Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Europa League 2

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think it actually makes it harder for us to get into the Europa League. I read the "7th" nomination would go into Europa League 2.

So we have 1 spot less in the Europa League, which essentially means whilst the chances of getting into Europe remain the same the chances of qualifying for the Europa League are reduced. So if we took the 7th spot we'd qualify for EL2 but we wouldn't be playing any of Europe's elite. Currently we could get into EL as 7th EPL representative and perhaps play a big club that drops out of the Champions League in 3rd place. We'd lose that possibility in the new format.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
"Could be our chance to win something unless the UEFA League teams will drop down like the Champions League 3rd place ones do."

Nothing like getting ahead of ourselves!

All I want before I pass from this world is an afternoon in a sunny European square drinking strong beer with a few hundred of your good selves and some friendly locals.
If sausage is involved then all the better.

PG

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Could be our chance to win something unless the UEFA League teams will drop down like the Champions League 3rd place ones do.

No it won't, as most teams "rest" players for the Europa League as it is, by the time you have teams in Europa League 2, the clubs involved (including us) will be putting out an U23 side.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its got a Zenith Data Systems feel about it..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What, like US?

Potentially.

Not sure I'd want us nausing up the start of our PL campaign by jetting off to the arse-end of Ukraine to play some mob we've never heard of and can't even pronounce tbh. Its well and truly BANJO'D Burnleys season this year.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Potentially.

Not sure I'd want us nausing up the start of our PL campaign by jetting off to the arse-end of Ukraine to play some mob we've never heard of and can't even pronounce tbh. Its well and truly BANJO'D Burnleys season this year.
I think Burnley are playing true to their ability this year. Last year was an enormous outlier.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think Burnley are playing true to their ability this year. Last year was an enormous outlier.

Maybe. But they ended up shoe-horning in 6 or 8 additional games in a fairly short space of time - not easy, especially as they hardly added to their squad in the summer, so it did leave them stretched.

If we somehow scraped into this new tinpot European competition it WOULD be a nice little adventure though, depending on the luck of the draw. A trip to an obscure little corner of Europe could be fun if it was somewhere warm, as [MENTION=3018]Peter Grummit[/MENTION] says. As long as it doesn't derail the start of the proper stuff.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
First time I've used Tapatalk. This is what happened when I tried an edit. Now there's no edit button for either of the posts!

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Should be able to long press the post and bring up an edit button, but there's a time limit on editing.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Who cares? Europe here we come for one game at least. :lolol: Till recently Le Harve was the most exciting away game we'd ever had! :lolol::lolol:

1983 July. Standard liege ..lost both games vs liege teams and it was very scary at night in the bars around the city....

Those were the days

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
"More inclusive" = any old shite can qualify.

That's not the case. The number of teams each nation has in European competition hasn't changed. The English leagues will still only have 7 clubs playing in Europe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here