Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Canada legalises recreational cannabis use.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We have a different culture. British teenagers will still want to smoke it.

I am far from convinced the effects of a change in legislation will be markedly different from what is being seen elsewhere.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I am far from convinced the effects of a change in legislation will be markedly different from what is being seen elsewhere.

It seems we hold different thoughts on what legalisation would look like. Which is why we hold a different viewpoint on this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I disagree strongly. It is a plant. It is not used in the manufacture of any drug.
But the way language works, if everyone calls it a drug, then it's a drug.

It does cause some mental issues, but not to the extent that anti cannabis promoters would like to admit.
I don't think we know enough yet. Alcohol on the other hand, has been drunk here for a very long time, and a good amount is known about the affects.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
But the way language works, if everyone calls it a drug, then it's a drug.

I don't think we know enough yet. Alcohol on the other hand, has been drunk here for a very long time, and a good amount is known about the affects.

Its been around long enough to know that the only way it can kill you is a 5 kilo block of hash hitting you on the head from a tall building. Weed has been around for thousands of years, and been used in the UK for hundreds of years. It doesnt lead to other drugs necessarily. Im living proof of that, and in all the years ive smoked it, which is a considerable time, ive known 3 people who have moved on to other drugs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
OK, but you're not making a compelling argument for making cannabis illegal here.
I'm not trying to. I'm not against the idea of it being legalised. I'm just questioning those who say there's nothing wrong with it, and no ill effects.

true of everything, but cannabis use has been around for a very long time indeed, as has tobacco, alcohol, etc.
Not even nearly as long as alcohol on these shores. Alcohol has been an important form of nutrition and healthy fluid over the centuries (before it became the piss-up mechanism it is now).
There are a lot of prescription drugs that have been around for a much shorter period of time, so again its not a compelling argument against marijuana
The prescription drugs aren't taken just for fun, and each one isn't taken by a huge chunk of the population. They're taken to fight against ill health, and so the risk is considered worth the reward. Prescription drugs being available is not a compelling argument to legalise cannabis.

Its not an easy one to answer I agree.
No it's not. I think you need to come up with something before we legalise it though.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It seems we hold different thoughts on what legalisation would look like. Which is why we hold a different viewpoint on this.

I agree, there are many different models of legislation that are being tried around the world. All the ones i have read about are working better than the current system of criminalising the drug and its users.

Here are a few examples from around the world. I suppose time will tell what is the best system for cannabis and indeed other illegal drugs. I am glad that we, as a society are rethinking our attitudes and approaches to drug use because i believe that we can do much much better than the current way.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...y-tories-medicinal-recreational-a8406776.html

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Actually the available evidence doesn't support that.

"There is little evidence that decriminalization of marijuana use necessarily leads to a substantial increase in marijuana use."

- The National Academy of Sciences
Decriminalisation is not the same as legalisation.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm not trying to. I'm not against the idea of it being legalised. I'm just questioning those who say there's nothing wrong with it, and no ill effects.

Not even nearly as long as alcohol on these shores. Alcohol has been an important form of nutrition and healthy fluid over the centuries (before it became the piss-up mechanism it is now).
The prescription drugs aren't taken just for fun, and each one isn't taken by a huge chunk of the population. They're taken to fight against ill health, and so the risk is considered worth the reward. Prescription drugs being available is not a compelling argument to legalise cannabis.

No it's not. I think you need to come up with something before we legalise it though.

yes and I wish you would get your finger out [MENTION=805]Kalimantan Gull[/MENTION] so we can get it done. I was wondering who was holding the whole thing up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
'In Britain itself, in 1928 in accordance with the 1925 International Opium Convention, the United Kingdom first prohibited cannabis as a drug, adding cannabis as an addendum to the Dangerous Drugs Act 1920'
That doesn't answer the question.

You said that being bad for your health and anti-social are not reasons why it's illegal, I asked what are the reasons, and you've simply stated when it became illegal, not why.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Its been around long enough to know that the only way it can kill you is a 5 kilo block of hash hitting you on the head from a tall building. Weed has been around for thousands of years, and been used in the UK for hundreds of years.
The number of people that have regularly had cannabis here over the last few years does not compare with those that have had alcohol. It may not kill you, but there are concerns over how it affects your long term mental health.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
That doesn't answer the question.

You said that being bad for your health and anti-social are not reasons why it's illegal, I asked what are the reasons, and you've simply stated when it became illegal, not why.

Well, it does.... 'In Britain itself, in 1928 in accordance with the 1925 International Opium Convention, the United Kingdom first prohibited cannabis as a drug'

In line with the International Opium convention.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I wonder what the uptake from non takers would be if it was legalised. I have never taken illegal drugs and wouldn't bother if they became legal but I am sure it would tempt some. I'm happy on beer and sometimes very happy on rum.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I agree, there are many different models of legislation that are being tried around the world. All the ones i have read about are working better than the current system of criminalising the drug and its users.

Here are a few examples from around the world. I suppose time will tell what is the best system for cannabis and indeed other illegal drugs. I am glad that we, as a society are rethinking our attitudes and approaches to drug use because i believe that we can do much much better than the current way.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...y-tories-medicinal-recreational-a8406776.html

I have read your link and I don't see anything new to me in the way of how teenagers would be impacted here if made legal. For me adults would be better rejecting it all together so that any dealer goes out of business. I know this isn't what happens in practice as many people suffering anxiety, stress and depression turn to it as the NHS is useless at providing effective treatment. The truth is we would be better having conversations about how to manage and treat our mental health. I accept some people will always choose to smoke cannabis but still don't agree to making it legal.

Another poster said they love the smell of it. I and many others don't. We all live in the same space and cigarettes are as bad when people smoke even outside. The problem is that they are bad for lung health and I don't want to pollute mine with second hand smoke. I am just one of those people who will never think legalisation is a good idea.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You breathe in petrol fumes though. Ban cars and trucks? Keeping something illegal because you dont like the smell is kind of ridiculous.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
electric cars on their way dave. for what it is worth, i cannot stand the smell of cannabis

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have read your link and I don't see anything new to me in the way of how teenagers would be impacted here if made legal. For me adults would be better rejecting it all together so that any dealer goes out of business. I know this isn't what happens in practice as many people suffering anxiety, stress and depression turn to it as the NHS is useless at providing effective treatment. The truth is we would be better having conversations about how to manage and treat our mental health. I accept some people will always choose to smoke cannabis but still don't agree to making it legal.

Another poster said they love the smell of it. I and many others don't. We all live in the same space and cigarettes are as bad when people smoke even outside. The problem is that they are bad for lung health and I don't want to pollute mine with second hand smoke. I am just one of those people who will never think legalisation is a good idea.

As an option for improving the problems we have been discussing I don't really see rejecting it and putting the dealers out of business as a viable one. I also don't see why people should have to reject it, if it is something they enjoy.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Petrol will be around for a while yet. Some people love the smell, i do...some people dont, but thats not a good reason for illegality.

no, i know that mate. not fussed either way. smoke it away from me, no problem, near me and i will speak up and politely ask them to fick off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here