Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Travel Tips: Aurora Borealis

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Monday night I was in Lapland. It was a cloudy night. My bedroom window looked across a frozen river. On the other side of that river was a treeline with next to nothing in the way of civilisation beyond it. Certainly no towns or villages. But the clouds were illuminated bright white and pink. But it wasn't green and whispy and moving like on all the picture perfect vids and postcards you ever saw. So you automatically start scrabbling around for other explanations to explain away what you're seeing.

Some northern lights are red so maybe the clouds were diluting the red colours?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We saw them in New Year’s Eve up in Lapland back in 2016. They were blummin’ incredible. We’re talking pulsing waves of green light sweeping across the sky, and the timing meant we counted down to midnight underneath them. We were incredibly lucky though, that was our last chance to have seen them as we were flying back the following day. To maximise your chances you’d have to go for a reasonable amount of time (between a week and 10 days) and be very patient. Sometimes you see the promise of a haze only to be bitterly disappointed at how cloudy it is. There’s also quite a few apps that can tell you the forecast and the likelihood of seeing them. As others have said in this thread, theres no guarantee you will see them but it’s just a matter of maximising your chances.

EDIT: here’s a photo, apologies for the quality.
View attachment 104068

Hi, great post. Your attachment won’t open.

Did you require quality photographic equipment to see the Northern Lights in its full glory? I’ve heard the same as [MENTION=14113]tom[/MENTION] Hark that, to the naked eye, it can be a disappointment. (I hope that’s wrong!).

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Hi, great post. Your attachment won’t open.

Did you require quality photographic equipment to see the Northern Lights in its full glory? I’ve heard the same as [MENTION=14113]tom[/MENTION] Hark that, to the naked eye, it can be a disappointment. (I hope that’s wrong!).

18C69796-7D96-48F1-9908-4A8CE66F2D80.jpeg

This is another pic of it. Hope this one works this time!

Answering your question: 1) you absolutely need good quality photo equipment to take a good picture of the northern lights, the photos I uploaded were taken with some strange app that increased phone camera exposure. Im only starting to get into photography myself but youd need a decent DSLR with a tripod at minimum.

2) I can guarantee you they were not a disappointment. The photo really doesnt do it justice. It was an incredibly vivid green wave of energy that snaked across the sky, very visible to the naked eye. Id only say don’t expect loads of different colours as I think that’s very rare, but when you see a proper aurora borealis, it’s brilliant.

Last edited:

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
I would avoid Iceland if aurora is the main criteria. Stunning country which I highly recommend, but the weather is unpredictable and often cloudy, so even when there is decent aurora activity you often can't see it.

I would head to Norway out of preference. The Lofoten islands is the main area I went - the landscapes are on a par with anywhere in the world, and they have better conditions for seeing northern lights. Other areas may be less remote, but with equally good possibilities to see the lights. Both countries are ridiculously expensive but if you can go for a few days highly worth it. Don't let winter put you off - you can still see lots despite the short days, and the evenings have northern lights possibilities. Great trip.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
A certain website's ratings on best places to see the Aurora Borealis.

1. Tromso, Norway

2. Reykjavik (harbor), Iceland

3. Lapland, Finland

4. Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

5. Fairbanks, Alaska, USA

6. Abisko National Park, Sweden

7. Murmansk, Russia

8. Nuuk, Greenland

9. Also one for the Aurora Australis (Southern Lights) is South Georgia Island, Antarctica

I was a bit disappointed to see Canada come up as 4th in the ratings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
View attachment 104070

This is another pic of it. Hope this one works this time!

Answering your question: 1) you absolutely need good quality photo equipment to take a good picture of the northern lights, the photos I uploaded were taken with some strange app that increased phone camera exposure. Im only starting to get into photography myself but youd need a decent DSLR with a tripod at minimum.

2) I can guarantee you they were not a disappointment. The photo really doesnt do it justice. It was an incredibly vivid green wave of energy that snaked across the sky, very visible to the naked eye. Id only say don’t expect loads of different colours as I think that’s very rare, but when you see a proper aurora borealis, it’s brilliant.

Your photo does it justice, nature is amazing. Hopefully we’ll get to visit that part of the world at some stage.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A certain website's ratings on best places to see the Aurora Borealis.

1. Tromso, Norway

2. Reykjavik (harbor), Iceland

3. Lapland, Finland

4. Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

5. Fairbanks, Alaska, USA

6. Abisko National Park, Sweden

7. Murmansk, Russia

8. Nuuk, Greenland

9. Also one for the Aurora Australis (Southern Lights) is South Georgia Island, Antarctica

I saw their subjective list too, I think it’s made up. Loads of disappointing stories about Iceland due to its cover of cloud. Although a beautiful place to visit anyway.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Your photo does it justice, nature is amazing. Hopefully we’ll get to visit that part of the world at some stage.

Thanks, it really is one of those sights that makes you realise how staggeringly beautiful (and terrifying) the universe is, wishing you the best of luck! :thumbsup:

I wouldn’t have put Lapland that high based on how hard it was for us to see them. Every time we had the forecast app on it seemed like Canada was the ideal place.

Last edited:

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
For us ... Iceland ... No ... Lapland ... No ... Churchill, Canada ... Yes, oh Yes!

If you do get lucky enough to see them you'll never forget the experience.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Go on a cruise more chance of seeing the aurora borealis than staying in one location plus drinks are likely to be included in the cost

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Went on a Northen Lights cruise and didn’t see a thing.
Did have better luck in Calgary City center wandering back from a bar
wondering if some club was putting on a light show until the penny dropped.
Amazing
Am told Abisko is very good, head away from the coast to avoid cloud, fog etc.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I went a couple of years ago for my 50th birthday, I was bit apprehensive about it after looking at pictures and hearing about how cold it was, but it turned out to be one of the best holidays i’ve ever had, if not THE best. Ok it’s cold, very cold, but as long as you’re prepared properly for it, it’s not a problem and it just adds to the atmosphere of the place which, like someone else said, it’s like being on another planet. I would recommend taking one of the excursions to see the Lights, most of them will take you out again if you fail to see anything the first time. We were lucky enough to see the lights, but only just, they fired up just as we were about to return to the hotel but they were a bit disappointing, like a swirling white cloud rather than the green colour you see in pictures, but they came out green in my photos. Even if you don’t see the lights there’s plenty more to see, the scenery is spectacular. It is very expensive so try and take as many provisions as you can, that’s what we did.

91ACF4BC-ABB0-40EB-9FF6-95F30A36AD6A.jpeg

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
For us ... Iceland ... No ... Lapland ... No ... Churchill, Canada ... Yes, oh Yes!

If you do get lucky enough to see them you'll never forget the experience.

Churchill has suffered from a railroad issue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/world/canada/canada-climate-change-arctic.html

It's an interesting story because the issue deals with climate change.

Although they did get the rail connection back in December.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/churchill-passenger-rail-departs-winnipeg-1.4929478

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I'm beginning to think we were quite lucky then in Iceland in November. Seeing the lights was our main hope for the trip. Got to our cabin, sat in the hot tub for half an hour and there they were - spectacular show for the next hour.

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
Churchill has suffered from a railroad issue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/world/canada/canada-climate-change-arctic.html

It's an interesting story because the issue deals with climate change.

Although they did get the rail connection back in December.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/churchill-passenger-rail-departs-winnipeg-1.4929478

Oh that is quite sad, train was how we got there from Winnipeg cost was quite reasonable as I remember.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here