Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] UEFA CL March 5/6 knockout stages.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gonna need reconstructive surgery after this assault:-

[tweet]1103409980496056320[/tweet]

It's always nice to get a regular reminder why I don't like football, footballers and all things football, except the Albion.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If that is the bench mark for a penalty in the new VAR era we will have forwards looking for the arm in the box.

Quite easy to imagine forwards flicking the ball from short distance onto a defenders arm = penalty. Will a rule then be required regarding how far the ball travels before hitting the arm?
The rule makers are getting themselves into a mess and it’s spoiling the game.

No one is talking about last night’s match in terms of skill, passion, teamwork, etc. It’s all about rules and VAR. Can’t be right

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
With VAR coming in they need to refine some of the rules.The obvious two for me are offside and handball.

Giving offside when it looks to the human eye that a player is level, but VAR proves that his knee was 2mm in front of the defender, will ruin the game. For VAR matches I would reverse the ruling in a "line belongs to the umpire" style - if any part of the player is onside then they're ok.

They need to have clear rules on what constitutes deliberate handball. At the moment nobody has a clue whether they should be given or not. As [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] says, it won't be long before forwards work out how to flick the ball against a defenders hand.

On the offside thing, I like the idea but you'll just have the same in reverse, i.e. VAR proving that part of the defenders knee is 2mm behind the attacker

On handball, the proposed rule change is in another thread on this - if the arm is outside the 'natural silhouette' of the player, even if accidental, its a handball

Overall though, I agree that this is the problem with VAR. Its being brought in to correct the 'howlers', the 2 yards offside, the player punching the ball in with his hand, the blatant dive. But in reality, how many of these do we have a season? Three? 4, 5?

Whereas in reality what VAR will be doing every game is looking at the tiniest of offside decisions, whether a ball went out of play by a fraction, if there was a slight shove in the penalty box. There are hundreds of these every season. And at the moment, we can have a slight whinge but we're generally not overly fussed. We'll be more fussed by all the daft penalties given and disallowed goals that will happen every other game.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Far from a Man Utd fan, but wouldn't it be great if they win the Champions League and Liverpool win f'all

It would be slightly funny

Have to give it to them, they are a completely different outfit now to what we played in August

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What the hell is the PSG manager going on about here..... from BBC

PSG manager Thomas Tuchel said the penalty should not have been given because Dalot's shot was not on target.

"From my point of view I watched Dalot take the shot. I saw the ball flying straight from his foot and for me it was clear it was going way over the bar," said Tuchel.

"There are many things to discuss before taking the decision and I think it's a 50-50 decision. What makes it super hard is I had the clear feeling the shot was not on target, and to get rewarded with a penalty, there is no logic."

So for a penalty to be awarded a shot has to be on target? WTF?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I watched the manure game last night and I thought they well deserved the win.
However, if you jump in the area, your back to the ball, it hits your elbow/arm your how can that be a penalty?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I watched the manure game last night and I thought they well deserved the win.
However, if you jump in the area, your back to the ball, it hits your elbow/arm your how can that be a penalty?

Only turned his back at the last moment...should have had the balls to face the rigthway :moo:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8805931 said:
I think it's brilliant. Detest everything that PSG represent. Always great also to see academy players break through and represent their childhood clubs. We all know what it means to Dunky and I thought it was great to see Rashford bang in that penalty under pressure for his childhood club.

First penalty he's taken for them as well.....now he's got nerve

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I hate PSG. The absolute worst of modern football epitomised by one team. You could trawl the entire planet and you’ll never find another bunch who manage to pack so much cheating, diving, time wasting, injury feigning, cynical fouling and all round unpleasantness into every performance. What did Neymar look like standing on the touchline in a leather jacket and gold earrings? What was Marquinhos doing throwing himself to the floor in the last minute despite clearly committing the foul himself? Absolute shower of twats. Seeing them choke in the knockout stages gets more pleasurable every year.

I'll have a go.....a dick?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Gonna need reconstructive surgery after this assault:-

[tweet]1103409980496056320[/tweet]

It's always nice to get a regular reminder why I don't like football, footballers and all things football, except the Albion.

Dealt with nicely by the ref
However, on a serious note ...does Dzeko aim a spit at Pepe right at the very end?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Quite easy to imagine forwards flicking the ball from short distance onto a defenders arm = penalty. Will a rule then be required regarding how far the ball travels before hitting the arm?
The rule makers are getting themselves into a mess and it’s spoiling the game.

No one is talking about last night’s match in terms of skill, passion, teamwork, etc. It’s all about rules and VAR. Can’t be right

Indeed. Like others I'm not a Luddite, if VAR can help referees then let's have it. But as this incident has proved (again) if the purpose of VAR is to remove debate and controversy then it is failing miserably. Needs a huge rethink.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
On another point: how many of Man U's players last night are products of their youth/academy scheme? Encouraging for ours.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We are going to give away so many penalties next season if we stay up the way Duffy and Dunk block the ball
Bruno and Calde need to do some coaching.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
stoichkov-real-madrid-tomb-stone.png

Good old Stoichkov, always rely on his humour :lolol:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It wasn’t VARs fault, it’s ambiguous rules.

I thought it was very interesting on BT Sport last night when they all pointed out no explayer thought it was a penalty but every official thought it was.

That can’t be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was waiting for someone to mention that handball is supposed to be a deliberate act, but no one ever did. I would have liked to have known Peter Walton's response to that. I understand that deliberate can be interpreted as an ambivalence to whether the ball hits your arm, such as if you jump with your arms in the air. But handball in the situation seen last night doesn't make sense to me - the ball hit his arm at speed from a short distance when trying to block the ball with his side, and his hands were down in a completely natural position.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If that is the bench mark for a penalty in the new VAR era we will have forwards looking for the arm in the box.

I genuinely think you already see this sometimes. A number of times now I've seen a tricky winger slowly move into the box with the ball, then do a quick jerky flick upwards (almost a scoop) with the ball, hoping it catches the jockeying defender in front of them on the arm. Have absolutely seen this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here