Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Mine is a democratic extension of a democratic vote, yours is fantasy bullshit for losers....a losers referendum......i wont be playing.
You have already voted for the deal though in a deal or no deal vote...........no need for a further referendum.

Never really thought you would. I doubt you would even commit to saying which way you would vote in your own Mays deal/No Deal referendum. Not that it takes much balls, but I guess having none makes it difficult.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The HoC rejected May's deal by a record 230 votes. By definition that has to be a Bad Deal. I don't see that a time limit on the backstop is going to make it a Good Deal all of a sudden, so if No Deal is better than a Bad Deal right now it looks like we're crashing out.
If (hypothetically) parliament was asked to vote on No Deal, the defeat would be by more than 230 votes.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If parliament wanted a binary referendum on leaving the EU with a deal or leaving the EU without a deal in place it would word the referendum question and answers accordingly. We have already had a referendum where the two known legal repercussions of voting leave (deal or no deal) applied

Not true. Parliament cannot do whatever it wants, it has to abide by certain restrictions, one of which would be that the test of the question requires sign off by the Electoral Commission. It also has the scope to return to Parliament and say that the question being asked is not fit for purpose for a number of reasons, and this would be one of the reasons. They've been burned quite significantly over the two most recent referendums (Scottish Independence and the EU) so would have additional scrutiny on them to act impartially in this respect.

This is assuming, of course, that such an act would even get through Parliament. Given the numbers it's highly likely Parliament could not pass a law calling for a "Deal vs No Deal" vote and it would end up being "Deal vs Remain" on sheer mathematics. The numbers are not there to get No Deal on the ballot.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Tusk this morning ' special place in hell for those who promoted Brexit without any plan for how to carry it'

No doubt Liam Fox will say he is still looking for a free trade deal with hell

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
So here is the way I see no deal Brexit. Let's forget about planes falling out of the sky, lorries backing up the length of Kent, no drugs and food shortages. Simply take those out of the equation and also what might happened to Sterling. Let's concede to our Brexiteer friends that ALL this is Project Fear Mark 2 and baseless - or at least unpredictable.

So no deal

1. We set no tariffs. We've already got no tariffs on goods from the EU (no change there) and all the other countries which have free trade deals with the EU. (from which we are now excluded).

2. Our businesses will face the external tariff set by the EU. They will lose competitveness in our biggest single market. Some sectors will be all but wiped out - eg Welsh lamb. But overnight we will priced ourselves out of EU markets (Brexiteers can blame them: it makes no difference to the outcome).

3. We will have no free trade deals. This means that we can't set tariffs on anywhere (most favoured nation). Great news! We'll be flooded with cheap imports. This will wipe out some industries - e.g. ceramics in Brexit loving Stoke. But it will impact on all our industries that have foreign competition. (Our components sourced from overseas might be cheaper though.)

4. Now here's the rub. When we start looking to negotiate free trade deals what leverage will we have?? We don't have tariff bargaining chips on the table.

Please tell me if I have any of this wrong. If it's not wrong is this in any way a good scenario? And notice I've not mentioned the hard border with Eire...…………..

I'm happy to stand corrected; perhaps I've over-reacted to rumours that Liam Fox is planning for a zero tariff future.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1093114757081493504[/TWEET]

Expect this ought to trigger a few of the snowflakes in the Brexit camp

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not wanting to take sides or anything but Donald Tusk is absolutely spot on.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'm sure if he pops over to Greece and speaks to those that lost their jobs, homes and family members thanks to his organisation will gladly guide him to his own place in hell.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

But they did have a sketch of a plan, unfortunately there were Unicorns, Pixies and Fairy castles in the sketch.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Varadkar: They'll give you terrible trouble in the British press.
Tusk: Yes! I know! Ha, ha, ha.

:bowdown:

[tweet]1093119102279974918[/tweet]

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm sure if he pops over to Greece and speaks to those that lost their jobs, homes and family members thanks to his organisation will gladly guide him to his own place in hell.

Not that you're bothered, but I'm sure if some of the English Brexiteers without a plan pop over to Ireland shortly, they'll find out what he and Varadkar were referring to.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Simple question.

If May gets a deal that parliament then says " we will put this to the people in a sic people's vote" and the Great British public say no to it...what then happens...we crash out without a deal, or we cancel brexit had tell the great British public the original referendum was a farce?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Varadkar: They'll give you terrible trouble in the British press.
Tusk: Yes! I know! Ha, ha, ha.

:bowdown:

[tweet]1093119102279974918[/tweet]

What is the point of such a deliberately confrontational statement? It's not like it's going to bring anyone on his side, is it?

You don't win arguments by insulting people.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What is the point of such a deliberately confrontational statement? It's not like it's going to bring anyone on his side, is it?

You don't win arguments by insulting people.

It's nothing that the ERG, DUP, and right wing press in this country haven't been doing to Dublin and The EU.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

agree with the sentiment, though im very uncomfortable about someone in that position using language like that. its hardly diplomatic and serves as ammo for the leavers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here