Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You didn't ask a question - you made a meaningless 'what about' statement (i.e. what about doing this on a weekend). And your attempt to deflect criticism my way because I didn't take a day off work also has no meaning.

I chose to go to work. The students and pupils chose to protest about their future. I am impressed with their organisation and numbers which represents a strength of feeling - one clearly not appreciated by many, including you, on here. All you've done is to attempt (and fail) to correlate me not going to work, and them not going to school. Irrelevant.

Each argument you make has little bearing on the main point. The main point is that they are protesting for their future - and you attempt a deflection of WHEN they do it. Meaningless.

In answer to your statement (the one you claim was a question) - they don't have to justify to you as to when this march is in order to make their point. So who are you (or who is anyone) to make that demand?

Oh stop being such a pompus old arse ..... otherwise known as the 'arrogant tw@t' most people see you as on here. I'm not asking them to justify their decision - I'm suggesting it would of had more impact if they had given up their own time to protest. As even this thread shows there's a proportion of the population that thinks that SOME of them did it to bunk off school rather than make a statement. Apparently 15000 was the number ...... I wonder how many that number would of been if it had been on a Saturday when a lot of them would have been carrying out activities that are bad for the climate ? Go on Alan, have a guess ..... much lower than 15000 would be my guess !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh stop being such a pompus old arse ..... otherwise known as the 'arrogant tw@t' most people see you as on here. I'm not asking them to justify their decision - I'm suggesting it would of had more impact if they had given up their own time to protest.

Didn't realise you'd appointed yourself as spokesman on behalf of the majority of NSC. Congratulations on your new post.

Meanwhile, you were absolutely asking them to justify their decision. And they did give up their own time to protest.

As even this thread shows there's a proportion of the population that thinks that SOME of them did it to bunk off school rather than make a statement. Apparently 15000 was the number ...... I wonder how many that number would of been if it had been on a Saturday when a lot of them would have been carrying out activities that are bad for the climate ? Go on Alan, have a guess ..... much lower than 15000 would be my guess !

Does it matter - apart from to you?

However, you have answered your own question. If you believe - through your own fabricated belief-system - that fewer people would have turned up on a Saturday than on a Friday, then the reason to do this on a Friday is therefore well and truly understood and justified. Why hold a protest when fewer would have turned up? Kind of defeats the object, doesn't it? :dunce:

I have no idea how many would have turned up. But then, I don't track the lives of young people to the same extent you evidently do.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
anyone know what the turn out was? and, am i imagining a gender bias in the protestors?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Ha ha, this in (kfc) buckets! The hypocrisy of people in general is truly nauseating, none of us are doing anywhere near enough and whilst they might feel good about, it’s all forgotten moments later as more important issues like Battle Royales take over as they’re collected in their Chelsea tractors and whisked away to Tuscany for HT. Call me a cynic, but I have no faith in humanity to prevent climate change by having less - including children. Better off throwing everything at technology to accommodate impacts eg giant space shields, colonising space, sea defences, GM food etc. These are infinitely ‘easier’ things to do than asking 7billion people to consume less, share more, protect what’s left etc.

Yes, sadly this is what it amounts to. Of course there is much good work going on, and genuine concern as to the environment, but when it comes down to people really inconveniencing themselves in order to have a safer environment for their grandchildren, very few are in reality willing to give up on their lifestyle. A year ago or so, I suggested that one sunday a month, the country is car-free, other than public transport and emergency vehicles and was so disappointed at the replies -most shuddered at the thought that they would have to give up on their regular sunday outing for once in a month. Yes, you can argue that young people are taking an interest, but in all honesty, how many of them will adopt a lifestyle that calls for genuine sacrifice.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Justification for the protest in a nutshell.

It's like you wrote their team talk for them.
It's past tipping point.... . 1 billion Africans don't give a shit... check out the streets of Lagos, Mogadishu, Kinshasa, Nairobi etc.. and the nearly dead Lake Victoria..... add another 50 years, then another.... result?.... dead Continent, northward migration into Europe.......

.... and Asia.... much the same, billions chucking their shit into the eco system... killing everything that moves....

15k western kids taking a short break from eating kfc and uncle Sam's... with their ps4 and mobile phones just ain't gonna make a ripple outside the news hungry local radio and tv stations.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Didn't realise you'd appointed yourself as spokesman on behalf of the majority of NSC. Congratulations on your new post.

Meanwhile, you were absolutely asking them to justify their decision. And they did give up their own time to protest.

Does it matter - apart from to you?

However, you have answered your own question. If you believe - through your own fabricated belief-system - that fewer people would have turned up on a Saturday than on a Friday, then the reason to do this on a Friday is therefore well and truly understood and justified. Why hold a protest when fewer would have turned up? Kind of defeats the object, doesn't it? :dunce:

I have no idea how many would have turned up. But then, I don't track the lives of young people to the same extent you evidently do.

If you accept that fewer kids would have turned up, then you can't say well done to the younger generation, as it is thus clear that many were there for a day off school.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Christ, the kids sit at home on their ipads or games consoles and people think they're wasters contributing nothing and being entitled.

The kids go out and organise a protest about something that will affect them a lot in the future - something that whilst it won't solve the problem, will tell the elected that they are aware, they are pissed off and they should know that...and they still get accused of doing it for a day off.

No wonder the kids feel so disenfranchised and pissed off with the older generation.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The problem is, everyone's too busy working full-time hours to actually give a toss about our environment.

Making money is much more of a priority for humanity than saving the earth, otherwise we'll die. These kids will learn this once they're handed their student loans

People don't look after this planet, they destroy it for money. Until we hit a new level of consciousness which enables our mind to break free of numbers, greed, academic intelligence and political bollocks, the planets environment will be in constant decline. We need wisdom which looks at all this from outside of the box (the 3rd eye) and we need it in vast numbers. This big spiritual awakening which seems to be currently happening all over the world as we speak, seems to be our only hope. Maybe our next stage of evolutionary consciousness will solve the answers as it's clear humanity is too thick to know what to do right now? Either way, somethings gonna happen.

But sadly, in the mean time, lower vibrational people will just say "what a load of hippy shite that is"

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Unfortunately I can now see that it has been hijacked by the Green Party. As if they own the moral high ground on climate change?

I am no fan of any party but the New Rampion offshore windfarm wasn't down to the Greens, the i360 was.

The strike has been turned into a political point scoring joke with someone leading it with "Punch a Nazi" painted on the back of their jacket. Everyone is a Nazi these days, thousands running about the place :lolol:

Punch a Nazi and Hug an Islamic extremist.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It's past tipping point.... . 1 billion Africans don't give a shit... check out the streets of Lagos, Mogadishu, Kinshasa, Nairobi etc.. and the nearly dead Lake Victoria..... add another 50 years, then another.... result?.... dead Continent, northward migration into Europe.......

.... and Asia.... much the same, billions chucking their shit into the eco system... killing everything that moves....

15k western kids taking a short break from eating kfc and uncle Sam's... with their ps4 and mobile phones just ain't gonna make a ripple outside the news hungry local radio and tv stations.

100% yes. Localising it to a few UK kids marching and recycling some milk cartons does not address the global aspect, and the fact that the majority of the planet cba or do not have the inclination.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

And the 1 billion Africans continuing to produce kids at an alarming rate so that each family has even more mouths that can't be fed. You really couldn't make it up. We're starving, we've got no money, we've got no prospects, we've got no food. What shall we do? Oh I know let's have another child. Irresponsible, ignorant, hopeless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here