Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Local' Derbies

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I went to a petrolul Ploiesti vs Astra Ploiesti match in '99

Never before or since have I walked the streets along side tanks with water cannons and armed chaps in green.

Match was extremely vocal, of a similar standard to Brighton at the time, but with a ****ing massive amount of noise and passion from such a small crowd. Memorable.

More memorable than west spam vs Staua bucharest the same season

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
The Albion v Palace game raises the matter of what constitutes a 'local' derby i.e. how geographically close do the two clubs need to be need to be? Give or take a few miles (i.e. over the years grounds might move but cities don't) these are qualifiers for grudge games which cover a fair old distance:

- Albion v Palace 48 miles

- Norwich v Ipswich 43 miles

- Cardiff v Swansea 42 miles

Any others? Feel free to go international.

Exeter v Plymouth 44 miles

I don’t understand why nobody questions any of these local derbies, yet everyone outside of the two clubs are puzzled by the Albion/Palace rivalry?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Toulouse v Bordeaux

the Garonne derby,150 miles apart!

truth is,not much happens at these games,probably due to the distance involved

that said,there's an annual bullfighting weekend in Vic-Fezensac about halfway between the 2 cities
mobs of blokes from the 2 cities descend on this little town and punch ups between them are very common
so much so,that a couple of years ago the event was cancelled

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The Stains fan seem to get a bit hot under the collar when their game against Bournemouth is called a local derby - they’re about 40 miles apart. Tin pot Bournemouth will try and generate a rivalry with anyone, it’s just no one else cares about them.

The media piss take of our rivalry with Palace has annoyed me this week. The patronising tone has really grated.

If Brighton and Palace fans feel we are our biggest rivals and treat it like a ‘derby’ then WTF has it got to do with them? The games are more intense than any Manchester, Liverpool or London derby I’ve seen for a long time.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
The Stains fan seem to get a bit hot under the collar when their game against Bournemouth is called a local derby - they’re about 40 miles apart. Tin pot Bournemouth will try and generate a rivalry with anyone, it’s just no one else cares about them.

The media piss take of our rivalry with Palace has annoyed me this week. The patronising tone has really grated.

If Brighton and Palace fans feel we are our biggest rivals and treat it like a ‘derby’ then WTF has it got to do with them? The games are more intense than any Manchester, Liverpool or London derby I’ve seen for a long time.

True but at least we play each other now. We were ridiculed for daring to call them our rivals when we were League 2 and they were Prem

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I might be wrong and I'm sure I'll be corrected,but I think Bournemouth in the early 70's was the first occasion of aggro at the Goldstone

I enjoy playing B'mouth,Soton & Pompey and I don't mind them being called a south coast derby (Plymouth & Exeter are too far)

obviously Palace is the big one by some considerable distance,I hate those ****ers :lol:

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I'd imagine Dundee mob up when Glasgow,Edinburgh and Aberdeen are in town

They shared same firm one firm for the two teams, there is very little real rivalry there at all, and certainly no sectarianism between the two clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here