/

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think Howe gets a bad press TBH. Bournemouth are near the bottom of the table in both wages and player spend. For a detailed analysis feel free to take a look at this

So, with a record 90% of their income from TV payments, they're very secure in the Premier League. The opening lines of the article cut to the nub of the problem though; they cheated to get there.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I've warmed to Howe, he seems less 'virtuous school creep' these days, and he orchestrated the defeat of Palace. :)

(But I'll find him irritating again should they gain 6 points from us with exciting football).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is there a single Brighton fan who is not just a bit envious of the way Bournemouth play? They have had some stonkingly good high scoring games and even won a few of them. I would love us to play with the attacking flair they try and play every game.

Eddie Howe is MUCH better than CH at finding strikers and goal scoring defenders and midfielders that allow him to play this way though. Give me a 3-2 win or defeat over ground out draws and narrow losses every time over the occasional win from defending from the moment we go in front.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is there a single Brighton fan who is not just a bit envious of the way Bournemouth play? They have had some stonkingly good high scoring games and even won a few of them. I would love us to play with the attacking flair they try and play every game.

Eddie Howe is MUCH better than CH at finding strikers and goal scoring defenders and midfielders that allow him to play this way though. Give me a 3-2 win or defeat over ground out draws and narrow losses every time over the occasional win from defending from the moment we go in front.

Or Winstanley rather than CH? But your point is great.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Games and results like that seem like a dream at the moment, sadly :( definitely a bit envious of Bournemouth's style, regardless of whether or not they cheated to reach the prem in the first place! Hopefully our time will come...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here