Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How did Ryan walk back into the team tonight?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I know it's a running joke but I'm convinced a taller keeper would have reached the first. The second was terrible from defence and goalie.

Generally every time they crossed the ball in they looked like scoring. I just think button controls the box better.

Ryan is a decent keeper but overrated by many Albion fans and doesn't look half as good with no dunk or Duffy in front of him.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The question is, what was he doing bothering with a tournament where he was playing against the likes of UAE, Palestine, Syria, Uzbekistan, when he could have been playing for Brighton against Liverpool and Manchester United? His form was probably compromised by a mickey-mouse tournament.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
We won once with Button in goal and he was pretty shaky for the 1st half. Looks like we would have lost either way tonight.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Jet lag? You do know where the Asian cup was being played?
Small margins but that game kicked off at midnight Dubai time.

Regardless Ryan was very poor tonight

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The question is, what was he doing bothering with a tournament where he was playing against the likes of UAE, Palestine, Syria, Uzbekistan, when he could have been playing for Brighton against Liverpool and Manchester United? His form was probably compromised by a mickey-mouse tournament.

Because for him and other Asian players, it's the equivalent of the European Championships.

Because Australia were the holders going into the 2019 tournament.

Because he was in the 2015 team of the tournament.

Because he played in the 2015 Final and won.

Because he won the 2015 Golden Glove.

It probably means a lot to him.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I find it so hard to maintain the standards of courtesy required on NSC when you blithely hit the keyboard with such one dimensional pronouncements as this. He has been away in a totally different climate playing with a different group of players under a different coaching regime with different systems. He has then been put back in the team with only a couple of days to re-acclimatise effectively to team mates and weather before playing in foul conditions at Fulham on a bitter cold January night. The team and Button have had a month to play together and get used to each other and this was Button's old team against whom he would have been determined to do well. So it wasn't really a no brainer to to play Ryan. It might have been better to stick him on the bench and watch from the sidelines before a return on Saturday.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
All of that makes him more successful than any British goalkeeper at International level . . .for the last 50 years. . .

Because for him and other Asian players, it's the equivalent of the European Championships.

Because Australia were the holders going into the 2019 tournament.

Because he was in the 2015 team of the tournament.

Because he played in the 2015 Final and won.

Because he won the 2015 Golden Glove.

It probably means a lot to him.

I find it so hard to maintain the standards of courtesy required on NSC when you blithely hit the keyboard with such one dimensional pronouncements as this. He has been away in a totally different climate playing with a different group of players under a different coaching regime with different systems. He has then been put back in the team with only a couple of days to re-acclimatise effectively to team mates and weather before playing in foul conditions at Fulham on a bitter cold January night. The team and Button have had a month to play together and get used to each other and this was Button's old team against whom he would have been determined to do well. So it wasn't really a no brainer to to play Ryan. It might have been better to stick him on the bench and watch from the sidelines before a return on Saturday.
In what way is your view any more dimensional? If Button had played and also conceded four I'm sure you'd be on here wondering why Ryan hadn't been picked. To say he had trouble coping with the cold is insulting to Mat.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I don't believe you should name any player as your number 1, he should be fighting for his place as all the others have to in the squad.

Button should have kept the shirt until he showed a lack of form.

So the same posters could stamp their feet and moan that Ryan wasn’t playing and he should have been first choice the second he came back? You can’t win with some of the dinlos on here.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I can only presume he was jetlagged or maybe drunk?!? Absolutely rubbish. No control of the box , defence looked unsure with him back. Weak for the second goal.

Button has done well. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but he should never have lost the shirt and should be back in the team on Saturday.

I don't think Ryan was to blame for any of the goals - I've only watched the highlights so can't comment on the whole game but BOTH teams did a crap job of closing down the opposition attacks. The Fulham left for Murray's first was like Moses parting the waves.

I am reliably informed that there is no jet lag coming from the Middle East. He is our No 1 so it was a no brainer that he should play ASAP.

Jetlag? He's only been to the Middle East, not Australia.

On this occasion BG is entirely correct - 4 hours is prime jet lag territory - I'd usually a couple days to recover from a few days in New York where you don't fully adjust over there(1 hour more, I know), Ryan was in UAE for weeks right?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
So the same posters could stamp their feet and moan that Ryan wasn’t playing and he should have been first choice the second he came back? You can’t win with some of the dinlos on here.
Odd point everyone is entitled to an opinion and people will disagree, that's the whole point of a message board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here