Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Couch To 5k

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Managed to complete the dreaded W5R3 at first time of asking this morning. Can't pretend it was pleasant, but I didn't cry once. Cheers all for the encouragement :clap2:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Managed to complete the dreaded W5R3 at first time of asking this morning. Can't pretend it was pleasant, but I didn't cry once. Cheers all for the encouragement :clap2:

Top effort, plenty of stretching and re-hydration; I've another 25 min tonight and again on Friday, leaving me free for a Harvey's ... or two, on Saturday!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've only lost 5 lbs in the seven weeks BUT it's slow change to lifestyle, cut out processed meat and veggie two days a week, cutting down on alcohol and yes, feeling great!

If, and it's a big if, I can keep this going through the Winter and hit the Spring a stone lighter I'll be a happy bunny!

good luck with it pal.....!!! great thing is it costs nothing to go for a walk and it's free ( unless someone comes up with a must have walking outfit) ....:roll eyes:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done C25K chaps – keep it going!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Wow, slightly feel off the wagon, but feel I've retrieved the situation.

Ran W7R1 on 22 Oct and was due W7R2 on 24 Oct but it didn't happen! Ran that run yesterday (28 Oct) and have W7R3 on Tuesday.

I'm in Exhibition & Conference season hell at the moment so it's hard to find the time or space to do this. Facing a bit of a challenge but as I'm up to constant 25 minute and then constant 28 minute runs it's easier to do in terms of listening to the App, I can just chuck the kit on and go for a run!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I really like the sound of this C25K and the way it encourages progression to running. Trust me, as inclusive as ParkRun is, it can be very frustrating (bordering on infuriating) for volunteer marshalls and timekeepers having to stand out on the course for the best part of an hour to see perfectly healthy adults amble along at the back of the race with absolutely no intention of even breaking into a jog for a minute or 2.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really like the sound of this C25K and the way it encourages progression to running. Trust me, as inclusive as ParkRun is, it can be very frustrating (bordering on infuriating) for volunteer marshalls and timekeepers having to stand out on the course for the best part of an hour to see perfectly healthy adults amble along at the back of the race with absolutely no intention of even breaking into a jog for a minute or 2.

It's a tricky one....have been at one or two parkruns when the last person to finish has been so far behind the next last, but as a result the marshalls have to stay in place etc (usual race protocol is all runners get the same treatment), but parkrun are deliberately promoting the 'walk' (Hove Prom very obviously for example) so can only assume the core team have consciously decided to do that. I think it might put some people off volunteering to be honest.

A lot of the races I do have cut off times at various intervals, and they are usually quite strictly enforced - the 50/100 milers in particular which I know is a different kettle of fish altogether but principles are the same. In those, every checkpoint has a defined and published cut off - if you miss it., you're out of the race, no debate. The later aid stations in a 100 mile race can be open for 14-16 hours or more so not fair on the volunteers to keep them there indefinitely.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's difficult but today's walker could be tomorrow's jogger, we need to encourage all. I agree though it makes it less appealing for the much needed marshalling volunteers.

I'm guessing you can walk the 3.1m in around an hour anyway, can't you? Maybe the answer will be a "walker" sets off and anyone falling behind the walker is "requested" to practice a little more before entering a Parkrun?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Had to abort a run for the first time this morning. W6R2. Looked comfortable on paper. 10 mins run, 3 min walk, another 10 mins run. Had to abort 3 mins from the end. Not entirely sure why, other than maybe a combo of doing that upward slope in PP with a hefty cold wind blowing right in my face. I know a lot of folks say W6 can catch you out, and I guess it did, tho not in the way I expected. Am pretty philosophical about it tho, I'm thinking repeating W6R2 will only make me that bit stronger when it comes to straight runs with no breather which is every run from here on in. We go again!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's difficult but today's walker could be tomorrow's jogger, we need to encourage all. I agree though it makes it less appealing for the much needed marshalling volunteers.

I'm guessing you can walk the 3.1m in around an hour anyway, can't you? Maybe the answer will be a "walker" sets off and anyone falling behind the walker is "requested" to practice a little more before entering a Parkrun?

It's really tricky........I know some parkruns have, for example, very elderly 'runners' who simply aren't going to improve, but I'm sure getting out and active does them the world of good, even if they're taking more than an hour. Not sure they should be excluded ? One option could be to say the course will start to be dismantled after, say 45 mins with only the tailgunner and one timing person staying until the end - not sure whether that would compromise H&S/insurance requirements though.

Tends to work the other way round normally - tailgunner follows the last person (in ultras they usually keep a discreet distance behind, and act as 'sweepers', taking down course markings, picking up and litter etc)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had to abort a run for the first time this morning. W6R2. Looked comfortable on paper. 10 mins run, 3 min walk, another 10 mins run. Had to abort 3 mins from the end. Not entirely sure why, other than maybe a combo of doing that upward slope in PP with a hefty cold wind blowing right in my face. I know a lot of folks say W6 can catch you out, and I guess it did, tho not in the way I expected. Am pretty philosophical about it tho, I'm thinking repeating W6R2 will only make me that bit stronger when it comes so straight runs with no breather which is every run from here on in. We go again!

However long you've been running, you'll always have days where it simply doesn't work.............it's very common indeed as any of the longer-term runners on here will testify. Sometimes it's the easiest of training runs that turn totally to ****. The thing you quickly learn to do is just write it off and fight another day - so really don't worry about it, it's perfectly normal.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Had to abort a run for the first time this morning. W6R2. Looked comfortable on paper. 10 mins run, 3 min walk, another 10 mins run. Had to abort 3 mins from the end. Not entirely sure why, other than maybe a combo of doing that upward slope in PP with a hefty cold wind blowing right in my face. I know a lot of folks say W6 can catch you out, and I guess it did, tho not in the way I expected. Am pretty philosophical about it tho, I'm thinking repeating W6R2 will only make me that bit stronger when it comes to straight runs with no breather which is every run from here on in. We go again!

you missed the fit blondes in lycra yesterday then?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
However long you've been running, you'll always have days where it simply doesn't work.............it's very common indeed as any of the longer-term runners on here will testify. Sometimes it's the easiest of training runs that turn totally to ****. The thing you quickly learn to do is just write it off and fight another day - so really don't worry about it, it's perfectly normal.

Cheers for that mate. Good to know (well NOT good to know, if you know what I mean) that it happens to experienced runners also.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
you missed the fit blondes in lycra yesterday then?

Can only admire not only the lycra, but they way they trot along effortlessly, nattering away all the while, sometimes with dogs on a string, sometimes pushing prams. They make it look SO easy. Maybe I should invest in lycra. Or then again, maybe not. Best just stick to my Scotland top eh?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Cheers for that mate. Good to know (well NOT good to know, if you know what I mean) that it happens to experienced runners also.

I've done this with the runs I've missed, just like giving up smoking years ago, if I had a cheeky ciggie I wouldn't return to smoking just accept I feel of the wagon for that one ciggie. With the runs I've missed a day, or recently three days, but just accepted it and got back on with it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Can only admire not only the lycra, but they way they trot along effortlessly, nattering away all the while, sometimes with dogs on a string, sometimes pushing prams. They make it look SO easy. Maybe I should invest in lycra. Or then again, maybe not. Best just stick to my Scotland top eh?

Yeah, and then they all trotted over to Sainsburys to do their weekly shop! I got stuck behind their oh so tiny arses in the queue for an age :rant:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's really tricky........I know some parkruns have, for example, very elderly 'runners' who simply aren't going to improve, but I'm sure getting out and active does them the world of good, even if they're taking more than an hour. Not sure they should be excluded ? One option could be to say the course will start to be dismantled after, say 45 mins with only the tailgunner and one timing person staying until the end - not sure whether that would compromise H&S/insurance requirements though.

Tends to work the other way round normally - tailgunner follows the last person (in ultras they usually keep a discreet distance behind, and act as 'sweepers', taking down course markings, picking up and litter etc)

I don't think that there should be a definite time limit on the Parkrun, but it would be good if there was more positive encouragement to challenge participants to do the course as fast as they can. I've nothing but admiration for the octogenarians that plod round in 40-45 mins; they have to put some effort in for that. What annoys me is when you get relatively young people walking at an easy pace for the entire 5K who cross the line without even getting close to being out of breath, probably because that would make it hard for them to gas away with their mate for the hour it takes them to finish.

I think I have taken on some of the attitude of my old PE teacher (in the late 80s), who would jog at the back of the field during cross country PE lessons weilding a branch that he'd broken off of a tree, which he described as the 'whipper stick', to encourage any boys that he didn't feel were putting in the required amount of effort. Happy times.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Absolutely this. I’ll add that even when you have seemingly lived exactly the same way as say, the last week, sometimes it just doesn’t work and you have no idea why. Equally for some inexplicable reason some days you’ll be on fire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here