Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wilfried Zaha and Brighton racism

Anyone trundling our the ‘its not racist as not only black people get malaria.’ Fine, feel free to consider it xenophobic rather than racist. Being that Zaha was born in the Ivory Coast and malaria is strongly associated with Africa.

For those who want to claim that i’m an apologist for the homophobes in our fan base, feel free to check my post history. I’ve always condemned homophobia. I’m a handwringing lefty like the vast majority of you.

Yep fair enough you are totally right to pull us up on this

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember years ago at Watford in pub on the roundabout near the ground, and a group of Albion fans were having a chat and a drink when one of them started singing “their ain’t no black....”

Hold on, to a man every single one of them, stopped him and I remember one them asked this guy “Jesus mate how long have you been out of the loop”

What I’m trying to say, as others have already said all clubs have people with unpleasant views and opinions. That is a fact and that is unavoidable. What we do about it is what speaks volumes, that supporter all those years ago, obviously came to the match that day on a jolly and drank too much, and made a complete tool of himself, he was not a supporter.

I remember sitting in the South stand, around 96. Someone in the opposition team did something or other to annoy a bloke sitting near me, who was moved to shout 'you n*****!' at him. Everyone sitting near wes dumbstruck, apart from one bloke who pointed out what, for the rest of us was our second thought, that the target of the abuse was....white. As were most if not all the payers on the pitch. Bizarre. Its a sort of tourettes type thing with some peope, possibly :shrug:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i don't see any racism in that chant at all ....you can get malaria in thailand, australia , china or african.......palace pillocks clutching at straws.....

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What the **** has Malaria got to do with Racism !
I've heard Palarse fans on trains singing racist songs about their own players with Britain first badges on their jackets, and they were about 30/40 years old.
Dear oh dear oh dear.
Yeah, we all know what wonderful, dear little Cherubs all Palace fans are don't we ?
Especially the scummy little runts in black hoodies without tickets that pushed their own fans out of the way down at Brighton to get in.
You are an A1 hypocrite old chap.

I’ve heard CPFC and CPFC 2010 fans suggest that we Brighton fans have AIDS! I laughed at that, should have gone onto the board and complained! #whataboutery

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If it was "sickle cell aneamia" rather than "malaria" it could be construed as racist.

But it might explain why he falls over after sprinting 10 yards.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
.....and you're less likely to get malaria if you have sickle cell anaemia.

Epidemiology fact of the day.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
i don't see any racism in that chant at all ....you can get malaria in thailand, australia , china or african.......palace pillocks clutching at straws.....

I am of the view that it could be construed as culturist. If that's a thing. I wouldn't sing it, but it is not racist.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If it was "sickle cell aneamia" rather than "malaria" it could be construed as racist.

But it might explain why he falls over after sprinting 10 yards.

Maybe some affliction of the inner ear, leading to balance problems, or, one of my ancestors, back in the mists of time died of 'The Falling Down Disease' , no idea what it was in modern day terms, but, maybe Dazet should get it checked out.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Next season I propose a chant, "Wilfred Zaha's got diphtheria'.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Maybe some affliction of the inner ear, leading to balance problems, or, one of my ancestors, back in the mists of time died of 'The Falling Down Disease' , no idea what it was in modern day terms, but, maybe Dazet should get it checked out.

'House' would have a look, probably 'lupus' ...... I don't have a clue what that is....

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It has been clarifed several times, the booing was for his actions post-verdict where he sought to undermine the result, including in an interview on your club website which was unprofessional imo.

No, this is the excuse, not the reason. We've been over this. Bong said he was racially abused, JR said no way did he do that, the FA investigated and at the end basically said "we haven't got a ****ing clue", at which point JR said 'I'm definitely innocent' and Bong said 'It definitely happened'

Its a textbook case of one man's word against another, and you've chosen to believe JR over Bong, which is absolutely fine, but then also chose to boo Bong incessantly in your thousands for a full 90 minutes, which isn't absolutely fine at all.

those kids in the video singing that song, absolute pricks.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
No, this is the excuse, not the reason. We've been over this. Bong said he was racially abused, JR said no way did he do that, the FA investigated and at the end basically said "we haven't got a ****ing clue", at which point JR said 'I'm definitely innocent' and Bong said 'It definitely happened'

Its a textbook case of one man's word against another, and you've chosen to believe JR over Bong, which is absolutely fine, but then also chose to boo Bong incessantly in your thousands for a full 90 minutes, which isn't absolutely fine at all.

those kids in the video singing that song, absolute pricks.

There should be an NSC book, and that should be innit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is there a history of Malaria being used as a racist insult? I'm not saying it isn't, I simply don't understand it. Malaria is a problem around the world, and it doesn't discriminate. Weird.

And obviously I condemn all racism.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Is Malaria only associated with black people? We’re so lucky being white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly people with not much intelligence would associate catching Malaria from one of many poverty stricken Africa countries dominated by black people.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sadly people with not much intelligence would associate catching Malaria from one of many poverty stricken Africa countries dominated by black people.
Yep, Zaha is definitely poverty stricken.

The evidence seems to suggest that those chanting on the train are idiots.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Given the loud noise you have made against Burnley’s supposed racism, I suspect you’ll be hunting down your fans for their actual racism against Wilfried Zaha?

https://t.co/7CGa83OhWK

****ing hell. Really dipping into the 'whataboutery' sack now, are you 12? Jesus, a handful of morons, embarrassing passengers into humouring their moronic attempt at 'humour' against a stadium full of people booing a black player over a racist issue. Lend me your brain mate, i'm building a ****ing idiot.

You sad prick. **** off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here