Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1984/85

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Howdy,

Just to let you know that Tuesday night's edition of Seagull for the visiting of Wolves will be focusing on the 1984/85 season when Albion, under Chris Cattlin's guidance, missed out on promotion to the top flight by a couple of points (one more win, given Manchester City's superior goal difference, would have done it).

If names such as Steve Penney, Frank Worthington, Terry Connor, Danny Wilson and Hans Kraay mean anything to you - or if you want to brush up on your Albion history - then this is for you. Chris Hutchings, who was ever-present in the side that season, will also be sharing his memories in our question and answer section.

Feel free to share your own memories of the 1984/85 season, or of the men who featured in that side, on here. Incidentally, can anyone recall Graham Moseley's outstanding feat that year?

Just to recap, to mark the impending 20th anniversary of the Goldstone's demise we are remembering stand-out seasons from our time at the old place in each edition of the programme throughout this season.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the retro pieces in Seagull.

All the best,
Spencer (Albion fan, sports writer & author)
[MENTION=23620]Spencer[/MENTION]Vignes

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Moseley was ever present for the whole 42 games and I think conceded the fewest goals in a league season.... (34 off the top of my head)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Remember the last game against Sheff utd. Bearing in mind it was the day of the Bradford fire it was a rather surreal experience go be chased by their finest after the match

I think the last away game was against Grimsby and we scored a couple of late goals to set up the last day.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
If only we'd had the play-offs then....:moo:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I remember the first home game of the season: A midweek game against Notts County. We won 2-1 (I think) and Justin Fashanu (RIP) who at the time was playing for County, was a villain that night, kicking lumps and knocking the crap out of our defenders.

I watched the game from the East Terrace as the North Stand was still being redeveloped with its new roof. The North Stand reopened a couple of months later.(or thereabouts)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Chris Catlin inherited a good basis of a team and was a fine tactition who in the end was poorly treated by the club having just missed out on promotion

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Howdy,

Just to let you know that Tuesday night's edition of Seagull for the visiting of Wolves will be focusing on the 1984/85 season when Albion, under Chris Cattlin's guidance, missed out on promotion to the top flight by a couple of points (one more win, given Manchester City's superior goal difference, would have done it).

If names such as Steve Penney, Frank Worthington, Terry Connor, Danny Wilson and Hans Kraay mean anything to you - or if you want to brush up on your Albion history - then this is for you. Chris Hutchings, who was ever-present in the side that season, will also be sharing his memories in our question and answer section.

Feel free to share your own memories of the 1984/85 season, or of the men who featured in that side, on here. Incidentally, can anyone recall Graham Moseley's outstanding feat that year?

Just to recap, to mark the impending 20th anniversary of the Goldstone's demise we are remembering stand-out seasons from our time at the old place in each edition of the programme throughout this season.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the retro pieces in Seagull.

All the best,
Spencer (Albion fan, sports writer & author)
[MENTION=23620]Spencer[/MENTION]Vignes

My first away game at Maine Road we lost 2-0 i think.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Went to a lot games that season, should be a cracking read about a very good team. In fact I would say the best (other than the old Div 1 team before that) until Poyet's play-off team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
1984-85 marked a personal landmark for me - my first game without adult supervision. I was 13 and had just started a paper round so I had some of my own money for the first time. I went in to town on Saturday morning to the arcades in West Street and, in the first one, I heard a group of lads a bit older than me discussing doing to the game against Wimbledon that afternoon. "I'd rather do that than stick my money in this arcade game " I thought to myself and left again. I then spent most of the morning trying to convince my mum I was going with a responsible friend (I wasn't) and that I would be ok (she thought I would be beaten up or arrested on the spot). Eventually she agreed "so long as you go in the family stand" which, that season, was the South East corner.

I dutifully stood there. I can't remember who scored first but it was 1-1 in to the second half. I remember thinking not much had happened. Also that it was very dull in the South East and that, actually, my mum would have no idea at all if I went in the North Stand. Just then Frank Worthington cracked a shot in to the south goal from about 30 yards out, in off the underside of the bar for our winner. Right in front of me.

I was hooked but from there until we left I stood in the North Stand.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Worthington's long range effort versus Wimbledon counts as my own personal highlight of that season as well. Took off like a golf shot from his left foot. Sublime. And as for that Notts County game! God rest his soul, but how Justin came to be an Albion player less than 12 months later having committed GBH on our backline that evening is still beyond me.

Regarding Moseley, Tony Le Mes you're along the right lines - he conceded the fewest goals, and was ever present. But, and this is what I was thinking of, no team managed to put more than two goals past him in the league all season. The more you think about it, the more remarkable that gets. Aldershot managed three in a League Cup tie, but in the 42 league fixtures the maximum was two. Small wonder we chose him as our Player of the Season.

D

Deleted User X18H

Getting run in Hove Park by Oxford always sticks out as a memory.

A school mate who got a bit over excited was grabbed by a copper and wailed '' sorry sorry my uncles in the police''.
I occasionally remind him of that moment to this day.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
.....oh, and forgot to mention, 'Mose' was also the first Albion goalkeeper ever to receive that accolade.

Always remember one game in particular that season at home to Carlisle. 3-1 up, and Carlisle get a penalty at the North Stand end. 'Mose' saves, only for the referee to order a retake. And Graham goes and saves the re-take as well! A big turning point in a match we went on to win 4-1.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Yeah, I remember trouble after the Oxford game as well, which really surprised me (well, you don't tend to associate Oxford with hooligans, do you?).

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patreon
Jan 30, 2008
it was a rather surreal experience go be chased by their finest after the match

With respect they tried to take a few libertys but we soon had them turning on their toes when they came running at the north stand. some of us still have the scars but in the day you stood youre ground

Regards
DR

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
For whatever the reason i seem to remember the police lined up all the oxford opposite the northstand after the game by the bus stop , what happened next was a bit wild west i definitely had to check my y fronts after a coppers horse charged at us full pelt , most of the 80s were a blur , i can remember snippits of games but could not put dates to them if my life depended on it .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here