Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 1990 World Cup Semi-Final afters in West Street, Brighton...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Must admit its one thing I'm dreading about this campaign many people are too stupid to know how to celebrate and many are still even more stupid if we lose. Last few years we've been crap so getting knocked out has been less noticeable but this year its very different. Tonight and (if we win) Sunday has all the makings of a complete embarrassment for the UK

7pm KO probably too early for people to be really kegged up. That said, went to the pub against Belgium and there were some complete tools

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
7pm KO probably too early for people to be really kegged up. That said, went to the pub against Belgium and there were some complete tools

Depends if people have taken the afternoon off as well, certainly Sunday has the potential of 5 hours or so drinking before KO

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
There'll be loads of dickheads out tonight, it doesn't matter what time kick off is, they'll just power drink until they're sufficiently tanked up enough to act like *****. The result is irrelevant, they'll use it as an excuse either way.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I recall all the German cars losing badges and getting trashed.

I fear for the Croatian cars.

I'm not saying some football fans are a bit thick, but I'm quite pleased I don't have my Skoda anymore. Just in case it all goes wrong tonight...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm not saying some football fans are a bit thick, but I'm quite pleased I don't have my Skoda anymore. Just in case it all goes wrong tonight...

You lost me....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Strangely it was much quieter in Italy. The Germans in our hotel just took themselves quietly off to bed after we got back after the match, probably avoided a lot of problems all round.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There'll be loads of dickheads out tonight, it doesn't matter what time kick off is, they'll just power drink until they're sufficiently tanked up enough to act like *****. The result is irrelevant, they'll use it as an excuse either way.

If there was some trouble and vandalism after a win, it’ll definitely kick off after a loss. I remember it might’ve been 4 years ago, big groups of thugs rioting against the police in estates and small towns in South Yorkshire.

The usual thick grime, looking for any excuse to drag the country down.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The French rioted last night. There will be trouble, somewhere but really all it proves is that amongst 65 million people there are a few knobheads. Which we know already. Hopefully media will ignore and focus on the match.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Must admit its one thing I'm dreading about this campaign many people are too stupid to know how to celebrate and many are still even more stupid if we lose. Last few years we've been crap so getting knocked out has been less noticeable but this year its very different. Tonight and (if we win) Sunday has all the makings of a complete embarrassment for the UK
Will there be riot police using tear gas in The Mall...?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm sure a few on here will know the lad who was arrested and charged with manslaughter, spent time on remand and then acquitted due to lack of evidence. Just as Brighton itself was rougher in those days with no CCTV so the police had a habit of picking up anyone who happened to be in the area. He was a mate of mine and my friends at a time when pretty much everyone who went away knew each other because we'd only take 2 or 300 tops. I'd watched an earlier game with them but, for the semi, I had to work until 15 minutes in to the first half. I legged it home and watched with my dad.

I'll never know what pub I'd have been in had I not worked, or if I would have got involved. I'd like to think not but beer and peer pressure and crowds all do weird things to boys in their late teens and early 20s. And I might have just tried to walk away and got nicked anyway. I still find it all a bit scary TBH.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I sincerely hope that all of the local language schools have strongly advised their students to maintain a very low profile both today and at the weekend, because the streets will be awash with ****s who can't hold their drink and are looking to pick a fight with anybody who speaks foreign and looks at them a bit funny like

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I sincerely hope that all of the local language schools have strongly advised their students to maintain a very low profile both today and at the weekend, because the streets will be awash with ****s who can't hold their drink and are looking to pick a fight with anybody who speaks foreign and looks at them a bit funny like

I was thinking exactly the same earlier. I saw none around Saturday afternoon in fairness, so hopefully common sense and the language schools duty of care has prevailed.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I was thinking exactly the same earlier. I saw none around Saturday afternoon in fairness, so hopefully common sense and the language schools duty of care has prevailed.

It's a bit of a state though when that sort of precaution has to be taken by anyone just to avoid running into the wrong person. Kind of takes the nice off a bit :(

el punal

Blimey, I didn't realise it was that bad. Brighton was a rougher town back then

Brighton has always been a rough town. Think of Brighton Rock, the race gangs of the 1930/40s. Mods and Rockers in the 1960s.

Keith Waterhouse so aptly described Brighton as “a town assisting police with their enquiries.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here